2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 S Touring, and I thought the Daytime Running Lights were supposed to include lights around the halo like this:

But instead, mine just look like this, with only a single broken line on each headlight:

Is there anyway I can get the halo DRLs?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I also thought the same when I got my Mazda, and I can guarantee you that you have them.

On broad day light the LED's around the "Halo's" aren't noticeable at all. Also, depending on the market I noticed that the "Halo" ring is slightly weaker on European Model Mazda's when compared to US models. (US market has stricter regulation on car lightning)

If you want to check that the Halo lights are indeed preset then it's very simple, wait for dark or go to a parking lot and have someone drive the car, you will be able to notice from the outside that the Halo lights are indeed present, but they won't be as bright as the horizontal LED lines of the DRL's.

For example here in Israel the output of DRL's is as follows: (*Please note this is not any official information but assumptions based on my own experience)

1-OFF: Full brightness of the DRL's, I would say horizontal LED's 100% brightness and Halo LED 50% brightness, exactly the same as the second picture you posted.(In the US the output of the Horizontal LED's and Halo's is equally as bright)

2-AUTO: same as in OFF

3-Parking lights ON: Here the DRL's horizontal output is dimmed, 50% brightness for Horizontal LED's and 50% brightness for Halo.

4-Headlights ON: DRL's are dimmed to match the output of the Xenon beams, 50% brightness for Horizontal LED's and 50% brightness for Halo.

I hope this was helpful!

Cheers!

·
Registered
578 Posts
So I have a 2014 S Touring, and I thought the Daytime Running Lights were supposed to include lights around the halo like this:

But instead, mine just look like this, with only a single broken line on each headlight:

Is there anyway I can get the halo DRLs?

The halos on our car aren’t real halos like BMWs or anything. It’s just a diffuser ring with 2 LEDs that power it. That’s why it’s dim. If you search the forum there’s quite a few threads on this very subject. A lot of people were disappointed in this.

A few members, including myself have done retrofits to get actual halos installed. One thread even has the headlight unit disassembled and shows the 2 LEDs, and the diffuser ring.

Thread with images and discussions
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...d-drl-halo-should-look-like-6.html#post780458

1 - 3 of 3 Posts