2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive been seriously considering adding a double din head unit so i looked all over google and here since its one of the best places to search. I've read of a better fitting with scosche double din dash kit vs the metra that some users have had issues not staying on properly. So anyone had any luck with these installs on a 2011 non bose btw. i will be getting the metra harness kit tho so i dont have to ax my factory harness, and the Honda harness for the antenna so the new stereo can have the FM Goodness :)

The unit i've looked into was the JVC KW avx740, any input? also if i got this unit i wasnt sure if the axxess adapter was better than the PAC.

Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black): Automotive

as for bluetooth the car did not come equipped with any so i wont lose anything there, any inputs advise? if i decide to do it or when im ready i'll make a step by step on how i did it. hopefully.

One more thing....Anyone knows where i can find a wiring harness diagram for the NON BOSE FOUR SPEAKER system? i keep finding only the bose with the amp leads and whatnot, i just want the basic one since i dont have any fancy installs yet, maybe in the future i'll add an amp.

Emily

·
Registered
46 Posts
i bought and installed the Scosche for the 2010 speed 3 it was a single/double din kit took like 15 mins to install taking apart the factory set up is pretty easy. i just threw in an old single din alpine x305 looks a lil weird skinny radio my only complaint is the top of the piece. the mazda dash is slightly bowed out but the Scosche piece is straight, so its a tiny bit uneven ill take a pic for u later today and post it other than that looks ok and matches pretty good. the only thing i would do dif is use the stock harness that holds the factory radio instead of the plastic tabs they supply and look for the harness so u dont have to cut any factory radio wires and its color coded the same as the radio your gonna install

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went on to crutchfield and put in the headunit I purchased and just chose the installation gear they had for that unit and read reviews people put on everything. I went with the axxess adapter because of the better ratings. You don't have to buy the stuff from crutchfield but they will at least tell you reviews and what works with what.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used the Metra dash kit and wiring harness. I bought both Metra and Scosche dash kits and wiring harnesses because I didn't know which to use. IMO the Metra dash kit looks cleaner and I prefer how the headunit fits. The wiring kits are basically the same, but the Scosche has the orange wire in the wrong spot. You shouldn't need a wiring diagram to get it installed.

I recommend PAC over Axxess.

The JVC is discontinued already, I would look for something else. What's your budget? The Pioneer AVIC-X930BT is hard to beat. It can be had for under $600.

My full install is here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ronics/9449-adams-mazda-3-stereo-install.html

Attachments

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. So I ended up getting the kw avx840 as a gift love itttttt. And its not even installed yet lol. I ordered the scosche kit and the metra harness with the Honda adapter for the antenna. I'm making a log when I install it and I'll post it. Let's hope this goes good. Right now my decision to install the external mic on the overhead part where the map lights go.... Is that a good decision? Can around really get through that lil hole on the plastic?
Oh and a huge question. Where's the reverse gear wire for the camera trigger. It's a 12v+ reverse gear signal. I have no clue if our cars have it. Any help would b great on that.

And if anyone has this head unit. Can you bypass the parking Wire with just grounding it?

Emily.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes you can ground the parking brake wire. I have a reverse camera in mine but I forget which wire I tapped into. It's definitely there, though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts