2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tiny Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week my wife took her '14 3i Touring into the dealer for a clunk we've noticed on it for the past couple of months. It seemed to come from the driver's side when turning left, and was worse when going over bumps. I jacked it up and didn't see or feel anything loose so we didn't rush to the dealer.

The part's ordered so she'll have to take it back in, but she did have some paperwork with the diagnosis on it, which mentions a TSB 06-001/15, applicable to early 2014-15 Mazda 3, 6, and CX-5. Apparently the left side inner tie rod's ball joint can get stuck and make a popping noise. The repair calls to change out the inner tie rod and align the car.

Here's a link to a page with some more information:

UNUSUAL NOISE WHEN STARTING TO MOVE VEHICLE WHILE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED TO FULL LEFT POSITION ? 2013-2015 Mazda VehiclesOEMDTC - OEMDTC

I'll update once the repair is complete to make sure it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've had the clunking noise for a while now but been lazy to take it in lol Let us know how it goes, I'll probably take it in one of these days when I have more time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this is related to a clunking noise I hear from the driver's side front wheel whenever I go over a speed bump... I'll have to try the TSB instructions to see if I get the same clunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if this is related to a clunking noise I hear from the driver's side front wheel whenever I go over a speed bump... I'll have to try the TSB instructions to see if I get the same clunk.
Hi there. Would you mind posting an update on this if you find anything? I have the same problem but they couldnt find anything at the dealership. Thanks!

·
Tiny Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there. Would you mind posting an update on this if you find anything? I have the same problem but they couldnt find anything at the dealership. Thanks!
I definitely will...still waiting on the part however.

I'm a little dubious that it'll fix it, but we'll see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't replicate the issue per this service bulletin, but I definitely hear a clunk when going over speed bumps. My local dealer is worthless and didn't find it either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same issue. I don't know that I can replicate it by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left, but I definitely hear it when I go over speed bumps.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I have the same issue. I don't know that I can replicate it by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left, but I definitely hear it when I go over speed bumps.
The clunk from low speed bumps w/o even turning full left may be a separate issue that needs the KDY534081 spring protectors up front. Installed @ 138mm from the top tip:

2015 models have these off the factory in white:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hey @GirchyGirchy have you gotten the car fixed yet? I took my car in today and the tech guy drove my car with me in it and he was able to replicate the sound. Popping sound coming from front driver side, mostly when turning right and the clunking noise on the front passenger side, mostly when turning left and going up driveways. They ordered some stuff and I've scheduled to get it worked on next Tuesday. Hopefully whatever they do will get rid of the noise.

·
Tiny Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, still haven't heard. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they know when the part will come in.
@minsanity, thanks for the tip on the spring protectors, if this doesn't fix it I'll see if they'll pursue that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have been having the same issue just recently.

·
Mazda Fan!
67 Posts
I've noticed the same issue. More passenger side while backing down my driveway.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Got my car done today. They used TSB 02-004/15 and used parts B4YG-34-111 (bumper stopper) and KDY5-34-081 (protector shield thing) and so far the noise up front is gone. I still have the popping sound when turning on uneven roads but might be from the rear suspension, possibly the sway bars maybe need to add more grease to the brackets or something. I'll have the guy that installed my sway bar check it out tomorrow. So far now when turning left or turning into drive ways there's no longer any sound. Much quieter now except for the occasional popping sound that seems to be coming from the rear.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
The stock bumpstops tear easily & are inferior to those that come w/ the prokit. The spring protectors should be renamed clunk silencer.:D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
So yeah, the end links on my rear sway bar were loose or something so they retightened everything and now no more noise. Still getting used to not hearing the noise now since I've had the front suspension noise for over a year lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Took my car in for an oil change and software update and the dreaded clunking. They said they couldn't replicate the sound, but I had the tech drive with me and it happened twice. So they were looking up the TSB and then ordering the parts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts