2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rust on Rear Bumper Guard

Hey everyone,

I was just looking at by OEM Rear Bumper Guard today, and noticed a few prominent rust spots. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure why rust is such a big problem for Mazda..and it's even affecting their add-on accessories. I haven't even had this on my car for a month and this is happening. I'm going to see what they say once a few more spots appear, if nothing I'll probably just get it removed and get PPF/Clear bra done on the back. Greatly disappointed.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was just looking at by OEM Rear Bumper Guard today, and noticed a few prominent rust spots. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure why rust is such a big problem for Mazda..and it's even affecting their add-on accessories. I haven't even had this on my car for a month and this is happening. I'm going to see what they say once a few more spots appear, if nothing I'll probably just get it removed and get PPF/Clear bra done on the back. Greatly disappointed.
Yes, I have the rear bumper guard -- it came with the car. The car is now almost 8 months old and no rust on the bumper guard. The car was waxed when new if that made any difference. There shouldn't be rust on the bumper guard as it is supposedly made of stainless steel.

Reactions: herBs

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I have the rear bumper guard -- it came with the car. The car is now almost 8 months old and no rust on the bumper guard. The car was waxed when new if that made any difference. There shouldn't be rust on the bumper guard as it is supposedly made of stainless steel.

I see, I'll take a picture of it if it gets any worst. Is it possibly just fallout and a claybar would do the trick? I haven't waxed the bumper guard, because I got it between car washes and still have to wash and wax my car!

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
I have one, and haven't noticed any rust on it. I'm actually away from my car right now to go take a photo, but ours looks great.

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Would you two be able to take photos and upload it if possible?
Not for a couple of days. I brought my RX8 down to my Dad's place for a few days. I'll try to remember when I get back, as long as my husband left the car in one piece since he's driving it this week.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the OEM stainless steel bumper guard. It was already fixed on the car before the dealer even removed the plastic wrapping over from the panels. On another quote about rust, I mentioned rust spots on the stainless steel bumper and that they were relatively easy to remove:

Interesting.... I have a hatch and have not noticed any rust on the paint yet, but there were rust spots on the stainless steel bumper protector, until I removed them.

I suppose you all can test to see if it is just rail dust/rust contaminates by wiping over the area with a good Clay Bar and chemical rust remover. I used Liquid Glass Pre Cleaner, as I was planning on detailing my car with liquid glass later. Lo and behold, the rust spots were gone! I wish I took before and after pictures...

EDIT: I have a deep crystal blue mica hatch. The darkness could hide the rust spots.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not for a couple of days. I brought my RX8 down to my Dad's place for a few days. I'll try to remember when I get back, as long as my husband left the car in one piece since he's driving it this week.
Alright, thank you :). And LOL, I hope your husband drivers the car properly hahah.
I have the OEM stainless steel bumper guard. It was already fixed on the car before the dealer even removed the plastic wrapping over from the panels. On another quote about rust, I mentioned rust spots on the stainless steel bumper and that they were relatively easy to remove:
Yes! I remember reading that, just couldn't find it. Would you be able to take a picture of your rear bumper guard for me please? I am going to purchase that cleaner, and apply it to the groove area between the trunk and rear windshield and to the bumper guard. Is there a specific procedure I should follow? And is there a specific type of clay bar you would recommend I purchase?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used this clay bar:

Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11153 Paint Cleaning Clay 8 FL.OZ: Automotive

using water + bit of car wash in a spray bottle as lube. Nothing special, just wiping back and forth with moderate pressure. inspecting the clay. Lucky for you I took a look this morning (alternate side parking BS) and it seems I didn't get every single spot out. I'll try to do a 'cleaned' side and 'un-cleaned' comparison.

I don't want to waste the pre-cleaner on it any more because it simply wasn't designed for that and it's too costly to use in those amounts. Really considering buying 'Iron-X' before I clay bar the whole car and finally liquid glass the thing. This non-stop snow and then rain has been a real pain.

It'll probably be too late to take a clear picture when I get home tonight - but I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Iron-X: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-Remover-500-Ml/dp/B004UM6DLE[/ame] not sure if this is a good price or not.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey everyone,

My car came with the guard, as well. I did have a few spots that looked like rust, when I first took delivery, but since it's SS it had to be something, undetermined. I tried several things, clay bar, goo gone, rubbing compound, acetone, ect., with no success. Finally, I used some silver cleaner for silverware and it took it right off. As with any chemicals, I was careful not to get any on the paint. The spots have never shown up again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car came with the guard, as well. I did have a few spots that looked like rust, when I first took delivery, but since it's SS it had to be something, undetermined. I tried several things, clay bar, goo gone, rubbing compound, acetone, ect., with no success. Finally, I used some silver cleaner for silverware and it took it right off. As with any chemicals, I was careful not to get any on the paint. The spots have never shown up again.
Thank you for this. I will look into that :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used this clay bar:

Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11153 Paint Cleaning Clay 8 FL.OZ: Automotive

using water + bit of car wash in a spray bottle as lube. Nothing special, just wiping back and forth with moderate pressure. inspecting the clay. Lucky for you I took a look this morning (alternate side parking BS) and it seems I didn't get every single spot out. I'll try to do a 'cleaned' side and 'un-cleaned' comparison.

I don't want to waste the pre-cleaner on it any more because it simply wasn't designed for that and it's too costly to use in those amounts. Really considering buying 'Iron-X' before I clay bar the whole car and finally liquid glass the thing. This non-stop snow and then rain has been a real pain.

It'll probably be too late to take a clear picture when I get home tonight - but I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Iron-X: Amazon.com: Carpro Iron X Iron Remover 500 Ml: Automotive not sure if this is a good price or not.
For cleaning the rail dust in between the trunk and the rear windowsheild, should one:
1) Clean that area first with water
2) Clay bar
3) The cleaning solution
4) Wax it

·
Registered
310 Posts
For cleaning the rail dust in between the trunk and the rear windowsheild, should one:
1) Clean that area first with water
2) Clay bar
3) The cleaning solution
4) Wax it
I'd switch it up a bit.

1) clean the area with soap and water
2) use the cleaning solution (if this solves it, you may not need step 3)
3) clay bar
4) Wax/polish

Here is a closeup of the spots (circled in red) : i didn't get them all last time, so I'll be treating my car with Iron-X before it's detailed.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine had some surface rust spots. I just used a stainless steel cleaner and they came right off. I finished off the bumper guard with a light coat of corrosion X HD to add some anti-ruat proteftion .

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd switch it up a bit.

1) clean the area with soap and water
2) use the cleaning solution (if this solves it, you may not need step 3)
3) clay bar
4) Wax/polish

Here is a closeup of the spots (circled in red) : i didn't get them all last time, so I'll be treating my car with Iron-X before it's detailed.
This is exactly what my bumper guard looked like before cleaning.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the help guys. If mine gets to that point, I'll look into what you suggested. I just tried some stainless steel cleaner solution, and it seems to have helped quite a bit. :)

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Whoops, I forgot to take those photos. Mine is dirty now, it's going to rain in a bit. I haven't noticed any rust though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Where can you get the factory OEM bumper guard for the hatchback?

Besides the Mazda dealer, are there any other places that sell the OEM part?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where can you get the factory OEM bumper guard for the hatchback?

Besides the Mazda dealer, are there any other places that sell the OEM part?
Seen a few on Ebay. Still cost around $80 or $90, though. There's plenty of cheap knock-offs, if money is a factor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts