2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask that any able-bodied tape measure wielding 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback (on 18") drivers do an inspection for me.. Measure your ride height on all four wheels, measuring from the ground to the base of the car behind each wheel. Recently I discovered that the front right, rear right, rear left all sit at about 9" (from body to ground) where as my front driver side is sitting a noticeable .4-.5 inches LOWER. I measured in several flat areas (probably looked mental to some people) with an almost empty tank, and also a full tank. No occupants either, so I imagine it's even lower when I'm driving. The dealership stated that "10mm" is the max spec for ride height variation- guess where I'm at according to them? 10mm. They won't do anything unless it gets worse. I only have about 1,200 miles on the car. I'm curious to see what you guys find.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mine is about 8.25" all of the way around and the variance is less than 1/16" and the driver front is not the lowest. This is a difficult thing to measure correctly depending on what point you are looking at. The proper way is to measure between the ground and the frame which should be much less than this measure at about 6". It is very easy to measure incorrectly and it could be that your sheet metal has been bent. Measure from the ground to the frame and see what you get. Be sure to use and inside measure and don't eyeball it from the side as perspective can make a difference when you're looking at rounded edges.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer measured it the proper way you're mentioning and confirmed that it was sagging 10mm at that one wheel, but like I said, it needs to be 11mm (according to them) before they go looking for the problem.. They gave me the spiel about how these cars are assembled on a line blah blah they won't be perfect and I need to let the springs settle to see the true imperfections. I figured 1200 miles would be a decent length of time for this to occur- especially driving on our horrible roads that have been battered by the worst winter we've had in years..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Maybe this is why the alignment is off on so many Mazda 3's. If your alignment off as well as a result of the sagging?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My toe was off a whole degree when I brought it in after i noticed it. Our roads suck here though. I haven't hit anything major however- I'm very careful with potholes. Since they didn't want to look into it I'll just keep getting free alignments (if it gets knocked out again) every month if I have to until they give up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts