2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im fairly new to this forum and i was looking for an answer to this question but couldnt seem to find it.

Can somene please list for the the Pro's and Con's (if any) in having bigger rims and what effect it may have on my car over the long term

Thanks!

Bearz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello! Im fairly new to this forum and i was looking for an answer to this question but couldnt seem to find it.

Can somene please list for the the Pro's and Con's (if any) in having bigger rims and what effect it may have on my car over the long term

Thanks!

Bearz
The main reason most people go bigger and wider is simply due to the looks, unless you plan on tracking the car, if so, depending on the quality of tire you put on the wheels you'll get better cornering grip and braking due to the wider contact patch.

Downsides include, bigger wheel= higher rotational mass= more weight = car feels more sluggish on acceleration. Depending on how large you go fitment and tire size may be an issue and you may have to run an uncommon tire size (rare, but it happens). Now the first point can be solved by lightweight wheels, however those can get pricey.

There really aren't any long term effects aside from possibly wearing out certain assemblies (hubs, studs, brakes, rotors) sooner due to the increased rotational mass. It's most likely minute and negligible however its possible. Some may correct me on some of this, if I'm wrong I welcome it

·
Registered
35 Posts
The main reason most people go bigger and wider is simply due to the looks, unless you plan on tracking the car, if so, depending on the quality of tire you put on the wheels you'll get better cornering grip and braking due to the wider contact patch.

Downsides include, bigger wheel= higher rotational mass= more weight = car feels more sluggish on acceleration. Depending on how large you go fitment and tire size may be an issue and you may have to run an uncommon tire size (rare, but it happens). Now the first point can be solved by lightweight wheels, however those can get pricey.

There really aren't any long term effects aside from possibly wearing out certain assemblies (hubs, studs, brakes, rotors) sooner due to the increased rotational mass. It's most likely minute and negligible however its possible. Some may correct me on some of this, if I'm wrong I welcome it
True, but just thought I'd throw this in. Some of the lighter aftermarket (and even OEM) wheels, even in bigger sizes (17-18's) are actually much lighter, or at least the same weight, as the OEM 16's (at least, lighter than the OEM 16" steelies). Even my 18's (OEM Hyundai wheels) ended up being only ~1 lb heavier than my stock 16" steelies, despite being an inch wider, and having a larger diameter. In the end, for most, it's for the looks. :rockon 1:

·
Wannabe race car driver
21 Posts
I ended up going from the stock 16"s to the 18"s off a Speed3 and the only downsides I have are that the car looks slightly higher (probably not however), tires are expensive and your brake rotors look tiny. Tires are expensive but that's a given. Other than that, I believe the benefits far outweigh the consequences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts