2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From September regular petrol supplied in the UK will change from the E5 to E10 formulation having a 10% bio-ethanol content. How much do people expect the fuel efficiency of the high compression SkyActiv G petrol engine I have to be affected by this change in petrol formulation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My comment is pretty much useless I guess, but anyway. When I first got the car I used E10, I changed a few months later to E5 (we can choose :)) because supposedly it is 'better' for the engine. I found the engine to be somewhat rough at times, I was hoping this would solve it. Engine is running the same, no increase/decrease in fuel economy. I'm not sure if I felt any change in performance (E5 should give a bit more power?). All in all I did not win nor lose anything (aside from the slightly higher fuel price) ;-).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My comment is pretty much useless I guess, but anyway. When I first got the car I used E10, I changed a few months later to E5 (we can choose :)) because supposedly it is 'better' for the engine. I found the engine to be somewhat rough at times, I was hoping this would solve it. Engine is running the same, no increase/decrease in fuel economy. I'm not sure if I felt any change in performance (E5 should give a bit more power?). All in all I did not win nor lose anything (aside from the slightly higher fuel price) ;-).
Did you mean the engine was rougher using E5 or E10?

Reactions: perseus

·
Registered
20 Posts
So no noticeable difference between E5 and E10, still 'rough' running at times and a bit jolty/jerky (during acceleration for example), so using E5 did not fix the 'issue' I'm having :).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So no noticeable difference between E5 and E10, still 'rough' running at times and a bit jolty/jerky (during acceleration for example), so using E5 did not fix the 'issue' I'm having :).
I have no rough running on my 2.0 SkyActiv G other than the initial 1 minute warm up period.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's one of my few criticisms of the 3, it's a bit jerky at times. I've been meaning to see if ethanol free from Shell or the like helps with that. Anyone do any tests?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not able to here since it's all E10 but I'm going to throw a guess out there at it being due to the emissions systems. Emissions is why we have Rev hang with the manual and that can definitely contribute.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My e skyactiv x is definitely worse on fuel since E10 came out, on an identical run of 90 miles on the motorway which with E5 gave me a best figure of 61.4 mpg with E10 that dropped to 58.6 not a great difference but still nearly 5% which I suppose you would expect, is E10 the same 95RON? with a compression ratio of 15 to 1 I would expect it to be more affected than normal petrol engines, it definitely seems to pink a bit now under load.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts