2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all

Same problem here, that's how I found you guys.
First I thought the ratlle also to be from the b-pillar. But removing the interior cladding proved to be a bit difficult. I was afraid for applying too much force and breaking something.
After a couple of weeks with the weather going colder and dryer, I was driving around with the rattle as usual and started pressing gainst the window. All of a sudden, the rattle was gone.
Now I have been researching this site, and found arek_4k's post. I investigated and it seems like a good possibility for me. Today I went and taped the area with some painters tape to see if the noise would stop. When standing outside and pressing on top corner of the door, the noise didn't stop, but while driving the car, I couldn't hear anything.
But I must confess, while investigating the area I was pushing the rubber seal quite a lot (the one in the picture above within the red circle) making the seal less 'stiff' and warmer than usual.
So when I removed the tape, there was also no noise to be heard while driving.
I then went and washed the car, and the noise you hear when pusing on the door standing on the outside was also not there.
So I now have some painters tape in my glove box and a kitchen sponge which I could insert into that cavity of the seal. But my best guess to definitly locate where the noise is coming from, is to ride around as usual and upon hearing the noise, make the rubber on the top corner wet and warm and see if the rattle is still there. I assume that the cold and the resulting stiffness of the rubber is causing this problem. Not sure if unserting a sponge is going to solve it, but I first want to make sure this is the cause.
The material from which this part is made is different than the other seal araundthe window and door. Even when it is cold, the other seals are still very flexible and soft.
I'll let you know when I find something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I sprayed some silicon lube into the door seal around that top area you are describing where the window meets the seal and the noise has been gone since. It seems like the cold dry weather hardens the EPDM extruded piece causing the noise, a bit of lube solves the issue.

·
Registered
Mazda3 Skyactiv-X 2019
2 Posts
Hello

Happy to read @AndrewMcBride1996 that you have found a solution. Hope it lasts. I have a can with silicon spray as well. Going to keep that handy the coming year.
Haven't been driving around that much due to semi-lockdown and working from home.
Past Saturday I drove a decent amount (240 km round trip) and never had a rattle, and believe me, I've been listening.

It somehow felt like a car with a different build quality for me just by the removal of that one rattle... How these things play with your head.

I'm now going to look for a solution on this forum to see whey my handsfree remote is hit and miss with opening the doors...:rolleyes::)

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is what the 2021 looks like:

View attachment 279989

View attachment 279990

A few of possible clues:

1) That arrow should be lined up with that part of the door frame.

2) It looks like the space between the corner piece and frame of the door is intentional.

3) There appears to be a twist in that corner piece where in meets the curved weather stripping in @Gazfay's picture above that's no longer present on the 2021s. Might be a clue as to what the engineers were trying to change/fix.

4) Can you see the part in the frame where there used to be a hole for a clip? Possibly another clue.
Perseus just to confirm second pic is looking from below, right?

At first I can't see the difference but I'll compare with mine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last week we started to get real cold here (minus 10). Since then I could hear the door squeeking, exactly as described on this forum. Also the sound disappearing after pressing to the window.

I solved it by the suggestions made here, just a tube of lube :) Thanks! I lubbed only the piece of rubber in the corner of the door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last week we started to get real cold here (minus 10). Since then I could hear the door squeeking, exactly as described on this forum. Also the sound disappearing after pressing to the window.

I solved it by the suggestions made here, just a tube of lube :) Thanks! I lubbed only the piece of rubber in the corner of the door.
So where exactly do you spray the silicone? My 2020 has an annoying rattle also.. I even posted a video here :

Did your issue go away for good?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts