2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my 2013 I tour back in December and I love the car but sometimes the driver door panel rattles something fierce either hitting a big bump in the road or turning the radio up pretty loud on rap. Its like a buzzing/rattle sound kinda hard to explain. I have taken it to the dealer once and was able to replicate the issue so they said they took the panel off and tightened up the window motor and stuff like that but alas it still does it. Now for the stranger part when its happening which isnt all the time I can crack the window ever so slightly I mean just bumping the button and it stops but then I have wind noise. Im at a loss as to whats causing this. Has anyone else had this problem? Also when im cornering hard and what not I have some creeking around the radio which isnt that annoying. Are these sounds normal for a 3? Anyone else have these problems?

Also I may have put this in the wrong place on the forum... sorry..

Reactions: watchnu

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I got my 2013 I tour back in December and I love the car but sometimes the driver door panel rattles something fierce either hitting a big bump in the road or turning the radio up pretty loud on rap. Its like a buzzing/rattle sound kinda hard to explain. I have taken it to the dealer once and was able to replicate the issue so they said they took the panel off and tightened up the window motor and stuff like that but alas it still does it. Now for the stranger part when its happening which isnt all the time I can crack the window ever so slightly I mean just bumping the button and it stops but then I have wind noise. Im at a loss as to whats causing this. Has anyone else had this problem? Also when im cornering hard and what not I have some creeking around the radio which isnt that annoying. Are these sounds normal for a 3? Anyone else have these problems?

Also I may have put this in the wrong place on the forum... sorry..
same issue here...i actually thought my speaker was blown at first cause it's only on the driver's side door and only with music having a lot of bass. I've been doing the same thing by cracking the window open to get rid of the rattle. If you look closely as you close and open the window, you can actually see the door panel flex in and out pretty good. (I've gotten so good at it that I can just tap the window down button without opening the window and have no rattle..lol)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep sounds like you are experiencing the same thing I was. I think the seals are so tight is flexes the panel in too far with the window rolled up.

Reactions: watchnu

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having the same issue with my Mazda 3. When I took it in, they couldn't replicate the noise. It is annoying and when I crack the window, the noise stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
door panel rattle

i thought it was just me. I am also having same problem with rattle. if bump the window down rattle goes away. still dig my Mazda even though

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm having the same issue it happened the day I got it but it happens just sometimes with the window up not all the time

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep @Girds its a pretty common thing. buy some sound deadning material and have at it.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I have the same issue, it seems like the window itself is able to move around when it's partially down. I have no rattles with the window full up or full down. I don't have the time to deal with it (nor does it bother me) but inserting some springy foam behind the window inside the door will probably fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle in my door, too

Hi guys. I have a 2010 Mazda3 that has this springy, rattle that happens whenever I hit a bump and it's been driving me nuts. I just came across this forum (and a couple of others) while trying to find a solution and I must say I am amazed that so many people can have the same issue like this, yet Mazda hasn't make any kind of recall. Of course it's not a safety issue, but it certainly affects the satisfaction level of their customer base.

Thank you all for taking the time to ask questions and to answer them. Now I have some idea of what I can check when trying to track down the noise.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just thought I'd update this thread for anyone who may find it in a search in the future...

I've had the annoying door/b-pillar rattle for at least the past year. It's either got progressively worse, or I've become so obsessed with it that it's now all I hear. Even with the radio at a fairly high volume it's still there. Window down, still there. Window up, radio off... definitely there.

I've gone into the b-pillar and added foam tape anywhere I saw potential for contact, and that made no difference. I pulled the door panel off and found that the vertical rod between the exterior handle and latch mechanism is surprisingly loose, and definitely makes a rattling sound when tapped. At the time I couldn't devise a way to prevent the rattling while still keeping the door operational, so I'm not sure that this is what causes the insane rattling.

I ended up taking the car into Mazda, and although they warned me that rattles aren't technically covered under the 3 year / 36k mile warranty, they were kind enough to attempt to fix the issue. They gave me back the car stating that they tightened the door hardware, and that if the rattling returned, to take the car back to them.

The rattling started up again immediately after I drove out of the auto center. At this point I'm pretty sure my car is actually just doing it to drive me insane. So I've set another appointment with the dealership to try to fix the door rattle (as well as a passenger seat rattle that I now have), and the car's going in tomorrow to HOPEFULLY have the rattle eliminated once and for all.

I will either report back when the car's returned to me, or if you see a news story about a man going crazy and setting fire to his Mazda, you know they couldn't get rid of it either...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Let us know what they find, if anything. I have a slight metal rattle too but I'm sure my JBR 80 duro PMM have something to do with it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok, so my car got to spend a nice long time with the dealership while they dealt with the total PITA job of removing rattles. Ultimately what ended up happening, according to the dealership, was they added felt to anywhere the door card contacted anything. I haven't taken the card off to see what they did, but I'm hoping to change out the inserts in the near future, so I'll check it then.

After all that time, the rattle is still there. It is nowhere near as noticeable or frequent as it used to be, but it definitely hasn't disappeared entirely. So I'm not sure if the noise comes from movement between the door and the door card or if the cause is in the door itself, and the dealership just made the door card better at muffling the sound.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
intriguing that they tried to say that an awful rattle isnt covered under warranty on a new car. I found mine was more or less the rod from the door handle to the latch itself. shove some foam between it and the door skin and that should do it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
intriguing that they tried to say that an awful rattle isnt covered under warranty on a new car. I found mine was more or less the rod from the door handle to the latch itself. shove some foam between it and the door skin and that should do it.
My dealership had no problem warranting it and were super helpful the whole time. I too still suspect that rod. I'll try mounting some foam in there next time I get a chance to pull the door apart.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another update!

I took the door apart and inspected the door latch rod. There are two rods (lock and exterior handle) and there is a bracket that fits around the two. It appears that from the factory this metal bracket had some foam on it where the rods are. The factory foam, however, doesn't come anywhere near close to contacting the rods, and because of that the exterior handle rod has a LOT of play in it. So I added more foam to where the factory foam was until the foam actually contacted the rod. This significantly reduced the amount of play in the rod, to the point where there was no more noise from the assembly. Doing this did cause the exterior handle to require a little more force when opening the door, but I may go back in and lubricate the rod to reduce the tension.

I bolted everything back up and drove it around for a few days... and sure enough the rattle was still there.

I then went back to my original theory that the rattle is coming from the b-pillar. I took everything apart there and found play in the belt adjuster assembly, so I added foam and electrical tape to that. I then left the panel off and drove it around to see if there was any change. Sure enough the rattle was still there, and now it was a lot louder, so it was definitely something behind that b-pillar panel.

I tried applying pressure to different parts of the pillar until the rattle went away. What I found was that when pressure is applied to the adjuster bracket, the rattle goes away. The bracket attaches to the b-pillar with a bolt at the top and simple pressure at the bottom (pics soon). So basically it seemed clear that the cause was this metal bracket that's designed to squeeze against the metal pillar was the culprit. So I layered up the electrical tape and the foam on the contact points of the pillar and the bracket and put everything back together.

... AND THAT F****** RATTLE IS STILL THERE!! Seriously at this point it's clear that either my car is truly possessed by a demon with a sick sense of humor, or I've completely lost my mind. Clearly there are no actual physics at work here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My window has been rattling when I play music at a moderate volume. When i brought it to the dealership the told me it was the speaker and that there was nothing they could do about it, but it recently started rattling with no music playing at all. I brought it to the dealership for an oil change and showed them this video http://youtu.be/iOCMcmQKLRs . They should be getting back to me sometime today. Ill post an update once i've got the car back.

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
I brought it to the dealership for an oil change and showed them this video http://youtu.be/iOCMcmQKLRs . They should be getting back to me sometime today. Ill post an update once i've got the car back.
To me, this is very minor and would not take it back to have fixed, mostly because I almost always drive in heavy traffic and/or with the radio on and would not notice anyway.

But thanks for the update.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yup, window rattles when it's rolled down slightly. Both sides.
Amazing that such an obvious flaw like this gets through quality control.

·
Registered
484 Posts
updating this thread again for anyone else out there who may be going just as crazy as me (or in the hopes someone actually knows of a remedy)...

My car's spent a ridiculous amount of time both at the dealership's garage and mine trying to eliminate the rattle that originates from the driver's b-panel/window area. Despite our best efforts the rattle still persists, and the car is now out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty (and honestly modified enough that dealership would be completely in their right to argue the rattle was caused by the suspension or wheels).

My latest attempts were to add denser foam to the seat belt adjuster bracket mounting points and friction tape to the slots on the bracket for the seat belt adjuster. I tried driving without the b-pillar plastic on, and as best as I could tell, the rattle was originating around that bracket. I also did a little research and apparently the seat belt adjuster bracket on the gen one bolted to the b-pillar at the top and the bottom. On the gen two the bracket only bolts at the top and simply compresses against the b-pillar at the bottom (thanks for cost-cutting on safety items, Mazda!)

Adding the foam and the friction tape did not resolve the problem. My next step was to use shin-etsu grease on the weatherstripping around the front and rear windows. I had previously had a rattle in the sunroof that was remedied after cleaning the weaterstripping and greasing it, so I figured it was worth a shot on the side windows. Honestly, the rattle does sound a lot more like rattling glass than metal.

The grease also did not work, and the rattle is still there, just as bad as ever.

Apparently the Mazda gods were unhappy that I was trying to silence the sound of their people, because just in the last month my gauge cluster has started rattling as well. Hopefully that one is a little easier to remedy...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts