2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering this but im not sure if dremmeling out the honey combs would be a good or bad thing. i dont see having these cool looking vent things that arent functional. but i dont know whats behind them and if id be doing more harm than good. if its a matter of debris possibly putting a black cloth filter behind it to keep particals from flying in but still allowing more air flow for a lower under hood temp?
i dont expect much improvement but its more could it hurt?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
don't do it... its there for a reason. Idk what it is.. but I don't think Mazda will place them for no reason

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you want more airflow and cooler temps in the engine bay remove the weather stripping where the rear edge of the hood meets the windshield cowl. My IAT's dropped an average of 7 degrees. No water gets in if it rains either so it's all good. Been running it this way in Florida the whole summer which is the rainy season.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
The open honeycomb has nothing other than the radiator behind it but the closed part of the honeycomb ibehind is Styrofoam which protects the grill from the crash bar from small accidents. Im going off the top of my head so you would be fine opening it up if you want. But I agree with Warlord doing the weatherstripping I tried this as well but on accident lol.

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
If you want more airflow and cooler temps in the engine bay remove the weather stripping where the rear edge of the hood meets the windshield cowl. My IAT's dropped an average of 7 degrees. No water gets in if it rains either so it's all good. Been running it this way in Florida the whole summer which is the rainy season.
The reason the weatherstripping is there is for sound performance. It eliminates whistle and wind noise.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The open honeycomb has nothing other than the radiator behind it but the closed part of the honeycomb ibehind is Styrofoam which protects the grill from the crash bar from small accidents. Im going off the top of my head so you would be fine opening it up if you want. But I agree with Warlord doing the weatherstripping I tried this as well but on accident lol.

good call on the center grill. what about the two on the sides? esp in a cold air situation wouldnt the driver side vent alteast help out to flow to a cold air filter (assuming thats where the filter sits?)

as for the removal of the rear weather stripping. something ive seen for honda (kinda ricey) is hood spacers? essentially washers on the hood hinge that raise it up in the rear i believe for the same reason as removing the weather stripping

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The reason the weatherstripping is there is for sound performance. It eliminates whistle and wind noise.
No whistle or wind noise with mine removed. Just lower IAT's.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
There was a thread about trying to get NACA ducts but nothing new on that as for the fog vents you could easily get that done. Just purchase the fog shroud without the fogs and you could run with them being open. MS3 in the ST class or I moto racing all run with open fog lights as vents.

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
On the right hand side, the windshield wiper fluid reservoir sits right in front of the vent. In this picture I covered it up with a foamy black tape, cuz otherwise, it'd just show white plastic through. On the Driver's side, there's nothing in the way; perfect setup for a CAI to be pulled right there. I'd say wind noise has gone up a bit since I've had this bumper, but it really isn't noticeable with the windows up.

Right side with the black foam tape:

Driver's side:

·
Registered
750 Posts
While you might be getting some additional cooling into the engine bay, the down side would be more aerodynamic drag. Instead of directing the airflow around the contours of the car, that air is plowing into the engine bay. It's all a trade off, and I doubt in normal conditions you'd see much difference; maybe a slight reduction in mileage.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Going to have to try this...

But to answer the OP questions I wouldn't take the dremel to it, I have seen a couple people use the fog light insert but not have the fog light installed for better air flow, and I have even seen where someone drilled a hole about a 1.5' diameter and then used some black pvc to create a air ram... I can't remember where I saw that though, looked nice a clean, I just don't know about the effects of water and debris though...

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i feel in the same sense id rather just have dremmeled out vent with the pipe and maybe a kind of shroud to goto the pipe rather than some obtrusive hole in my bumper. and as for the foglights. same thing, just a big gaping hole. i figure dremel, mesh, shroud, and intake pipe prob the best bet (for stealthyness IMO) but then everyones notions of the air turbulance and reduced areodynamics and such does make alot of sense

1 - 13 of 13 Posts