2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my first post on Mazda forums! :)

I just bought a 2009 Mazda3 S touring hatchback. It was butchered with typical teenager mods that do not perform well. One of them was HID kit that gave fancy blue light color but one could not see anything at night. I ripped out that garbage (already in trash so don't ask if you can have it - I would not want anyone driving blind and risking running into me at night). I bought some proper Philips ultra white bulbs and put it back in and I can now see again at night. Issue 1 of many resolved.

Next I noticed that the DLR are not enabled on the car. I know many people disable them when using HID kits due to flickering and such or simply because they don't like them. I think the DLR are a good thing and want them back. Its not about the look, it is about other people seeing you sooner especially when they are blinded by the sun from their direction.

So, first of, did the 2009 models come with DLR from factory?

If so, how would they have been disabled? I did quite a bit of searching and found people pulling fuses and also a procedure with handbrake/ignition sequence but that all seemed to apply to the next generation models, not the 2009's. Was not able to find anything for these older models.

Please refrain from posting about adding angel eyes, LED strips, turning fogs into DLR and so on... just interested if factory solution if there was one.

Many Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one knows anything? bummer :(

Went poking around the car. Found the DRL fuse it was empty. Added a fuse, nothing. Some more reading led me to conclude that these 3's used a separate DRL bulb, not the high beam at a reduced wattage like other cars. Looking more closely at the high beam in the headlight identified that there is in fact a cover in the upper corner where the DRL bulb should go and no extra wires or plugs for it.

So, I guess adding DRL will not be easy. Does anyone know if there is a DRL plug and play kit with wiring and relays that can be bought?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts