2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who cares to, it is possible to duplicate the disc for your NAVI system (at least for the 12/13 TomTom):

Buy a new disc. I used a plain old SanDisK, 16G, non-high-performance. Got mine at Staples, without coupon for $18, including tax. I'm sure you can do a lot better... The original Navi disc was 12G and not even close to full. I read where some cars came with 8G cards and some originally with 4G...

Anyway:
Using your TomTom account (TomTom Home), update your original disc. (This will also create a backup, if needed, on your machine.)

Again using TomTom Home, Copy your MAPS file to your computer. This is important, in case anything happens to the file and you don't have a MAPS account!

The first two steps are just to make sure that you have the latest updates and give you recourse, if something stupid happens...

Now, using your computer (Windows Explorer, etc.), copy the entire contents of the original disc to a folder somewhere.

Insert new, formatted disc in the NAVI system, turn it on and wait for it to tell you there are no maps, turn it off and wait a few seconds, then remove. I don't know if this is strictly necessary, but I did it (trying to get the system to initialize the disc, so it would be recognized by TomTom).

Again using your computer (Windows, not TomTom), copy the entire contents of the folder you created onto the new disc.

Go back to TomTom Home. TomTom should now recognize the new disc and tell you that it is up to date.

Insert new disc in car and test. Mine worked perfectly the first time.

NOTE: New disc or old, it takes several seconds for TomTom to 'see' the disc, so be patient!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh? Where should it be?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oops! Crap - thanks! Will do.

For what it's worth, though, this may also work for the '14, if it's still TomTom, with an SD card...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oops! Crap - thanks! Will do.

For what it's worth, though, this may also work for the '14, if it's still TomTom, with an SD card...
That's what some users have done. The oem sd card is really slow so they transferred everything to a higher class card. Too bad there are restrictions and securities or it'd be made downloadable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Amplified: Restrictions and securities, where? This site? I don't see any technical reason why the files couldn't be uploaded and then downloaded. At least with my system. Seems to be simply a group of folders containing the files and can be moved around like any others.

My factory card is about 12G (a strange number...), which is bigger than the ones I've heard others have. I didn't see any performance difference going to the SanDisk 16G, although it's only a class 4. The factory disc is not labelled as to class, so I have no idea what that is. Could be a 2... You could maybe see some speed increase by going to a class 10, but the thing is, once you eliminate the weak link in any system, you don't really get more returns by continuing to increase the performance of the previous speed-bump. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried a higher performance card and seen any increase in the reaction speed of their system. One thing I'd like to see a little faster is being able to plug in a destination more quickly. This would be handy because (in the US, at least) once you reach 2mph (or similar), you get locked out and fast fingers and fast reactions from the NAVI are helpful when you are briefly stopped at a light. I fact, come to think of it, there MAY be a slight speed increase with the new disc, but I may be imagining that...

Edit: Might be worth trying a class 10 card and seeing what happens, but I'm going to have to order one online, as those cards care pretty freakin' expensive, if you just walk into Staples and buy one... Anybody out there have a class 10 and can try this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a PNY Turbo Class 10 SD card for my 2013 maps, but I honestly don't notice that much of a difference. Thankfully the 16GB only ran me $10

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads-up, General Klinger! If it's not much or any, faster, surely the $10 can be put towards something more worthy, like beer - lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts