2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a manual transmission '14/15 Mazda 3 and noted from the sales brochure that the base model, iSV, doesn't come with a tachometer. Is this the case for the manual also?

On another note, does anybody have any data on what RPMs the car is running at in 6th gear at various highway speed? I'm wondering if the car is geared shorter as a manual trans? I searched all over the place and couldn't find any info on that.

Thanks!
J

·
Registered
184 Posts
you get digital tach on iSV as long as you get MT.

2015 Mazda 3 Sedan - Specs & Features | Mazda USA

I would definitely consider spending the extra $1500 and get the iSport though. You should be able to recoup bulk of that during resale. You get big screen, blue tooth, fold down seat, cruise, power mirror, etc.

If I remember correctly, it's little north of 2000rpm doing 60mph in 6th gear. if you do 75mph, you're pushing 3000rpm in 6th gear.

Since the digital tach is so tiny, I don't really pay attention.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm still researching the 3 but there are useful sites out there that calculate this - which you could use to quickly compare the 3 to other cars.

Using this site to calculate,
Engine RPM / Engine Speed Calculator

using this site's gearing info (which I assume is correct)
Mazda 3 Specs

and using a tire height calculator
Tire Height Calculator

I got that the manual iSV will be at 2,738 rpm. The automatic S would be at 2,132 rpm (they didn't have the manual S on that site). My guess is the S gets better mpg at those speeds, if you can afford the upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. Do you know if there is a discount for getting a manual vs automatic? It doesn't differentiate on the Mazda website.

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
508 Posts
In Canana, you save $1,200 by getting a manual transmission. The only exception is the GT with the 2.5L engine where the manual cost as much as the automatic.

Edit: I have a base 2015 GX manual and notice the rpms are ~2200rpm @ 100 km/h in sixth gear, versus our 2013 GS automatic where they are lower at ~1800rpm @ 100 km/h in sixth gear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. Do you know if there is a discount for getting a manual vs automatic? It doesn't differentiate on the Mazda website.

Thanks,
Jamie
Are you in the US? The price changes when you select the transmission in the car builder.

Build Your Mazda - Mazda USA

IMO you should get the automatic. I have a manual LS1 Trans Am and love it but that gets about 5 more mpg highway than the auto and is a very different car. Selling a manual Mazda 3 in the US will likely be difficult and will have to go for a much lower price, and it doesn't even get as good gas mileage as the auto (at least according to the EPA). Plus, you can manually shift the auto (on all versions?) to make sure it's predictable in the snow and to prepare for passing, etc. Some people enjoy the manual more which is fair enough, but just be aware of those shortcomings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts