2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, to my defence, before i get in trouble for asking this question, it has been answered 25 times on this site, and honestly not one answer is the same and i do not want to risk bricking my system

i recently upgraded from v31 to v59.00.441NA, it was a mistake as my bluetooth no longer works (it sends calls back to my phone... i tried everything and still no go, i am also having problems with AIO tweaks.)

so i would like to downgrade to 55.00.760A

some say not to downgrade from v59

some say to install reinstall file first

other say start with failsafe

-----
what is the proper procedure? FYI(i have aio tweaks installed, i tried running the uninstall script, and it did not remove anything, something is really buggy with my v59/441)

·
Registered
53 Posts
AFAIK if your car came with a version lower than v59 it's safe to downgrade to versions 55/56 (I did it from v59 to v56).

But, If you upgraded to version 59.0.502 there's no way to downgrade at this moment.

PS. Just be sure that your system is free of any hack/mods before downgrading/upgrading

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can downgrade as low as 33.00.500 only if you use a NOR programmer (CH341A or something like that) to force it into failsafe mode. The 59.00.502A failsafe will install the first (alphabetical order) reinstall.up file that you have in the root of the USB stick even if it's not a version match. You will still have the 59 failsafe with the 33 Reinstall. You will loose all your settings when you downgrade.
What are you hoping to accomplish by downgrading? Get back SSH access in 59.00.502? That can be achieved without downgrading but it requires the same method as the failsafe mode and I wouldn't go there without the experience/knowhow to solve any issues.
If you still want to do that, remember a few things:
1) Always have backups before you modify any single byte.
2) You are directly accessing a NOR MTD, as such the order is: erase, check blank, program, verify. It takes about 5 minutes.
3) Check the squashfs to make sure that you don't have multiple files with the same name.
4) Check that the SOP16 clamp is making proper electrical contact with the chip.
5) You can still brick the system to some extent by messing with one of the other memory chips (NAND presumably for hibernate and eMMC for OS).

In the factory, JCI/Visteon use the JTAG/ENET port to program. They attach an MII to that port and boot a special image from the network to install.
From what I can tell, the JTAG ports are: 09- NVCC_JTAG, 10- JTAG_TDO, 11- JTAG_TDI, 12- JTAG_TCK, 13- JTAG_TMS, 14- JTAG_TRSTB, 15- JTAG_MOD.

Good luck, but it's not worth spending €600 for a new CMU if you break it and don't have the skills to recover it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can downgrade as low as 33.00.500 only if you use a NOR programmer (CH341A or something like that) to force it into failsafe mode. The 59.00.502A failsafe will install the first (alphabetical order) reinstall.up file that you have in the root of the USB stick even if it's not a version match. You will still have the 59 failsafe with the 33 Reinstall. You will loose all your settings when you downgrade.
What are you hoping to accomplish by downgrading? Get back SSH access in 59.00.502? That can be achieved without downgrading but it requires the same method as the failsafe mode and I wouldn't go there without the experience/knowhow to solve any issues.
If you still want to do that, remember a few things:
1) Always have backups before you modify any single byte.
2) You are directly accessing a NOR MTD, as such the order is: erase, check blank, program, verify. It takes about 5 minutes.
3) Check the squashfs to make sure that you don't have multiple files with the same name.
4) Check that the SOP16 clamp is making proper electrical contact with the chip.
5) You can still brick the system to some extent by messing with one of the other memory chips (NAND presumably for hibernate and eMMC for OS).

In the factory, JCI/Visteon use the JTAG/ENET port to program. They attach an MII to that port and boot a special image from the network to install.
From what I can tell, the JTAG ports are: 09- NVCC_JTAG, 10- JTAG_TDO, 11- JTAG_TDI, 12- JTAG_TCK, 13- JTAG_TMS, 14- JTAG_TRSTB, 15- JTAG_MOD.

Good luck, but it's not worth spending €600 for a new CMU if you break it and don't have the skills to recover it.
He's on version v59.00.441NA. Downgrading is easy, just following the standard procedure (failsafe, reinstall, reboot). There's no need of any kind or programer, jtag or similar below version v59.00.502

·
Registered
311 Posts
hi

ive upgrade from 29.00 to 59.00.502 anad want to downgrade so i can install android auto...
its possible?
I hope that i can do this :)
Hello,

I've upgrade to 59.00.502 (cmu150_ADR_59.00.502A) and i want to downgrade again.

IS there any solution for this

thanks

Both of you are locked in V59.502. Downgrading is no longer posible, or running tweaks.

Next time do some Reading and ask questions before installing firmwares on your own

·
Registered
81 Posts
Both of you are locked in V59.502. Downgrading is no longer posible, or running tweaks.

Next time do some Reading and ask questions before installing firmwares on your own
Tweaks are running just fine on my 59.00.504, it’s just not as easy to enable.

·
Registered
81 Posts

I’m not sure how they have fused the device, but IMX6 can be locked down to only work with an authenticated programmer using a signed challenge response, so it may not work. If it isn’t locked down though, its a great entry point as an open port will allow any unencrypted/unsigned image to be uploaded into memory and execute. I’d need to look a bit closer at the system though, because if they do anything that needs access to the CAAM (crypto accelerator) JTAG will disable it

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not locked down. But I don't actually understand what do you need it for. You can access the SPI NOR (bootloader, SquashFS and the failsafe image) without it. If you image the SPI chip with an earlier NOR image from a 56, 33 or even 29, and set the failsafe flag, you can reimage with any previous version you want.
I'm not going to go into more details, because you can easily fry the NOR chip if you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tweaks are running just fine on my 59.00.504, it’s just not as easy to enable.
Hello,
Is there a way you can show us how to do it?
I just purchased the 2017 Mzda 6 and its preinstalled with 59.00.504. I look at so many pages on this forum and on youtube, no one know what to do or even downgrade the fireware or even just able to install MAZDA AIO since it won't autorun the usb drive.

please help... thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,
Is there a way you can show us how to do it?
I just purchased the 2017 Mzda 6 and its preinstalled with 59.00.504. I look at so many pages on this forum and on youtube, no one know what to do or even downgrade the fireware or even just able to install MAZDA AIO since it won't autorun the usb drive.

please help... thanks!
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...tweaks-firmware-ver-502-read.html#post2081162 Its in the stickies. It is by no means as easy as just plugging in the USB drive, but once you've done it, it will autorun the USB drive again and act the same as before

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's not locked down. But I don't actually understand what do you need it for. You can access the SPI NOR (bootloader, SquashFS and the failsafe image) without it. If you image the SPI chip with an earlier NOR image from a 56, 33 or even 29, and set the failsafe flag, you can reimage with any previous version you want.
I'm not going to go into more details, because you can easily fry the NOR chip if you don't know what you're doing.
Hi @d3vi1!
My car verrsion 59.00.540ADR and it get stuck on boot logo when install USB Video Player 3.5, i tried to restore all file to original, but no luck!

I try this solution by reflash an image of SPI chip (version 56.00.513 ADR) and set the failsafe flag, it boot up to failsafe load, but when insert usb stick with 59.00.513 reinstall.up file to usb port, it show validating 56.00.513.... run about 20% (i looked up on serial console) and reboot to failsafe load again and again...
I don't know why it happend!

PS: i powered CMU up outside of the car!

Can you help me to recover My car's CMU...???

Thank and best regards!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts