2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I ordered new set of rims for the car, but in order to fit them in, one hole (out of 5) should be drilled (moved a bit). Obviously, the shop is going to do that with the machine etc. They say it safe and will not affect the safety.:|
The rims are original for BMW M6.
My buddy is the owner of that shop for 15 years and he dealt with that already a lot.
However, i'm still concerned about the integrity of the wheels after, isn't that going to affect the safety? Or create vibrations?
I would appreciate any opinion, thank you!:laugh2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the shop is willing to go for it, they must have confidence, because the risk of ruining a set of wheels and the liability are both significant.

It's obviously not ideal, but those wheels appear to be quite low offset already, and the only other option is to get adapters, which are usually incorporated into 20-30mm spacers.

Make sure you get appropriate hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the shop is willing to go for it, they must have confidence, because the risk of ruining a set of wheels and the liability are both significant.

It's obviously not ideal, but those wheels appear to be quite low offset already, and the only other option is to get adapters, which are usually incorporated into 20-30mm spacers.

Make sure you get appropriate hubcentric rings.
Well, I look for a long run, I mean I concerned about how is it going to affect the driving. Like, I heard from some people that it may create a vibration when you go on a high speed (e.g. highway) and in the long term it may affect the bearings but at the same time the owner told me that it will not create any problem.
Adapters in spacers is an option though, i haven't thought about that, I'll search about that.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
The good thing is that the hub is large enough for you to include a hub-centric ring. (74.1 to 67.1)

The bad thing is that any time you adjust a pattern on a wheel, it really should be filled and re-drilled... not just enlarging one of the lug mounts to accommodate a different lug pattern. (5x120 to 5x114.3)

Personally, I would acquire wheels that were properly built for the correct lug pattern, offset and hub bore.

If the pattern was closer, you could have tried 'wobble bolts' which allow a little more freedom.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It doesn't sound right that only 1 hole out of the 5 need to be drilled.

As mentioned, BMW is 5x120. So, all five holes need to be re-drilled inorder for the wheel to be centered.

I would pass on that set of rims.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is definitely not a normal practice. I would make sure if the shop says "it will be fine" that they give you some sort of warranty or guarantee. I would not trust drilling one hole out in order to make a totally different pattern fit.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It doesn't sound right that only 1 hole out of the 5 need to be drilled.

As mentioned, BMW is 5x120. So, all five holes need to be re-drilled inorder for the wheel to be centered.

I would pass on that set of rims.
This.
Especially that beginning part.

I don't think there is anything else to reiterate except you'd be making a massive mistake by thinking you can drill one hole in a wheel and expecting it to still travel in a circular motion.
That isn't how circles work lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha that's right, that's what i thought, if you drill all holes at least you can manage to maintain the balance in rim somehow, but one hole does not sound right at all.
I just went with the fact that I liked the rims so much and they "know" what they're doing, plus they have been in business for a long time.
Well, thank you so much everybody for your opinions, I guess I just cancel the order and will go with rims that fit the bolt pattern just right.:laugh2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, thank you so much everybody for your opinions, I guess I just cancel the order and will go with rims that fit the bolt pattern just right.:laugh2:
Let me know what you're looking for and I can find you something at a good price. send me PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts