2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a rattle like something's loose when you hit some bumps coming from the B pillar on the driverside? I thought it was the seatbelt assembly but I had someone hold onto it and it seemed to be coming from somewhere else in the pillar close to the top.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yup it became very noticeable when it got cold.
My cars with the dealer right now and I'll be hearing back later today with what their solutions were for the rattles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I guess I'm not crazy then. I have the same rattle although it hasn't been obnoxious enough for me to complain to the dealer.

If you all end up with a solution I'd appreciate it so I can give the dealer a heads up next time I'm there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So according to the dealer there isn't any rattle that they could make out and in all honesty i couldn't hear anything in normal drives either. They suggested I let them look at it again when it gets cold so they can add foam/dampening to the affected areas.

As for wind noise they noted it as "comparable to other mazda 3s" so I'll just continue to drown out any wind noise with music haha

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about the side airbag? Do you need to worry about that?
If you're referring to the side air bags in the a-pillar, they're not a huge issue. There is some room around them to place sound damping material if you have noise from there but I haven't noticed any.

I haven't checked the b-pillar, but I'm inclined to believe the previous post that they're in the seats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've also noticed the rattle from the B pillar area on the drivers side during low temperatures. I took my car to the dealer and they fixed it, even though the rattle wasn't present when I arrived. It turned out that the noise came from the door, not the pillar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd love to see that list of TSBs, I've got quite a few rattles myself.

I thought mine was coming from the B-pillar but I'm hearing a rattle from the door card. I hate bringing my car in to the dealer so I'll try to fix them myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd love to see that list of TSBs, I've got quite a few rattles myself.

I thought mine was coming from the B-pillar but I'm hearing a rattle from the door card. I hate bringing my car in to the dealer so I'll try to fix them myself.
Rattles are easier to diagnose when it's cold because plastic gardens and shrinks a bit.

I'd recommend going when it's below -5° that way they can apply foam to affected areas. I only notice them over large bumps and usually drown them out with music haha. They're nowhere as bad as my old 6 that was half ford tho?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 GT Grey/red 2wd AT, has the rattle also. Sometimes , adjusting the shoulder belt adjuster cancels it , but it comes right back. My wife's Soul Red 2109 GT awd , AT, is as quiet as an empty church, no rattles or squeaks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i had the seatbelt pillar sound dampened by dealer. so far it's good.

BUT i have other rattles coming from the airbag dash area, even though i'd been to the dealer multiple times for it. they tightened the brackets, but i just can't escape rattles in that zone.
one is a buzzing sound
another is a bouncing plastic tapping sound

even though they seem willing to help, i drive away with a fix that lasts only 1 week.
i think it's time to give up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the rattling from either the B pillar or the door. Anyone have a TSB or know where it’s coming from?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fixed mine so far by sticking some foam double sticky tape between the inner metal door and rubber moulding. I saw the car already has a thin piece of black foam there so I just doubled up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts