2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I kinda screwed myself over, it seems. :001_unsure:

I have a red 3 touring that I got 4-5 months ago. A few weeks after I got it, I installed a suction-cup mount for my phone (similar to this). I recently took it off to properly clean and detail the dash, and I discovered what you see below.. It looks like the soft plastic has been indented and molded into the shape of the suction mount after so long being attached.. I'm kinda pissed at my stupidity in not realizing what this kind of pressure for so long could do to soft plastic :death:

Does anyone have an idea whether, given time, the plastic will "bounce back"? If not, anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to reverse my stupidity, or to at least minimize the indentation? Thanks in advance and feel free to laugh, at least someone can get a kick out of this sad situation :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
How long has it been since you removed the suction cup? I would say give it a week or so to see if comes back, maybe leave it in the sun so it stays warm and pliable. If it doesn't come back, you might be able to "massage" out the indentation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the pictures yesterday, a little over a week after I removed the cup. Its primarily parked on a surface lot for most of the day when I am at work so it is definitely warm throughout the day. I don't know if it has improved all that much in the last week, though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The more I think about it, the dash may take as long to recover as you had the phone mount installed. As far as massaging, I might retract my massage statement, considering the dash took on the shape of your phone mount rather easily.
IF you do want to try to massage it out you might try a screen roller. Perhaps put a rag under the roller so you don't damage the dash. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are used to press the spline for screens into their grooves. Usually they have wood rollers and are fairly smooth.
DON'T be aggressive.
The dash material is easy to scratch. I have a few scratches in mine.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Most interior trim pieces are fairly cheap given what they are. I'd look at Onlinemazdaparts.com if you are really bothered by the damage. Not to be pessimistic, but I don't think that spot will ever look normal again. Someone else had this same exact issue about 3 month ago. Don't think he ever got it looking good again but I may be wrong. Best of luck, I know that must suck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like you might just be SOL dude. Maybe a mixture of time/heat/gentle massaging can bring it a little back but as others have said, you'll likely not see a huge improvement.

Time to buy a new car :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was a similar thread a while back. Unfortunately your dash is permanently deformed as the soft material has more of a plastic than elastic nature. Read up on deformation on Wikipedia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was afraid of.. Gonna try the roller for massaging it little by little. Can't make it any worse, and it's worth a try. I'll update if anything I try helps, as unlikely as that seems. Thanks for your responses, guys. And don't make my mistake!:wacko:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts