2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
El Jefe!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as shown, the car is a 2011 Mazda 3S (not Speed3 (that's MS3)).

I recently (this weekend) took out my headlights and baked/painted them and added HIDs.

While testing the drivers side lights/blinkers everything worked fine. But after installation of the other side, final bumper re-install and showing off, the front drivers side blinker does not work, yet the rear blinker goes at double speed.

The turn signal lights up when in running/daytime mode and headlights on. The bulb just doesn't blink when either the turn signal is on, hazards on, or keys pressed unlock/lock.

I check all connections, wires, and fuses and have found nothing to be an issue there.

Any ideas would help, as I've already been pulled over for this and would prefer to not get a ticket!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That seems odd considering the bulb isn't burnt out, it just doesn't blink.
Not really...the base of the bulb uses 2 different connections for the ON function and BLINK function. That's how people here can do the "parking light delete" mod by just covering up the ON connections with tape. A problem on the BLINK side of the 7443/7444NA bulb connection would cause what you are seeing. Swap your left and right bulbs. If the problem appears on the passenger side and not on the drivers, get a new bulb. If not, then you know it has to do with with the wiring on the drivers side and not the bulb.

·
El Jefe!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will be my next test. I didn't have much time last night as it was late so I only did a few quick checks. Hopefully the bulb is just bad, I planned on getting LED bulbs anyway, this is just more reason to do so.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are two filaments in these bulbs. If you looked at the bulb carefully, the top filament is the night light while the bottom filament is for blinking. I snapped off the outer connectors in the base so it does not light at night, but still blinks.

·
El Jefe!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are two filaments in these bulbs. If you looked at the bulb carefully, the top filament is the night light while the bottom filament is for blinking. I snapped off the outer connectors in the base so it does not light at night, but still blinks.
This is something I will be doing when my LED replacements show up in the coming week. I checked with swapping bulbs on my lunch break and found that the connection for the blinker of the bulb had snapped off. printed my invoice so hopefully the cops let me go without any issue again!

I honestly never knew that the turn signals were like two bulbs in one. You do learn something new every day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts