2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So I decided to post the final look of the new head unit instead of doing a step by step on how to install it cause as it turns out its ridiculously cold out and i just wanted to get it over with lol. here are the things i ended up needing.

Head Unit (of course) lol
JVC KW AVX840 (its got a GPS if you get the KS u30 cable, USB, all touch screen , iphone compatible, bluetooth w/ external microphone, DVD player must ground wire to override the safety on it i kno i know bad girl bad girl, motorized w/ five tilt settings and detachable screen for security w/ a nice soft pouch and a bunch of other crap)

Antenna adapter.
honda antenna adapter cable 40-HD10 $ 8 on ebay free shipping instead of 12.99 plus shipping on crutchfield

Double din Dash kit.
I went with the Scosche cause i heard the metra was a lil too cheap feeling, this is all plastic so its not all that wow but its nice and fits nicely with the overall plastic of the car. model no. MA1543B $20 on ebay instead of $29.99 on amazon lol. savvy shopper lmao

Mazda wire harness as not to damage the original harness on the car, done that before lol. included w/ the scosche kit pre labeled with the use of each wire.

Tools.

Flat head screw driver
phillips screw driver
credit card (not for shopping lol)
blade (for stripping wires, if you have a wire stripper even better)
lots of electrical tape
10mm wrench for the negative terminal on battery disconnect, ive messed up fuses before so i do this as a prevention.
oh and how can i forget, wire crimp snap connectors,..... BIGGEST PIECES OF CRAP IVE EVER USED. first i couldnt crimp them to the wires cause the metal was so damn hard and when i finally got it crimped turns out after three days the stereo ended malfunctioning, i thought it had broken as it turns out they dont make a reliable connection, removed them and used good ol twist and tape and worked like a charm.

OK so easy as all the online tutorials ive found, disconnect the negative wire of the battery, remove the vents in the middle by the top using the credit card, it requires more force than you would imagine, i actually thought i was going to break it, im a 118lb girl not that i can break many things but im sure i could try lmao. once they are out you'll c two screws there holding the factory head unit to the car. unscrew them.

pull the head unit out, once its out w/ the faceplate to the windshield unhook the harnesses in the back, the antenna is pretty tight so thats why the awkward position. when unplugged its pretty much smooth sailing lol. attach the new harness to the factory one, and make all the connections labeled on each wire to the new head unit harness, (note, for this head unit to play videos while the car is moving without the parking break engaged you must ground the parking break wire thats on the avx840, so ground all three wires together. keep stripping wires and connecting, when you reach the antenna part you must connect the antenna wire that comes out of the head unit and the one from the car plus the one on the antenna adapter all together kinda like the ground, all three blue wires together. and for the illumination the scosche didnt have an illumination wire which the HU needed so i wired tapped into the factory one, light green wire to the right of the harness. That was the only wire i had to hurt during the install lol.

by now you should have the new HU installed in the scosche dash kit following the instructions provided which is pretty much straight forward.

tapped it all together and made it all pretty in the back so the wires werent all crazy jammed. oh i forgot the unit came w/ a microphone so i ran that wire to the top where the map lights are and fished it to the back of the HU, plugged that in too and ran the USB that came w/ it through the back of the drivers side towards the center console so i could run it to the cup holder. im sorry guys this is all wording but i was freezing and i didnt have the time for the pics but when i install the AXXESS METRA STEERING WHEEL ADAPTER, i'll make sure to take some pics of how it looks back there, for now heres the finished product along w/ some videos of the head unit at work. oh one more thing, connect the negative battery wire again and secure it.

HERE ARE THE VIDEOS :walkman:

Reactions: yj4x4

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is the angle or anything awkward about it? I don't want to replace my stock HU, just because it looks like the angles are just not right for it.

BTW, I looked at this headunit. It looks like a boss, definitely makes me consider switching over.

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the angle or anything awkward about it? I don't want to replace my stock HU, just because it looks like the angles are just not right for it.

BTW, I looked at this headunit. It looks like a boss, definitely makes me consider switching over.
Hey sorry for the late reply. No there are no weird Angles with the metra kit. And the screen is motorized with five tilt modes so it kinda works perfectly to avoid glare although it's not ultra shiny so it's just on point. You can also adjust the color to match any color of the car, the buttons colors and the txt colors. It took a bit and take your time to avoid messing up your dash. It comes out nicely.

Emily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts