2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So made it just under 32k miles before the first problem popped up.........record for me coming from Volkswagens. :tongue:

So on the way home tonight I de-selected recirculate since one of my drunken passengers decided to pass gas in my car - hate DD duty. :argh 1: Well it sounded like a wood pecker tapping away in my dash for a good 10 seconds, was able to repeat the entire ride home.

Anyone run into this before? If so does this require dash disassembly at the dealership? I hate to have my dash torn apart and risk rattles and ill fitting parts to fix this.

Thanks! Heres to the woodpecker living in my dash. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
The sound can be a fan that's loose. A door that is stuck and as the gear tries to shut the door it pops. That would make sense opening and closing the recirculate door.
Yes I think it would need to be removed to be fixed or just stop hitting the button.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound can be a fan that's loose. A door that is stuck and as the gear tries to shut the door it pops. That would make sense opening and closing the recirculate door.
Yes I think it would need to be removed to be fixed or just stop hitting the button.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
It is coming and going. Yesterday first ride of the day I was able to get it to click/tap/chatter - second ride 8-9 hours later it was gone. Kind of have to use the button - I smoke in my car and always use fresh air so the smoke does not circulate through the system. Unfortunately the logic in the auto climate control wants to constantly use the recirc, no joke unless the outside ambient is within I think 5 degrees of the auto setpoint it will throw on the recirculate.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
It is coming and going. Yesterday first ride of the day I was able to get it to click/tap/chatter - second ride 8-9 hours later it was gone. Kind of have to use the button - I smoke in my car and always use fresh air so the smoke does not circulate through the system. Unfortunately the logic in the auto climate control wants to constantly use the recirc, no joke unless the outside ambient is within I think 5 degrees of the auto setpoint it will throw on the recirculate.
Check the cabin air filter. Could be a leaf or something stuck in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Click the picture to see video of the woodpecker. :) Excuse the ashtray dashboard.

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
omggggg, that sound cannot be normal. Thats not like a house radiator cracking, but like a stuck fan loud. id love to hear what becomes of it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
omggggg, that sound cannot be normal. Thats not like a house radiator cracking, but like a stuck fan loud. id love to hear what becomes of it.
Lil red will be in for an oil change before the warranty is up.....it will definitely be addressed when that comes around. In the mean time I will have a clicking Mazda......no big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 just recently started doing this same thing. I thought it was a fan but it is only when I first start the car. I don't really notice if its while I push any buttons. It doesnt happen when I turn the fan off or on. Hoping it is just a fan issue and not some sort of malfunction with the airbags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts