2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, folks. Following up on an issue I identified about 2 weeks ago, just before heading off on a trip abroad. (Thanks to those who responded earlier.)

Long story short: Hit a pothole in early June and did some significant damage to left front of the car. Had to replace: left front rim/tire, fender liner, front bumper, left front lower control arm, and the engine cradle (subframe).

Got the car back on 6/17, handling is fine; however, ... there seemed to be a sort of drone and vibration which is starts over 40 mpg and is most pronounced at 45-50 mph.

Returned from our trip tonight and took the car out for a spin. My wife (who knows very little about cars) noticed the drone while sitting in the passenger's seat. It seems to be emanating from the driver's side, and the vibration is not so much in the steering column, but more through the pedals and the floor.

Planning on bringing it back to the shop tomorrow morning and hoping to take a spin with a mechanic and see if he notices it, too. However, worried that they'll just tell me it's "normal." (If my wife notices it, it's definitely not normal.)

Any thoughts about what might be causing the drone/vibration or advice on how to handle this matter? Thx in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
356 Posts
possible wheel out of balance? may need a rebalance. other possible things i can think of: damaged rim, damanged bushings from the control arm or other suspension bits.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dropped the car off at the shop today. Hope to have diagnosis in the next day or two.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
possible wheel out of balance? may need a rebalance. other possible things i can think of: damaged rim, damanged bushings from the control arm or other suspension bits.
Thx for the response. Rim is brand spanking new, so that shouldn't be it. The lower control arm was also replaced;don't know if that includes the bushings (don't think so, since I didn't see it on the invoice). Hoping it's something simple like an alignment or (as you suggest) a balance issue. :|

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hub bearings can cause drone & vibrations, nanxun. Give the damaged side a health check, just to be sure.

@minsanity Thanks for the technically specific insights! Very helpful and much appreciated.

I offered to go for a ride with a mechanic in order to identify the drone and vibration, but the shop manager said they'd do that themselves. Right now am just waiting to see what they come back with as possibilities. But it's always nice to have other suggestions for what to check, if they don't/can't figure it out on their own.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anytime, nanxun. Hope they finally sort this out for you.
For the win, @minsanity Shop just called back and identified the drone/vibration as the left-front hub bearing. Thx again for offering your knowledge and support! Much obliged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just wanted to add a +1 for this issue. I've had a noise and vibration around 50mph for a few months and finally got to my dealer today. They replaced both front hub bearings and the noise is gone! I hit some pretty significant pot holes this past winter, but none that did obvious damage like the OP.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to add a +1 for this issue. I've had a noise and vibration around 50mph for a few months and finally got to my dealer today. They replaced both front hub bearings and the noise is gone! I hit some pretty significant pot holes this past winter, but none that did obvious damage like the OP.
Sorta disturbing to hear that hitting potholes would damage both front hub bearings, but glad to hear that the problem's been fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts