2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

This is my first post.

I've the M3 2016 model and I've recently ordered the centre plate relocator, the one that lowers the plate to the lower grill. I look forward to delivery but I’m still a bit concerned about the airflow question.

Now I've been reading on different forums and I’ve seen that the question have been raised on several occasions by different people. One in particular had an engine light that came on, admittedly because of a mesh that he installed in the lower grille but an airflow restriction none the less.

I’m not looking for any speculations but simply wondering if you or anyone that you know have experienced any complication in airflow, engine light etc. because of restricted airflow to the lower grill? It seems that there should be a by now a rather large group that have been driving around with that or similar mods that should have some experience in the matter.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Merry Christmas, @Bellerofon. Glad you asked. Prior to doing this mod, I had exactly the same question. Tests were made via a ScangaugeII hooked to log intake & coolant temps.....in all drive, weather & traffic conditions. Static traffic jams in tropical summer heat, spirited straights & uphill twisties both w/ & w/o the relocated euro-sized plate on. No significant difference in numbers noted. This gave me the needed peace of mind to go relocate. The M3's wide open grille must be more than sufficient. So w/ the Skyactiv M2. The no-drill relocator gaps the plate from the bumper, so airflow isn't totally restricted there. Here are some pics. Mine has been on beyond 2years w/ absolutely no issues. Here are some pics....
On a 2017 w/ aero lip

On a facelift w/o aero

On M2s

On pre Facelifts

Appreciate your concern. Grats & Thanks!!!
Merry Christmas & A Blessed 2017!!!!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts