2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

681 - 687 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question, I am not a very frequent poster on this forum however I do reference it a lot as I found this to be a very good resource for all things Mazda3.

After combing through this specific thread, I noticed a lot of bad things relating to DynoTronics....I just want to know, is there any viable, trust-worthy option for someone with a 2010 - 2013 (I have 2012) Mazda3 2.5 to get a tune from?

I have the 2.5s 6 speed sedan, and I was close to pulling the trigger with dynotronics recently, even getting back a rather nice and well written email about 9 months ago, and now that I am financially ready to get a tune, I come back on here and find all this turmoil.

What is the deal currently? I'd like to get a boost in HP from a well-trusted tune source, however I am not finding any specific tuner or member or anyone that I can reach out to. Anyone have any ideas?

I currently have a CorkSport SRI and Solid Rear Engine Mount, Shifter Bushings and I have nice sticky Dunlop summer tires. I'd like to get a noticeable (but not crazy) bump in HP, as the 2.5's 170-ish output in HP and Torque is a little lacking for my taste. Are there any tune solutions currently? I am looking to spend anywhere from 300 - 500 on it, want to stick closer to the 300 mark. DT let me know it was a 185 refundable deposit for the wires etc, then about 250 or so for the tunes etc plus a small shipping charge. I found this to be appealing, although now I am hesitant to do anything with them/him. I accidentally sent him an email today before finding out all the horror stories so I feel bad, but I hope I don't hear back as I would not like to fall into the trap that everyone else seems to have fallen into.

Thanks for any responses, and sorry if its like a total newb question, but I am at work and this is the only time I have to browse the web, but not enough time to go through hundreds of threads. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here are my two cents. I worked with Dynotronics for maybe 7-8 months. I spent the last 3 or 4 of those just waiting to get back a tune file (that I still haven't gotten). Before that, it was regularly a good two weeks or more turnaround to get files back. I'm not an expert so I can't say whether or not the files were actually good or bad tunes, but he moves really, really slowly and is really hard to get hold of. I also have a header in my car so I had to get the rear O2 sensor disabled and it took near constant badgering over the course of several tune files to get that taken care of.

So I switched over to the guys at Orange Virus Tuning. They have a tendency to go around on the forums attacking Dynotronics, which is not very professional and I don't particularly like that about them. They also, in looking at my logs from Dynotronics, claim that my previous tunes were bad tunes causing knock in the engine which could lead to damage. He says that the timings used would have made sense if I had been running high octane fuel, but I wasn't (and I did tell Dynotronics I was using cheap fuel). I looked over the logs myself and the knock retard was certainly going off more than might be ideal, but that doesn't necessarily mean my engine is in danger. And it was going off less and less as the tunes went on. I have since given in and switched to premium fuel and the knock retard has been nearly completely inactive since. That sensor is basically what enables modern cars to run on low-octane fuel without damage. But again, I'm no expert, so I can't say that my tunes were good or bad before.

I will say, however, that OVT has been much easier to get hold of and much faster at getting tune files back to me. I don't think I have had to wait more than a week so far (about two tunes in). He also removed the O2 sensor problem on the very first file. I'm not really far enough in to the process to make any determinations about the actual tunes, but as far as customer service goes, OVT is much, much better.

Just so we're clear before you begin tuning, with premium fuel and a tune, OVT tells me I can expect about 180 HP to the wheels, which is 25-30 HP better than stock. Keep in mind that most of that is still going to be at higher RPMs. The 3 really doesn't get much power until it hits about 3500 RPMs. I have so far not felt much difference with tunes from either company. I hope that will change as the tunes progress (it probably will), but as of right now I have spent a lot of money on a full new exhaust and intake and don't seem to have a lot to show for it. Just something to keep in mind before you start throwing money at the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK cool, thanks for the reply, and sorry it took so long for me to reply...So it sounds like I should maybe go with OVT. I currently have the SRI from CS, the Solid Rear mount insert, shifter bushings, and Id like to get SOME sort of exhaust, I might not go full hog since I would like to keep emissions untouched (keep the 02 sensors in tact). What would be my next step?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely also looking to hear some other opinions on this as of recently. Dynotronics is reaaaaaaaaally close to me, but I am not impressed with what im seeing so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what I was afraid of.

Dynotronics appears to be cheaper (I could be wrong or some costs could be hidden.)

My only performance mod is a short ram air intake (I'm in northern idaho, I'm not worried about heat, and I drive through deep-ish water sometimes so I can't have anything low to the ground.

I didn't really want to dumb the money in for headers or exhaust. I was looking at a tune next (we have cheap gas, including fairly cheap non-ethanol 92 octane. So I was looking at a tune. But I'd narrowed it down to orange virus (which got back to be quickly a few months back when I had a question) and dynotronics (which never replied). I was tempted by the tablet that lets you select between a variety of tunes.

Anyone have experience with both? What did you guys experience? Will be 'little bit, but I'm going to get one or the other.

My car has a new-ish (less than 100k, refurbished, w/warranty) transmission on it....a 5 speed auto. Would any harm come from having orange virus raise the rev limiter, or is there no real point? I'd like a pic of my car, but I don't have enough posts. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive explaination! I do have a question for anyone on here who can maybe give me a second opinion: Whatever I do, whenever I try to connect to my cars ECU, I always get a pop-up telling me that mazdaedit cannot find the proper ports. I have reinstalled the EcuFlash program and checked my connections and the problem still persists. I only have one USB port on the laptop I am using and the tactrix device registers as being connected to my PC. Anyone encounter a similar problem before and have some advice on the issue? Id appreciate any advice. Thanks!

681 - 687 of 687 Posts