2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do first oil change but did not buy a crush washer. On other cars I've owned they are re-usable for several oil changes but from what I'm reading that might not be the case with this car.

Can I reuse the crush washer that came from the factory?

:001_unsure:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Getting ready to do first oil change but did not buy a crush washer. On other cars I've owned they are re-usable for several oil changes but from what I'm reading that might not be the case with this car.

Can I reuse the crush washer that came from the factory?

:001_unsure:
It's a good idea to use a new crush washer everytime you replace your oil drain plug. Just peace of mind knowing that as long as you torque it to spec, it won't leak. Reusing the old washer won't guarantee it will leak, but why take the chance for something that is less than a dollar for 6 months of peace of mind?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never replaced it on any car I've owned and I've never suffered any calamity as a result.
Same here. I was just wondering if the 3rd gen 3 had a very poor quality washer or something. Would not want to fill it with syn and have it start leaking.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Same here. I was just wondering if the 3rd gen 3 had a very poor quality washer or something. Would not want to fill it with syn and have it start leaking.
I always change mine on previous cars...less than $1 for the washer and its piece of mind.
So with that said...ill be doing the same on the 3.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Did they make it an actual washer on 10+ models?

On mine it's a whole flange bolt, and I know it isn't $1 to replace it lol
But I need to. Even at a few ft/lbs it's pretty bent from the past few years of oil changes.

That fumoto valve is pretty cool.
but I would never trust it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I won't even be changing my own oil for 25,000 more miles and I'm already itching to hook this up! They have locking rings for 1.00 to guarantee you won't accidentally get a leak. While you may not trust yourself to drive with one of these, the part is completely trustworthy.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I won't even be changing my own oil for 25,000 more miles and I'm already itching to hook this up! They have locking rings for 1.00 to guarantee you won't accidentally get a leak. While you may not trust yourself to drive with one of these, the part is completely trustworthy.
^^ This ^^ Fumotos are very safe...have yet to hear of any leaks. Just installed one on the 3 but had them on other cars. Even the locking ring is really just for people who offroad and drive over brush and tree branches. Even then, you'd have to have the brush scrape just right to remove the stock plastic cover, and apply a high level of force to push the latch up, and then push 90 degrees to the right. Latch is very tight and not easy to open unless you are really trying to push it all the way up and then all the way over to the right.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The washer is a thick washer that doesn't really crush. It actually looked like it was the flange of the bolt. Other cars I had have crush washers made out of copper and actually deformed and flattened.

·
Registered
356 Posts
its it ok to use crush washer from another make? I have tons of honda ones. i bought 50 for $15.

i havnt checked the diameter, but more of a thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its it ok to use crush washer from another make? I have tons of honda ones. i bought 50 for $15.

i havnt checked the diameter, but more of a thought.
If the diameter is correct it would work, not sure what that is however. You could probably look it up or just check when you do your oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts