2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dual Lighted Cup Holders

To expand on someone else’s excellent idea’s…(drewzilla1981 and a few others for sure)
I set about to do the cup holder mod and what I found was that from the passengers point of view the leds are a bit glaring to the eye and being a bit older than probably most of you, I am looking for a more subtle effect on this project.

I decided to go with only one led of each color, Red and Blue, and placed them in the center under the point that creates the cup divider to help minimize glaring. I also had a small plastic “mirror”, 1.5 in sq, that came from one of my wife’s cosmetic thingy’s that I cut out to a triangle and glued it to the matching point on the flip door so when in the lower position it is above the leds, helps just a little to make up for single led’s.

I wanted to be able to switch between red/blue and no light. Where I mounted the switch would have been sufficed right there but I also wanted to have the cup holder cover opening and closing to turn the lighting on or off. So I came up with a dual switch system with a 3 position toggle switch which becomes the “mode” switch Red/Off/Blue and a magnetic reed switch for the cover.

The leds pos leads were soldered together to one side of a 1K Ohm ¼ w resistor, and the other side of the resistor a length of wire, this is your positive lead for the project.
The neg leads were then soldered to each end pin of the switch. The middle pin wires up to one side of the reed switch and the other side of the reed switch becomes the ground lead for the project.

I put the reed switch’s activating magnet on the corner of the cover and mounted the reed switch where the magnet meets the wall when the cover is in the open position. As soon as you close the door it moves the magnet away from the switch and it opens the circuit.

If you pull out the rubber cup holder bottom and look at the bottom, the little center divider is hollow. I made a hole right under this and mounted the toggle switch from the bottom of the cup holder. You toggle the switch using the rubber divider just like a switch jacket. Center is off, up blue, down is red.

Here are some pics taken along the way…

Magnetic Reed Switch w/o wires and magnet
100_5874.JPG

Reed Switch with wires attached and shrink tubed, mounted to cup holder
100_5877.JPG

Mounted magnet on cup holder flip lid.
100_5880.JPG

Magnet meets reed switch
100_5883.JPG

A hot glue mess! Leads running to the left go to the reed switch the leads going to the right in the “loom” are the pos/neg leads
100_5878.JPG

All Soldered up and ready for install
100_5881.JPG

Cup bottom w/ toggle switch ready to go
100_5885.JPG
100_5889.JPG

Rubber Base
100_5890.JPG

Bottom showing void where toggle lever goes
100_5891.JPG

Toggle Switch used
100_5893.JPG

Outcome
100_5901.JPG
100_5902.JPG

You can also put a hole, or remove the rubber stub, in the rubber base and use a lighted toggle switch like this one, or remove the rubber base altogher and use any type of lighted switch you can think of! Found these at Radio Shack
pRS1C-4727481t98.jpg
pRS1C-4741011t98.jpg

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
that looks awesome i really like the ideas with the switches.

Reactions: coldcrystal

·
Registered
987 Posts
wow. that's super smooth!

·
Registered
987 Posts
no prob...i got the idea from a guy that's on the toronto 3 forum that goes under BeEvil. it's one of the few mods that my wife likes.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Ingenious stealth switch idea. That's why this forum rocks ! :rockon:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice! I really like the LED location looks factory. Extra thanks for the switch location, when i need to mount a switch this spot will be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Comps guy's!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts