2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed H&R Lowering Springs, German Racing Parts adjustable end links, Koni FSD dampers, a Corksport rear end sway bar and Corksport Front Strut Tower Bar.

I'm getting some clunking noises from the rear now that I'm trying to figure out and was hoping for some help diagnosing the problem.

I jacked up the car this Saturday and the bolts that fasten the RSB billet brackets were loose on the passenger side. Tightened up the bolts and the noises seemed to go away.

Of course, they came back the next day.

I took a pic of each setup from the rear, while I had the car jacked up.

Does anything look off from the attached pics?

Thanks in advance.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And now with the images turned the correct way.
CK

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would recheck the 4 bolts on the sway bar bracket. then recheck the 4 bolts on the tie rods.
Did you line up your springs with the groves in your lower seats or perches?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check if the end links are fully tight. You think they are tight but the boot binding can make you think they are.
Thats what was causing my rear to clunk.

Reactions: CerealKiller

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
The lower nuts on the endlink shafts look loose. They should be tight against end, they look like they are bottomed out on the threads.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recheck the 4 bolts on the sway bar bracket. then recheck the 4 bolts on the tie rods.
Did you line up your springs with the groves in your lower seats or perches?
Thanks guys.

I will recheck the bolts on the RSB and see if they came loose again. If they did I'm gonna add some locktite and re-tighten them.

Also, the springs were rotated until they sat squarely in the perch.

Are the springs supposed to face in different directions though? The H&R logo on the rear driver side is facing the front of the car while it's facing the rear of the car on the passenger side. This seems a little odd to me.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lower nuts on the endlink shafts look loose. They should be tight against end, they look like they are bottomed out on the threads.
Thanks arathol. I'll will check them when I get home tonight and do my best to tighten them.

Also, I was looking at a picture you posted of your suspension and it showed your end links bolted on the same side, where as mine cross over. Did I make a mistake on the top bolt and put it on the wrong side?

Here's the pic of your setup.
CK

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Yeah, they do seem to be on the wrong side. The top might be hitting something. Turn them around and see if it makes a difference. They might work better if they are square with the bar too.
Loc-tite the locking nuts on the endlinks too so they won't come loose again.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So...the bolts on the RSB's brackets were loose again. The ones on the passenger side only.

I applied some loctite and tightened them again, which eliminated the metal on metal sound.

I then went to work on the GRP end links..That was fun... I couldn't position my 17mm wrenches correctly, so the bottom bolt on the passenger side end link just kept spinning and wouldn't come off. The others were fine, but I had to give up due to this.

What are you guys using to tighten your end links? Is there a good tool to hold the threads in place so that I can screw on the bolt?
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, mine do too.

The bolt was too tight to fit my wrench over the inner flat part. I gave up after 30 mins of trying different positions.

I'm at my dealership now and am hoping that they can set things straight.

Neftin Mazda in Thousand Oaks is a great dealership, for those that live close.

My rep Julian and my mechanic Freddie are on the job.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI..sway bar bolts were loose again this morning. After a 30 min drive.

Hopefully repositioning the end links will fix that.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Yeah it can be a tight fit. You really need a thin wrench to get in there. I used one of those stamped steel things like you get with Ikea furniture. Only about 3mm thick so it fits right in. I've also made wrenches to fit tight spaces by buying a cheap one of the right size and thinning it out on the grinding wheel.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
FYI..sway bar bolts were loose again this morning. After a 30 min drive.

Hopefully repositioning the end links will fix that.
CK
Are you using a torque wrench? 35 ft/lbs for the endlinks, 20 ft/lbs for the brackets. Loc-tite or nylocks work wonders on bolts that you don't want to loosen up....:wink2:
The brackets can be a real pain to torque properly. I used a small Snap-On torque wrench with a swivel head to do it.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was using a stubby ratchet with a mid length 14mm socket.

I tightened them as much as I possibly could, but obviously something is off.

I'm trusting my mechanic to fix it. He said he retightened the bolts and he's repositioning the end links now.

He's also going to check the springs and make sure they are seated correctly.

Fingers crossed this does the trick.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woohoo! No clunking noises!

Thank you Freddie! And thank you arathol. Your helpful information got us where we needed to be.

Next up...dominating mountain roads. ?
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
https://www.bavauto.com/b8300000

FYI... Here is a link to a very thin 17mm open wrench that is perfect for tightening the GRP sway bar end links. They shipped it very quickly too.

Freddie didn't do a very good job tightening the end links and I had to get back under the car.
CK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts