2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I normally have all my aftermarket installed on my car by my dealership, they are cool to do it cash, under the table, and yet they will do their best to help me if I have warranty problems. (lets hope i never have any problems) and they installed my 1.75" RM lowering springs. I also asked for an alignment to be included at a price of only $160. That was couple months ago,I then got new tires to drop the height soem more, low profile racing ones. yesterday I took my car to NTB for a free alignment check. They showed my the paperwork. Its in all green standings. I never instaleld anything to adjust any alignment. Everyone says that with a drop more than 1.5" i would need camber. But as you see in my situation everything looks good. Anyone has inputs to why? Im glad I dont have to spend the extra $$$, i just wanted to make sure that im going to be ok for a bit with my suspension. Thanks for reading! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ok, I normally have all my aftermarket installed on my car by my dealership, they are cool to do it cash, under the table, and yet they will do their best to help me if I have warranty problems. (lets hope i never have any problems) and they installed my 1.75" RM lowering springs. I also asked for an alignment to be included at a price of only $160. That was couple months ago,I then got new tires to drop the height soem more, low profile racing ones. yesterday I took my car to NTB for a free alignment check. They showed my the paperwork. Its in all green standings. I never instaleld anything to adjust any alignment. Everyone says that with a drop more than 1.5" i would need camber. But as you see in my situation everything looks good. Anyone has inputs to why? Im glad I dont have to spend the extra $$$, i just wanted to make sure that im going to be ok for a bit with my suspension. Thanks for reading! :tongue:
You dont need it. They just want you to buy it and pay them to put it on.
I have a 2.0frnt & 2.2rear drop. no problems.
I don't see why you don't do the work yourself? most of it is easy and you can find the how to on our forums

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, alright. thanks! Im glad that im alright. I dont have any friends that into cars and so im usually alone doing it, and it taxes away from my confidence lol. But yea, i love this forum, it has all the assistance I need for DIY.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You said your alignment numbers were in the green, but what are the actual numbers? The factory range is pretty wide, but that doesn't mean your car will be happy anywhere in that range. Truth is, you can be within factory spec on camber and toe at all four corners but still have a car that handles horribly or wears tires quickly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I installed my springs myself and didn't get the cambers. The only thing I noticed was the alignment was off(duh) but also after a while, the tires started to wear out faster. Now ksconekiller you maybe right. Prob I would need more adjustment on my tires since it wears out faster. Just sayin that the cambers may provide better adjustment so the tires won't wear out faster.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, didnt get the paper from NTB. I might have to go back. Im not familiar with the standard numbers. Just saw a page with bunch of green blocks all around.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you're worried about having some wear on the tires... just remember that TOE is the one that causes more damage to the tires than camber... 1.5-2.0 camber is not bad... most circuit race cars have the same camber and sometimes more.

Reactions: narthur28

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
If you're worried about having some wear on the tires... just remember that TOE is the one that causes more damage to the tires than camber... 1.5-2.0 camber is not bad... most circuit race cars have the same camber and sometimes more.
+1. Most people do not realize this. Go to any of the stance pages and look for the idiots who say "It's dumb because too much camber wear". It is actually because those reallyyyyy low guys don't get proper alignments and the toe is off. Camber wear is still there though even if they do get an alignment and rub -5 degrees or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rubbing fears

+1. Most people do not realize this. Go to any of the stance pages and look for the idiots who say "It's dumb because too much camber wear". It is actually because those reallyyyyy low guys don't get proper alignments and the toe is off. Camber wear is still there though even if they do get an alignment and rub -5 degrees or so.
First off I know some members have already told me I wont rub in the situation I am about to explain, I just want to hear that from a few more people before I make the investment...

I quoted you Crespo because if I do get the springs and drop it I am wondering how to go about getting a 'proper alignment'? Do I need to go to a performance car mechanic specifically or something? My local TiresPlus actually said I did not need an alignment after they put the rims on for me.. Hoping that was not because they were busy, late in the day on a Saturday, but the car seems fine. They do however offer a 'life of the tire alignment' meaning I would pay once and get infinity alignments... That would be good from what I have read to be able to get an alignment every 2 mos or so after lowering at no cost.

Situation: 2010 Mazda3 iSport 2.0 - Rims: 18x8 RX8 rims, I think the offset is 50mm - Tires 225/40R18 92W. I am debating whether to get the 1.25' Road Magnet springs. Really dont want to have to camber or roll though and certainly dont want to rub.. My tire research showed I likely rub with the 225/45R's so I'm surprised to hear I could drop 1.25 and not have issues..

Thanks for any input & if you have had success or failure in similar situation please post!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding "proper alignment", im curious as well. NTB's cheapest price is $75 then they have a $125 package for 1 year service. They quoted my the $125 package but only for 1 time deal. They said that my situation is different because my car is lowered so doing an alignment will cost more. Is that normal or they being buttfaces?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Buttfaces for sure. The're charging you $50 extra to drag a couple of 2x4's in front of the ramp so you don't scrape. Firestone never charged me any extra. The place I go to now has a lift that is designed for race/lowered cars so no problem at all. Car drives right up with no scraping.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
First off I know some members have already told me I wont rub in the situation I am about to explain, I just want to hear that from a few more people before I make the investment...

I quoted you Crespo because if I do get the springs and drop it I am wondering how to go about getting a 'proper alignment'? Do I need to go to a performance car mechanic specifically or something? My local TiresPlus actually said I did not need an alignment after they put the rims on for me.. Hoping that was not because they were busy, late in the day on a Saturday, but the car seems fine. They do however offer a 'life of the tire alignment' meaning I would pay once and get infinity alignments... That would be good from what I have read to be able to get an alignment every 2 mos or so after lowering at no cost.

Situation: 2010 Mazda3 iSport 2.0 - Rims: 18x8 RX8 rims, I think the offset is 50mm - Tires 225/40R18 92W. I am debating whether to get the 1.25' Road Magnet springs. Really dont want to have to camber or roll though and certainly dont want to rub.. My tire research showed I likely rub with the 225/45R's so I'm surprised to hear I could drop 1.25 and not have issues..

Thanks for any input & if you have had success or failure in similar situation please post!
With just springs and no adjustable rear camber arms installed, the alignment shop can only do so much. They can adjust toe, caster, and a slight amount of camber in the front. If you only swapped wheels, you don't need an alignment. Once you start changing ride height, the previous alignment specs start changing and that can accelerate tire wear. Also, you don't need to get an alignment every 2 months unless you drastically change your ride height in that time period. I'm gonna start getting them every 2 years or so Just to make sure everything is still set right. I almost positive you won't rub either with the RX8 wheels.

Buttfaces for sure. The're charging you $50 extra to drag a couple of 2x4's in front of the ramp so you don't scrape. Firestone never charged me any extra. The place I go to now has a lift that is designed for race/lowered cars so no problem at all. Car drives right up with no scraping.
Yeah that is a load of BS if they charge you extra for being lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts