2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine in the other week, they are pretty nice and the spot where i put them is great as you cant see them when unless they are turned on, which is good since they are a little chunky :yes:

Im holding it there with superglue for the moment, it works fine but was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions? I tried to remove the panel thats behind this little gap but it was too much effort and it looked like i needed to do a lot more unscrewing - not really necessary :tongue:

But yeah they go great, i really love them, got a switch for them in my car near the DSC :stuart:

Attachments

Reactions: Discotheque

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those look tight! Not sure I would do the super glue route though. I was wondering what lights would look like in that spot and see now it looks great. :thumbup 1: Future mod for me...hmmmm :001_unsure: ? Would that little panel come out or is it solid to the bumper? I couldnt look to closely as the bumper wasnt off when I did my horn install.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys thanks for the comments, yeah they look great and as you can see from the photo where its at night, they also light up the road pretty well. Im from australia and i got them from a guy that does mods on my car, check out this link to see how they look like. Go to the forum tab > scroll own to sponsors and click 2XS > then click on the LED Lights link > go to page 4 and you will see the photos of them. There are 2 styles, i chose the thicker ones. If you like them and want to get them or ask him some questions, not sure if non-members can do private messages - if not message me and i will ask him for you. It cost me 50 shipped.

Also, i have uploaded the picture of the switch, whilst off and when turned on. I didnt have time to wire them so that when i turn the headlights on they come off and i probably wont since its just a flip of a switch :)

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/2xsracing/7853-led-lights-4.html

(already did the steps for you lol)

Attachments

Reactions: Carmagnut

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those look tight! Not sure I would do the super glue route though. I was wondering what lights would look like in that spot and see now it looks great. :thumbup 1: Future mod for me...hmmmm :001_unsure: ? Would that little panel come out or is it solid to the bumper? I couldnt look to closely as the bumper wasnt off when I did my horn install.
Yeah im pretty sure the panel comes out but it seemed to be stuck to something or screwed to something, i couldnt find what it was and i was pulling and pushing hard already so didnt really feel like snapping pieces off my car :tongue:

Maybe 3M tape or something would do it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beat me to it! After removing the front bumper for some other tinkering, I was eyeing up that piece and though that would a sweet place to place a LED strip. At that time I decided against it as i just wanted to get my bumper back on so I could actually drive the car. I will have to look more into this now.

As for the plastic insert, yes it is removable and better yet, it is removable without removal of the bumper. As you can see from the images, there are 2 screw holes on each side (on the top). These are the screws for the bottom of the fog light. You may be able to remove both of the bottom screws and loosen up the top screws and pop this piece out. I would recommend only loosening up the top screws holding in the fog housing. These are extremely difficult to put back in. No need to take them out if you don't need to.

There are also a couple screws that mount it to the underside of the bumper. These are the small black screws that do not affix the plastic protective plate to the bumper cover. They should be easy to identify.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beat me to it! After removing the front bumper for some other tinkering, I was eyeing up that piece and though that would a sweet place to place a LED strip. At that time I decided against it as i just wanted to get my bumper back on so I could actually drive the car. I will have to look more into this now.

As for the plastic insert, yes it is removable and better yet, it is removable without removal of the bumper. As you can see from the images, there are 2 screw holes on each side (on the top). These are the screws for the bottom of the fog light. You may be able to remove both of the bottom screws and loosen up the top screws and pop this piece out. I would recommend only loosening up the top screws holding in the fog housing. These are extremely difficult to put back in. No need to take them out if you don't need to.

There are also a couple screws that mount it to the underside of the bumper. These are the small black screws that do not affix the plastic protective plate to the bumper cover. They should be easy to identify.

Tom

HA! I knew there would be a way of removing them, but i just gave up a little too early i think. The only problem is that these DRL's are pretty thin, so if i did remove that back thing. What then? it would just be a hole and i dont know what to do with the DRL's as they wont fill the whole hole. So i guess it might be better for me if i just keep them there and use it for DRL's, whereas those DRL's by Hella are pretty chunky and some might probably fit in that gap...

·
Registered
77 Posts
nice idea, they look sweet. Could you use some 3M automotive (super sticky - use on emblems) to keep them in place?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers mate. Yeah I was thinking of that I think that might be the way to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard this LED strips are illegal in some parts of united states ( TEXAS where i live -_-) any info on that o;? and im veryyyy interested in putting them in the same location as you guys thought of :D, great idea and nice job on it. Props

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aftter a while I removed these and installed actual DRL unit by Phillips.10000000x better

·
ME - UTSA
56 Posts
Aftter a while I removed these and installed actual DRL unit by Phillips.10000000x better
Thanks for the info,I have 2 questions. What kind of light output are you getting from the philips because i was disappointed by the stock fogs.What model of Philips did you use

1 - 17 of 17 Posts