2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Recently I started to hear a rattling sound coming from the driver's side door when I'm listening to music with a lil bass...not blasting my system at all...playing it at loudness level "40". Anybody else have this problem with their 2014 Mazda 3?

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I dont have a 2014, but I had the same problem with my 2nd gen. It was the door handle trim. Gave it a little smack and hasnt been back for a few weeks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Its the shiny pannel near the door handle. When you hear it rattle press it and it goes away. Maybe there is someway to remove it and add a thin layer of "something" lol to stop it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi guys,

Recently I started to hear a rattling sound coming from the driver's side door when I'm listening to music with a lil bass...not blasting my system at all...playing it at loudness level "40". Anybody else have this problem with their 2014 Mazda 3?
You might be getting cone distortion.

I found the bose front door speakers to give allot of cone noise on certain music after turning it past 40. I'm adding a sub and making some adjustments to the door speakers to stop this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the responses guys. Would this be something that's covered under the warranty by the dealership?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Less than 500 miles on my car and already rattling in driver side door too. I have volume maxing at 50, usually lower and bass set to 2nd notch to right of center in settings. Very distracting. I don't want to imagine how it will be at 50k miles if already rattling. This happens will all kinds of music with bass / bass lines, etc. like Don Henley, Metallica, Front 242, Moby, NIN, Pet Shop Boys. Just generally all kinds of bass; doesn't have to be real hard hitting..even moderate bass does this. Bleh!

·
Registered
269 Posts
With 9.5" woofers in the door I wasn't surprised to have rattles in the door with bass. I've yet to attempt to precisely track it down and address it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it's the thin paper cone that Bose normally uses. When push fairly hard it will get bad cone distortion i turned my bass down to 1 bar and it seems to help allot. For low volume listening the system is fairly decent.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think it's the thin paper cone that Bose normally uses. When push fairly hard it will get bad cone distortion i turned my bass down to 1 bar and it seems to help allot. For low volume listening the system is fairly decent.
I really don't think this guys rattle is coming from cone distortion as Mazda's build quality is not really that good. But I have heard cone distortion and like you, turning the bass down a bit makes a huge difference. So does turning down the volume. There is a reason subs have enclosures.... Since I don't listen to heavy metal or hard rock and don't blast the volume, the system is good for me. True, as we discussed, it could use tweeters and a sub, but at this point, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I really don't think this guys rattle is coming from cone distortion as Mazda's build quality is not really that good. But I have heard cone distortion and like you, turning the bass down a bit makes a huge difference. So does turning down the volume. There is a reason subs have enclosures.... Since I don't listen to heavy metal or hard rock and don't blast the volume, the system is good for me. True, as we discussed, it could use tweeters and a sub, but at this point, I'm satisfied.
My doors seems very solid to me, I'm not there to listen to his so it's just a guess. When my door speakers do poop out it is very bad. It's like 71% volume OK and 72% volume and it goes to hell. it's not a slow transition at all. Could be my music.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My doors seems very solid to me, I'm not there to listen to his so it's just a guess. When my door speakers do poop out it is very bad. It's like 71% volume OK and 72% volume and it goes to hell. it's not a slow transition at all. Could be my music.
The build quality is inconsistent. It takes a profitable company to spend money on quality control, and Mazda hasn't been profitable. My car seems to be put together fine but I have a friend with our same car and he has several rattles -- some in the door even with the audio off.

The guy did say that if he held his hand on the part of the door that's rattling, it stops. It would not stop if it were cone distortion....

·
Registered
269 Posts
To me it sounds like a plastic on plastic rattle. Either a trim piece that is a little loose or some wires in the door that aren't wrapped in foam/fabric tape that are rattling against the inside of the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2014 Mazda3. I've never blasted music and my car still has less than 2000 miles on it. I noticed that I can stop the noise when i press on the front-most part of the glossy panel that surrounds the door handle. I thought about getting an adhesive silicon pad to attach to the side of the dash so that when the door closes, pressure will be applied to this panel, but I haven't yet in case there's a better solution out there.

·
Registered
241 Posts
my 3's car door does not rattle, but it sure does resonate like any other door panels that have a 6.5 inch midbass speaker that i have owned (honda civic, toyota rav4s, hyundai sta fe, lexus rx and es 350s, etc. with bass heavy songs.

a solution would be to deaden your doors, how car audio guys would normally do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a similar issue with my passenger-side door. I have the non-bose sound system. But the noise seems to be on and off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've got Dual 12inch Alpine Subs hooked up to the Bose system in my 2014 S T - I play them fairly loud from AUX at around level 40 to 48 with out much issue. I doubt it's a common problem maybe just bad fitting of the parts....

I've had rattles that come and go... like about 2 weeks ago my driver side window was rattling, but not from music, from road vibrations. Had to make sure it was all the way up so it didn't rattle...

Anything you can do to keep the trim tight will help I guess. I've used Weather Lining one sided sticky Foam Strips - I have them behind my license plate so it doesn't rattle from my subs - they work well.

Here is what it looks like:

You can get it at home depot... and walmart probably

·
Registered
66 Posts
This has been a serious issue and drives me nuts. I usually spend at least 6 hours in the car every weekend and this has really made me mad on some days. I have popped out the aseembly and it seems like it is the rattle between the door handle and the rest of the assembly which makes it impossible to wedge a foam piece in.

Warranty covering this by any chance? Has anyone tried?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts