2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I know there are a few threads on converting the 3rd brake light to LEDs, but I just wanted to contribute on this ebay item that I got and it's great.
09 10 11 MAZDA3 HB LED 3rd Brake Mazda 3 5D 2010 RED: eBay Motors (item 190416950334 end time Aug-10-10 03:38:23 PDT)

First off, remove the cover from the hatch that covers the light housing by pulling it away. There are 4 tabs holding the cover on.

You should see the housing for the 3rd brake light. Remove it by pressing against the tabs from the inside. Reach in the hole and pop it out. Pretty easy. Advise not to try and pry it out from pulling on the housing, almost did and felt like it might crack.

When it comes out, you'll see the oem bulb. Bulb pulls out and the socket twists out from the housing. You do not need to remove the socket from the wiring connector as the new LED wires has an adaptor that plugs in where the bulb was in the socket itself.

To remove the oem lens from the housing, just peel off the felt tape that run along the bottom of the housing and lens (you do not need that tape anymore as TheSpeedline supply a new one), and using a small flat-head screwdriver (or whatever flat enough to fit in the tabs) pop off the lens.

To put in the new LED/lens, just simply snap it on! Use the supplied felt tape to secure the lens to the housing as the oem was. I'm not sure you really need this as the oem tape wasn't even on well, I put mine on better.

Take the white plug from the LED light and plug it into the oem socket. You may have to fiddle with the wires that are on the LED plug as I was having a bit of connection issues. When I plugged it into the socket, the wires did not connect well. I just pushed the wires to the sides of the plug and when inserted into the socket, no prob.

There is also an orange wire that is for the "2 stage running" effect, but I couldn't figure out where it connects to. The instructions say to connect it to the "color wire," but didn't work for me. If you just want to run it as a normal 3rd brake light as I did, don't worry about the orange wire. I just left mine alone and tucked it into the housing.

That's it. Just test it out to make sure it works, put everyting back how you removed it, and you're good to go!

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only junk thing is you can't see it. :tongue:

·
Registered
21 Posts
looks good but 54 american is pretty expensive!!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Anyone know how to remove the 3rd break light for mazda3 4 doors sedan?
Thanks.
I saw it the other day going through the manual...check it out

·
Registered
10 Posts
looks like a great product, but too much money....stupid shipping cost. $50 total would be a perfect.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe they are white leds behind a red lense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would guess that they are red leds. You want to use the same color led as the lens (red lens/red led, amber lens/amber led) to keep the lens from blocking the light. The clear lens one definately use red leds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you happen to take a pic of the plug when you placed the wires at the side? I got mine but I plugged it in but not sure how i'm supposed to move them and how far. Mine didn't light up at all.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you happen to take a pic of the plug when you placed the wires at the side? I got mine but I plugged it in but not sure how i'm supposed to move them and how far. Mine didn't light up at all.
Sorry I didn't take a pic. I just made sure they matched and made contact within the socket. If you look inside the socket, you can kind of see how far you need to push them over to make contact with the tabs in there. It's kind of hit or miss, and luckily I hit it on the second try.

·
AcrophobiA
144 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wonder what the "2nd stage" thing does. Hook up +12 to it?

Maybe it flashes the 3rd brake light when you brake like on some Subaru's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts