2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 M3 Touring 5-door.

So yesterday I had the great fortune to run over an almost intact thrown tread from an 18-wheeler while in fairly heavy beltway traffic at speed. The tread had pulled itself back into a ring and was lying on its side and it appears that I got most of it with the driver's side of the car. (I was moving over to the lane left of me to get around one of those boxy, solid back truck\vans that is almost as wide as the lane is so I could have a better view down the road and there was the tread right in front of me - no chance to take evasive action. :frown2:)

As best I can tell from crawling around on the ground and looking underneath and without putting the car up on a lift the only damage appears to be that the plastic shroud that forms the inside of the driver's side front wheel well and whatever was attached to it is completely gone. I don't know what else might have been back there that might also be gone. I noticed a little rectangular teal-colored hard plastic tube poking up from where the firewall joins the floorboard just inside the wheel well. It looks like it might have had something attached to it and might be a drain?

Anyhow, is there a manual online that I can look at to see what all should be there before I take the car to a body shop for an estimate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Check out the DIY subforum, there's a link to download the factory repair manual.its for a 2014, but should be close enough for your purposes.

I did similar antics in my old car, but I really didn't care about that. Railed a racoon going 130km/h at about 2am...cracked the lower part of the front bumper pretty good.

Then I was lazy and didn't clear the snow at the end of my driveway one year. It turned into a hump of ice. Car bottoms out on it and destroyed the plastic tray underneath the engine. There was pieces of black plastic everywhere for weeks lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2016 M3 Touring 5-door.

So yesterday I had the great fortune to run over an almost intact thrown tread from an 18-wheeler while in fairly heavy beltway traffic at speed. The tread had pulled itself back into a ring and was lying on its side and it appears that I got most of it with the driver's side of the car. (I was moving over to the lane left of me to get around one of those boxy, solid back truck\vans that is almost as wide as the lane is so I could have a better view down the road and there was the tread right in front of me - no chance to take evasive action. :frown2:)

As best I can tell from crawling around on the ground and looking underneath and without putting the car up on a lift the only damage appears to be that the plastic shroud that forms the inside of the driver's side front wheel well and whatever was attached to it is completely gone. I don't know what else might have been back there that might also be gone. I noticed a little rectangular teal-colored hard plastic tube poking up from where the firewall joins the floorboard just inside the wheel well. It looks like it might have had something attached to it and might be a drain?

Anyhow, is there a manual online that I can look at to see what all should be there before I take the car to a body shop for an estimate?

Thanks!
I'd say if you don't have an ABS light on already you're probably in good shape. The only sensitive component i can think of would be the ABS wheel speed sensor.

+1 on the repair manual posted above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the DIY subforum, there's a link to download the factory repair manual.its for a 2014, but should be close enough for your purposes.

I did similar antics in my old car, but I really didn't care about that. Railed a racoon going 130km/h at about 2am...cracked the lower part of the front bumper pretty good.

Then I was lazy and didn't clear the snow at the end of my driveway one year. It turned into a hump of ice. Car bottoms out on it and destroyed the plastic tray underneath the engine. There was pieces of black plastic everywhere for weeks lol.

@zero_gravity - Right, of course. I forgot about the link to the factory repair manual in the DIY subforum, even though I downloaded it from there right after I bought my 2016 M3. :grin2: I haven't needed to use it before now. Thanks for the reminder! And if you had to hit something with your car better a racoon than a skunk . . .
@mazdi - No ABS warning light so far so that looks good. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
@zero_gravity - Right, of course. I forgot about the link to the factory repair manual in the DIY subforum, even though I downloaded it from there right after I bought my 2016 M3. :grin2: I haven't needed to use it before now. Thanks for the reminder! And if you had to hit something with your car better a racoon than a skunk . . .

@mazdi - No ABS warning light so far so that looks good. Thanks!
I suppose so, but the skunk would have done far less damage. That thing was huge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2016 M3 Touring 5-door.

So it looks like Mazda calls what got destroyed when I drove over the 18-wheeler tread that was lying in the road a splash shield\mudguard, and most online parts stores call it a fender liner.

This is the little rectangular teal-colored hard plastic tube poking up from where the firewall joins the floorboard just inside the wheel well that I mentioned above. Can anyone tell me what it is?

This is the driver side front wheel well, at the rear, just in front of the driver's left foot.

Is something supposed to be attached to it that was torn away when I ran over the debris?

Or is it maybe a vent for dip holes or something?

I don't see anything in the service manual that identifies it.

I'm surprised at all the road debris that is caught back in there. That can't be good. And what is that stuff that looks like a bowling pin on the back panel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might want to pay close attention to steering wheel alignment (centered when going straight) as a sign of alignment challenges. The last time I ran over a retread, it knocked the toe out so badly that I wore a front tire down to the belts in about 90 miles of Interstate driving.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I'm taking a guess here, but that might be the drain line for the A/C.

I wouldn't worry about any minor dents as they are just cosmetic in an area you won't see anyhow. I would paint anywhere the original paint is broken, however. This is for rust prevention. You can use something like rustoleum, I used it on my control arms when the paint started peeling a bit. Worked well.

For paint, clean with grease and wax remover, allow to dry. If any metal is showing, put some anti rust gel on it for a few minutes. That should kill any rust starting to form on the microscopic level. Clean with grease and wax remover again and let dry. Clean with tack cloth and then finally paint it up. Do a couple coats. Bare metal may need primer depending on what you use.

As for the wheel well plastic that got ruined...don't expect to get aftermarket. If you can, you probably don't want it. Junkyard is your best option. You can try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, search engine for scrapyards. Doesn't have everything as the yards have to enter their stuff, but its a great place to start.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts