1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Price= $450 plus shipping
Worth it= YES!

Backround:
2010 Mazda 3 2.0L automatic with the sportshifter. CS SRI and CBE w/o race pipe or highflow cat.

First Drive:
After I installed the ECU I started it up and let it run for five minutes or so. I noticed the exhaust sounded a little different but I think that was from the little bit of 87 octane that was left in the tank. I pulled out to go to the gas station and I immediately felt a little bit more pull not even going over 2500 rpm. I didn't drive it too long before I put 91 octane in it. I drove around after that for a good 30 miles and I could deffinately feel a difference. In the lower rpm's, it pulls better and it feels smoother. So the "driveability" around town is improved. When I went WOT, HOLY SH!T. That was where I felt the biggest difference. I was just going to go from 0-60 but ended up hitting 80 and the speedometer climbed really fast (sorry no times yet). I was very suprised at how fast I hit 60. With the rev limiter gone, I let it get up to around 7200 rpm before I shifted into second gear and I don't remember if I put it in third before hiting 80. Going through sharp turns, I could deffinately feel more power coming out of them. It was alot of fun especially going through the turn with the rpm's high and really pulling hard out of it.

I do not understand why no one from this forum has gotten a reflash from dynotronics. This is deffinately the best mod out there for our cars short of a turbo or supercharger. Joe said the HP gains for the 2.0 are 10-16hp. I don't know about the torque but I could feel a good difference in both across the whole power band. Removing the ECU was easy. I can post a HOW TO thread if anyone wants me too but if you can take out your battery, you can remove your ECU. Joe is a very nice guy and great to work with. I Fedex priorty overnighted the ECU to him Tuesday and I had it back Friday same week.

Also, I did not do any data logging to get this reflash and I still see very impressive gains!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It's because a few previous generation 3s lost power and acted like butt after the tune. And there are never user dynos to prove any gain. Just the dyno that Dynotronics posts up, which could be doctored. And other companies that develop parts for the 3, I mean FI parts, don't speak very highly of this either.

I would like to try it, but I would also like to be able to get my money back when/if it doesn't work.

But thanks for posting up your exp with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah no problem. I didn't know that about the previous generations. I just saw all of the good reviews for the miatas and really wanted to try it. The gains were immediately noticeable. I'm still really excited about it I wanna go for another run :yes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd be really interested in a 2.5 reflash...It would enhance the already punchy nature of the MZ3 2.5 L engine just right in my opinion. I believe they would sell a ton to people on this forum if they can prove results and/or people start giving out good reviews of the product. I had one in my last car and I was OK with the gains relative to the price.

·
General
170 Posts
Does that price include a programmer to set it back to factory? What's the down time/turn around? +1 for a dyno run.

·
General
170 Posts
No it includes nothing you send your ECU to them. Turn about time is supposed to be a day or two at most.
Mmm yea I don't know about that...seems like too much down time if you don't want to run the tune "24/7". I know it's not an aggressive tune but yea...unless theres a way to upload to a universal programmer...not to familiar on the subject

Any other tuners out there that we could get them to to work on this, I know there's not many of us, but a couple dozen emails wouldn't hurt ;).

·
Registered
114 Posts
slaby are from dodge avenger forum? the picture on your avatar thats dodge avenger se engine. just wondering

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
slaby are from dodge avenger forum? the picture on your avatar thats dodge avenger se engine. just wondering
yeah that was my avenger. i loved that car but it started running really weird at only 60,000 miles so i traded it in. i made that pic my avatar again because i loved that paint job. put a lot of time and effort into that car and learned alot too.

Joe said that they save your stock tune so if you ever need it flashed back, they can, you just have to pay shipping. but my car still feels normal driving around town(when i say normal, i mean it feels like a normal car. i can still feel the power gains but its not reving fast or anything like that). not like a race or rally car or anything like that. I'll see if i can get Joe to come on here and answer everyones questions better than I can.

i went for another run early this afternoon and it felt even better than yesterday! I didnt go WOT but i was shifting a little bit higher than normal (up to 4000rpm) and in between 3000 and 4000 rmp's the performance gains really kick in. now its not a corvette or anything but it is alot more fun to drive. cant wait til i get my CS rear sway bar :yes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmm yea I don't know about that...seems like too much down time if you don't want to run the tune "24/7". I know it's not an aggressive tune but yea...unless theres a way to upload to a universal programmer...not to familiar on the subject

Any other tuners out there that we could get them to to work on this, I know there's not many of us, but a couple dozen emails wouldn't hurt ;).
i do know that hand held programmers are not going to alter as many parameters dynotronics is able to do but i do not know the full details on what was altered on my ecu. that would be a good question for joe.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I'm was very interested in this, but after reading some about the Cobb AP, I think a controller, even if it is just to be able to switch between stock and their retune, would be a more valuable item. $500 for the ability to switch it myself and not send it to them would make this alot more valuable to me.

Glad to see that you are enjoying it though! Maybe in the future I will still get this but hopefully they make a controller for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm was very interested in this, but after reading some about the Cobb AP, I think a controller, even if it is just to be able to switch between stock and their retune, would be a more valuable item. $500 for the ability to switch it myself and not send it to them would make this alot more valuable to me.

Glad to see that you are enjoying it though! Maybe in the future I will still get this but hopefully they make a controller for it.
I do understand about the conviniance of having the controller, but your not going to get as much out of your ECU with a controller than you would with actually sending in your ECU. i wish i could explain it better for you but like i said i need to get Joe in here for the more technical side of everything.

as far as the dyno goes, i am waiting a little bit until i get my Innovative 02 so i can do my own data logging after i get my headers. after that i'll probably send my ECU back to Joe to get it reflashed with the extra data to squeeze a little bit more ponys out of it.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I do understand about the conviniance of having the controller, but your not going to get as much out of your ECU with a controller than you would with actually sending in your ECU. i wish i could explain it better for you but like i said i need to get Joe in here for the more technical side of everything.

as far as the dyno goes, i am waiting a little bit until i get my Innovative 02 so i can do my own data logging after i get my headers. after that i'll probably send my ECU back to Joe to get it reflashed with the extra data to squeeze a little bit more ponys out of it.
I realize the sending process but I mean having the controller AFTER you send in your ECU with some data logging and getting it back with the flash. So they have your stock tune and their tune on the controller and it would allow me to switch

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize the sending process but I mean having the controller AFTER you send in your ECU with some data logging and getting it back with the flash. So they have your stock tune and their tune on the controller and it would allow me to switch
ok i understand what your saying. that would be pretty cool.

i have put 100 miles on the car since the tune and the feel of the car keeps getting a little better every time i go for a drive. i dont know if the ecu is adjusting to the intake and exhaust or what but it keeps feeling more responsive. like when i pull out and dont even go to 2500 rpm's before it shifts it feels so good and responsive.

·
General
170 Posts
My buddy sent in his ECU for his stang for about $300 and he got a programmer/controller/flasher with three tunes to match his mods, a stock/factory tune, a performance tune, and a straight race tune. The programmer/controller/flasher was a SFT SF3, that allowed you to switch back to factory so if you needed repairs you could take it to your dealer and they wouldn't know. Also, if your tune ever went out of wack you could set it back and not be stranded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy sent in his ECU for his stang for about $300 and he got a programmer/controller/flasher with three tunes to match his mods, a stock/factory tune, a performance tune, and a straight race tune. The programmer/controller/flasher was a SFT SF3, that allowed you to switch back to factory so if you needed repairs you could take it to your dealer and they wouldn't know. Also, if your tune ever went out of wack you could set it back and not be stranded.
yeah all that stuff is awesome but you have to remember for the mazda3 2.0 there is not alot of options when it comes to this stuff. i dont know if there is another company that reflashes the mazda 3 2.0 even the 1st gen.

·
General
170 Posts
yeah all that stuff is awesome but you have to remember for the mazda3 2.0 there is not alot of options when it comes to this stuff. i dont know if there is another company that reflashes the mazda 3 2.0 even the 1st gen.
I'm applying this for the 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5...we should try to get a tuning company to work with us on this...if anyone got any ideas please voice...and if we can get a rep from DP to come on that would be great.

P.S. No you should've got a speed3 comments, lol.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts