2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2018 3 and I'm a bit confused about how the DSC off button works.

On my old RX-8, hitting DSC off would turn off TCS but leave DSC on, while holding the DSC off button down for eight seconds would disable both TCS and DSC.

How does this work on the 3? From reading the manual it sounds like just hitting DSC off turns off both TCS and DSC, is that right?

Also, the manual says something about performing a "malfunction detection function" if the DSC off button is held for ten seconds, what in the world does that mean?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I belive it turns off tc and inhibits the dsc a little. I have seen dsc still kick in from time to time with it off.
I don't think you can turn it off completely without unplugging power to the abs.

If you hold down the tc button for more than 10 seconds, a signal plausibility dtc is thrown and the system goes I to failsafe with dsc on and starts ignoring the button.

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I belive it turns off tc and inhibits the dsc a little. I have seen dsc still kick in from time to time with it off.
I don't think you can turn it off completely without unplugging power to the abs.

If you hold down the tc button for more than 10 seconds, a signal plausibility dtc is thrown and the system goes I to failsafe with dsc on and starts ignoring the button.
Ah, I see. I'm a bit disappointed that it can't be turned off completely, but thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ah, I see. I'm a bit disappointed that it can't be turned off completely, but thanks for the clarification.
Yeah if you really want to disable those, you can unplug your power steering communication connector. That will keep ABS, EBD, Brake assist, and Hill start assist enabled but will disable DSC, TCS, TPMS, and SCBS. Also steering will be heavier.

For a non-performance car, you're quite limited with what you can do with DSC.

The power steering system has 2 connectors. One is a 2 pin with battery and ground on it. The other is a 4 pin. It has ign1, Can H, and Can L. If you really wanted to disable tcs/DSC but keep power steering, youd need to just disconnect the two Can Lines and leave the ignition signal there.

FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if you really want to disable those, you can unplug your power steering communication connector. That will keep ABS, EBD, Brake assist, and Hill start assist enabled but will disable DSC, TCS, TPMS, and SCBS. Also steering will be heavier.

For a non-performance car, you're quite limited with what you can do with DSC.

The power steering system has 2 connectors. One is a 2 pin with battery and ground on it. The other is a 4 pin. It has ign1, Can H, and Can L. If you really wanted to disable tcs/DSC but keep power steering, youd need to just disconnect the two Can Lines and leave the ignition signal there.

FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
I hear ya, but no way am I going to disable safety features for this. I was thinking about it in terms of autocross, nothing more. I was used to being able to turn it all off in a sports car, I just need to get used to not having that kind of car I guess. It's not worth it to me to mess with those things, but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hear ya, but no way am I going to disable safety features for this. I was thinking about it in terms of autocross, nothing more. I was used to being able to turn it all off in a sports car, I just need to get used to not having that kind of car I guess. It's not worth it to me to mess with those things, but thanks for the info.
Well if it helps, I have never had DSC obviously kick in during autocross if I turn the system "off". I have only seen it kick in on windy mountain roads sometimes.

·
Dances With Corners
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if it helps, I have never had DSC obviously kick in during autocross if I turn the system "off". I have only seen it kick in on windy mountain roads sometimes.
Cool, thanks, sounds like it stays out of the way just fine then when "off."

·
Registered
286 Posts
My previous car had very aggressive traction control and the only time I'd turn the TCS/VSC off is climbing the hill out of the neighborhood in snow. I had to turn it off otherwise it would just constantly apply the brakes trying to keep the wheels from spinning until the car ground to a halt on a 10% incline, unable to start again. Once on the flatlands at the top I'd turn it back on and go about my business.

·
Working Class Hero
3,651 Posts
My previous car had very aggressive traction control and the only time I'd turn the TCS/VSC off is climbing the hill out of the neighborhood in snow. I had to turn it off otherwise it would just constantly apply the brakes trying to keep the wheels from spinning until the car ground to a halt on a 10% incline, unable to start again. Once on the flatlands at the top I'd turn it back on and go about my business.

Reminds me of the TCS in my old Mazda6. It was so intrusive that it would almost stall the car if the pavement was slippery. Justin over on 6Crew actually made a $25 module that reversed the default TCS mode to OFF so we wouldn't wear out our switches lol. My 2016 3 has no such issues. I'm actually quite pleased with how much the stability control stays out of the discussion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Reminds me of the TCS in my old Mazda6. It was so intrusive that it would almost stall the car if the pavement was slippery. Justin over on 6Crew actually made a $25 module that reversed the default TCS mode to OFF so we wouldn't wear out our switches lol. My 2016 3 has no such issues. I'm actually quite pleased with how much the stability control stays out of the discussion.
TCS is quite pleasant on the 3. DSC, not so much. I used to live up in the mountains and it would just drag brakes around the corners. Kind of annoying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts