2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a used 2014 Mazda3 i Touring 5dr with 14k miles and got the attached offer from the dealer. Does that documentation fee seem really high? When I balked, they said they could drop $300 from the car price. I may be able to get them to go down another $200. This is in the N Atlanta area.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I thought so too...

So it turns out GA law requires any advertised price to include any non govt related fees. The dealership cannot charge the extra 899 doc fee.

·
Registered
340 Posts
600 in Connecticut.

·
Working Class Hero
3,641 Posts
It's funny, in Illinois the doc fee is pretty much whatever the hell the dealer feels like charging. License and title fees are separate, mind you. The rest is just shameless gouging.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's funny, in Illinois the doc fee is pretty much whatever the hell the dealer feels like charging. License and title fees are separate, mind you. The rest is just shameless gouging.

purchased my 3 from IL last year and that was not the case, dealership even had postings saying the max per state law was 169.27, and thats exactly what they charged me

seems to jive with google search D:

also, 900, holy balls - edit

Average Dealer Documentation Fees by State looks like 899 might be max and they are pushing it, as of 2011 at least

sounds like its up to you to negotiate

·
Working Class Hero
3,641 Posts
Doc fee on my new mazda3 purchase in February was 80 bucks. There's no set fee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership had to remove the fee because of GA law. The manager blamed his new sales person for the mistake even though he had been going back to the price desk to get approvals for the offer. Don't know who he thought he was fooling...

He then tried to sneak in $400 with the excuse that it was what his computer was displaying. Since I had taken the picture of the offer details, he wasn't able to pull any tricks. The car was priced around $1500 lower than any other comparable listings in my area so I bought it after they dropped the $899 doc fee.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only "documentation fees" I ended up paying in MD for my '3 (2014 model purchased new, Oct 2014) was the state-imposed fees for the car's title, license plates and the registration tags that are valid for 2 years, plus a very reasonable $25 fee for the dealer to do all the leg work with MD DMV. Don't recall the exact figure at the end, but it was about $200~$250 for everything. Dealer itemized each cost element (I made them do that - condition of the deal!) so I could compare with what MD DMV charges for these things, and determine the dealer's cut was only $25.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah I thought so too...

So it turns out GA law requires any advertised price to include any non govt related fees. The dealership cannot charge the extra 899 doc fee.
Unless the laws recently changed, that's just not true. Coming from a former internet manager over several dealerships of a major chain in Atlanta.

$599 is average by the way...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB, 2016 Fiesta ST X57-R, 2007 RX-8 Sport
11 Posts
In Missouri it's mandated no higher than 199$. I actually live on the Kansas side of Kansas City and there's no limitation but most don't charge over 300$ since people will just cross into Missouri if it's too high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is anywhere, its just included in the fine print. They didn't do so? They might have just forfeited the doc fee to take the high road and satisfy you as a customer. Dealerships do that all the time.
There were no disclaimers anywhere. The manager very quickly retracted the price and blamed the "new sales guy" for the mistake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts