2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great info, thank you! Did you mount the tweeters in the corners of the dash where the Bose speakers are? Alpine makes some great amps and that is a good one! I plan on a similar set up. I'm not sure when you got yours but they issued a recall a couple of years ago in case you weren't aware.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with some hearing loss so my thoughts may be a little askew.
Google Play music stores one's own files for playback without the need to subscribe. I have thousands of tracks uploaded. Some of those tracks are .flac. They seem to playback fine without intervention. To use Google play Music in my car I use Android Auto, the AIO version.

As an after-thought: Google play music can also be directed to play files held locally on the phone. An OTG cable to a thumb drive will bring all those flacs within scope of Google Play Music playback, wont it?

·
Banned
452 Posts
Great work CK! Can you tell the difference between FLAC and say MP3 @ 320kbps?
Yes.

With proper audio equipment. Yes.

On BT crappy speakers. Nope.

I have a system in my ride which delivers a lot of detail. The difference is noticeable to me.. especially at higher volumes... I can ABX it with my headphones.. I was using 256 aac tvbr files and comparing them against FLAC and ALAC. It wasn't a huge margin.. but I avgd 7 out of 10. Used a lot of Floyd and Zeppelin tracks.

Focal 6.5" component speakers/tweets.. Dynamat on all 5 doors.. Audiocontrol LC8 processor and Alpine PDR-V75 amp.
CK
No, you dont need anything remotely high end to hear it, i can tell the difference on my Logitech 5.1 computer speakers as well as (more so) on my Bose speakers in the car.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Update.. my car's GraceNote POS system does not natively support gapless playback. What a joke.. tried playing aac, mp3 and WMA and none would playback the media gaplessly when connected via USB. Tried a 256 gb flash drive.. a 500 gb portable SSD.. even my Samsung S10 wasn't gapless via USB. Auxiliary and BT audio from it are gapless, but not when plugged into a USB.

If I connect my iPod Classic via USB it plays back all supported formats gaplessly... no issues.

I'll look into updating the car's music database next and see if that does anything to fix it.

Otherwise I'm going back to my iPod Classic.. AAC 256 TVBR files.. as it works with this joke of a system somehow.
CK

·
Banned
452 Posts
Otherwise I'm going back to my iPod Classic.. AAC 256 TVBR files.. as it works with this joke of a system somehow.
CK
One thing im curious about is, if itll work with a Creative Zen USB 2.0 from way back when. I snagged one for a good price, but i need an XP machine to load songs on it and wanna update it to SD instead of HDD which will also increase the capacity

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It needs to be FAT32 formatted and it will work. With a dedicated media player with gapless programming in the firmware.. I would assume it would support it.

I listen to a lot of DJ mixes (funky stuff..not lollipops and glowsticks) and those breaks in the mix are absolute groove killers. Startling somewhat too.. which sucks when driving.

What I really want is the new Sony Walkman with the 4.4mm balanced headphone jack and it natively supports gapless and should playback songs gaplessly just fine. Get a 512 GB SD card load it with WMA lossless and cross my fingers.
CK

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Updated GraceNote to its latest version, which hasn't been updated since June 2018.. and while a little smoother, it does not support gapless playback when connecting your media with a flash drive or SSD.

My iPod Classic still works flawlessly, but I find it pretty pathetic that Sony can't implement gapless playback on a media player like this.

Now I'm stuck with a potential upgrade to AA to get lossless audio to work properly... sigh.. thank God for my iPod.
CK

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Solution: replace iPod Classic internal HD with a 512 GB SSD...new battery...full library of ALAC files playing back lossless and gapless?

Can't wait for the piece to arrive to allow me to do this. I have two 160 GB 7th gens that I use for different things.
CK

Side note: 4 hours and 575 albums are transcoded from FLAC image files to ALAC single per track files with tags and cover art included. Select and right click..saving to an external SSD.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Solution: replace iPod Classic internal HD with a 512 GB SSD...new battery...full library of ALAC files playing back lossless and gapless?

Can't wait for the piece to arrive to allow me to do this. I have two 160 GB 7th gens that I use for different things.
CK

Side note: 4 hours and 575 albums are transcoded from FLAC image files to ALAC single per track files with tags and cover art included. Select and right click..saving to an external SSD.
@CerealKiller, what's the latest on this? I've been trying to follow but you have done so much work that I would rather ask you outright:
  1. Do you "need" an iPod or other dedicated player?
  2. Do you need to install a certain version of Gracenote?
  3. Do you need to install AIO Tweaks? If so, which version?
  4. Can I use a flash drive on which I carry all my flac files and just plug it in to play?
  5. I'd appreciate any assistance you could provide to cut through so much varying data.
  6. If it's too much information for a general post, please feel free to PM me directly.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
@CerealKiller, what's the latest on this? I've been trying to follow but you have done so much work that I would rather ask you outright:
  1. Do you "need" an iPod or other dedicated player? - To have gapless audio playback and ALAC (Apple Lossless) support... yes.
  2. Do you need to install a certain version of Gracenote? - Didn't make a difference on the two versions I tested.
  3. Do you need to install AIO Tweaks? If so, which version? - No tweaks installed. Don't use.
  4. Can I use a flash drive on which I carry all my flac files and just plug it in to play? - FLAC files are only supported through tweaks. WMA lossless would work on a flash drive and play through the Connect system just fine. Only problem... no gapless audio support this way... small break in audio between tracks.
  5. I'd appreciate any assistance you could provide to cut through so much varying data.
  6. If it's too much information for a general post, please feel free to PM me directly.
Thank you!
Please see above.
CK

21 - 30 of 30 Posts