2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Driver's window switch is loosing the AUTO function

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  erick.coyotzi 
#1 ·
It happened 2 or 3 times but it's not a consistent behavior. Sometimes I press the driver switch full-down or full-up and it doesn't go AUTO.

I know how to enable it again which is keep the switch up for some seconds after the window is fully closed but eventually it looses the setting some days later. Can't find a pattern and all the other windows work fine in the meantime.

Did anyone else already experience the same or is it mine an isolated case?

#7 ·
Only times I've lost the auto function is when I disconnect car battery. After a day or 2, it began working properly once again.

#8 ·
This is not the case. The switch looses the auto function despite the car having the battery charged all time. In the end is also about low voltage arriving to the switch and making it loose the function.

It may happen today. You reprogram. Loose again 3 days later. You reprogram. Loose only 1 month later. And so on. Happens from time to time and it seems like we are not alone.

#15 ·
It's possible that in some of these cases, that the power window has been operated a few times without being closed fully, the AUTO function is disabled if the power window is operated for 10 consecutive times without being fully closed (turning the ignition OFF and then ON does not reset the counting), doing that, causes small errors in the window position sensor to accumulate and may conflict with the jam-safe function, so the AUTO function in then disabled.

This is mentioned in the owners manual, (albeit slightly less detailed) under power windows:

Link to owners manual page

So in those cases it's normal.

#17 ·
It happened 2 or 3 times but it's not a consistent behavior. Sometimes I press the driver switch full-down or full-up and it doesn't go AUTO. I know how to enable it again which is keep the switch up for some seconds after the window is fully closed but eventually it looses the setting some days later. Can't find a pattern and all the other windows work fine in the meantime. Did anyone else already experience the same or is it mine an isolated case?
Thank you, man. I lost the auto function after replacing my battery, but you teach me how to re enable it. Thank you a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.