2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Which stock halogen light source would you make a DRL?

• Low/half/quarter power high beams

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Switchback turn signals

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • OEM Fog lights

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Separately mounted (like the strips below the OEM fogs)

Votes: 39 39.4%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving back home to Canada after living in the US for the last 6 years for work. My 2013 Mazda 3 will need DRLs.

If you were me, would you choose to have your DRL be 1) fractional power high beams 2) switchback turn signals 3) fog lights or 4) separately mounted (like those strips below the OEM fogs).

Please assume/pretend you have all stock halogens (9005 high, H11 low/fog) for the sake of this thread, if having HID bulbs in any of these light sources changes how you'd vote.

·
1,577 Posts

First mod I did on my S2000 was get rid of the DRL. Another reason I love America. THough Montreal women are hot. Have fun in canada

When I am on 2 wheels, I have high beam as DRL.

So depends are you doing it for legality ONLY, or you actually want to be seen...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purely a choice to make it legal...but if I can choose what to use, I'm wondering if there are preferences of one over another with more minor considerations like bulb longevity, combinations of lights you want to have on or off simultaneously...etc

So depends are you doing it for legality ONLY, or you actually want to be seen...

·
1,577 Posts
Bulb longevity (if OEM) is nnot an issue.

If to make it legal, I would pick the most non descript non visible one. LIke when I turn on the parking lights -I would use those

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't realize parking lights could be considered for use as DRLs...I had not come across that yet...I guess I should have added an option 5 for "other".

Bulb longevity (if OEM) is nnot an issue.

If to make it legal, I would pick the most non descript non visible one. LIke when I turn on the parking lights -I would use those

·
Registered
123 Posts
Corksport makes DRLs for US and Canadian headlamps. I use the parking lights but replaced the OEM bulbs up front with switchbacks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fractional high beams. If you are forced to install a safety feature you might as well make it as safe as possible. DRLs in that place is what people are used to looking for and will be the safest. (in theory)

Reactions: tastic

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately those ebay ones won't work for me if there is a switch...by definition an approved Canadian DRL must turn on with the ignition and cannot be turned off independently.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Unfortunately those ebay ones won't work for me if there is a switch...by definition an approved Canadian DRL must turn on with the ignition and cannot be turned off independently.
You can wire it up to whatever you want. That's just how I did it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, sir! Just shows my inexperience with this stuff...I envy all of you guys who have a good understanding of wiring and circuitry that can figure all this out, especially with lighting mods. More reading for me today! :blush 1:

You can wire it up to whatever you want. That's just how I did it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks...I had not considered the position as being a safely factor for the DRL.

Fractional high beams. If you are forced to install a safety feature you might as well make it as safe as possible. DRLs in that place is what people are used to looking for and will be the safest. (in theory)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Personally, I don't like dim DRL. Seems to defeat the purpose if it's no brighter than light off the color of your car. But half high beams would still be bright enough.

I want DRL that are set-and-forget. That turn on while the motor is running and off when the motor is off. Not on while merely power or ACC is active - the motor should be spinning. But got me how it should be wired.

-Crissa

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: Now that we're in Canada, we're going through the import process and it looks like I will be getting half power high beams as my DRL. The RIV inspection is through Canadian Tire and if I let them install it they will only do low beams as DRL (NO THANKS!) so they suggested I go to a Mazda dealer first and then to them to inspect, in case Mazda can use a different option. Since I have switchbacks I asked Mazda about using those and they said they had to be half high or low beams only so I'm going with half high beams. Once it is all done I'll probably put some LED bulbs in the high beams, since I don't need them with the morimoto RQ. Then I'll do the relay switch to have the option of turning the fogs on with parking lights so I will be able to have just the LED DRL in the high beam spots as well as the yellow fogs on, but no low beams when the fog/rain calls for it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE AGAIN: Turns out the new RIV regulations state that any of high/low/turns can be made into DRL so I opted for my switchback turns to be my DRL...I'm happy with that. If anyone else has to go through this and the garage says they will only do lows, get them to call the RIV with your case number and they will inform the garage of the new regulations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I have to say, even though I respect everybody's opinion, I think it's plain odd when people say in these endless DRL pro/con discussions that they do not want to be seen or they do not want to attract attention...

Isn't it a good thing when other drivers can spot you early?!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This wasn't a discussion about the pros and cons of DRL. Rather, given that I have to import my US purchased car into Canada, and registration requires DRL that comes on automatically with ignition, not by switch, if given a choice, the discussion was simply about which light source one would choose to use.

So I have to say, even though I respect everybody's opinion, I think it's plain odd when people say in these endless DRL pro/con discussions that they do not want to be seen or they do not want to attract attention...

Isn't it a good thing when other drivers can spot you early?!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.