2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was in 'fresh air' mode in a parking lot by grass during the work day and I come in to spiderwebs everywhere! After cleaning them up and driving home, a spider lands on me and I try my hardest not to flinch and swerve :(

Is fresh air mode letting them in? How can I make sure this never happens again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I imagine there are easier ways for spiders to make their way into the cabin of the car than through the air ducts, right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No spiders here, too cold and salty for them to survive.

In -20C weathers I cannot run recirculated air as it fogs my windshield

·
Registered
92 Posts
I left it to recirculate in the winter to prevent my windows from fogging up while parked. Don't know if this actually works.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
No spiders where I am .... yet. But I've only had the car since late Nov (3 months), so...

Have thought about this issue, but always left it in fresh air mode when parked overnight (outside, no garage). No real probs yet, and we've had snow, sleet, temps in teens and 20s (F).

·
Registered
437 Posts
As said before, there are way easier ways for spiders to get in your car than via the air vents, and the "recirculate / fresh air" door is hardly air tight enough that a spider couldn't walk right past it (probably).

My car is on fresh air 99% of the time, except in the hottest of the summer days when the A/C can't keep up. I get enough recirculated air at work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As said before, there are way easier ways for spiders to get in your car than via the air vents, and the "recirculate / fresh air" door is hardly air tight enough that a spider couldn't walk right past it (probably).

My car is on fresh air 99% of the time, except in the hottest of the summer days when the A/C can't keep up. I get enough recirculated air at work.
x2. I always leave fresh air on, but like you said, when it's really hot, circulate that air!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Read the title, figured I'd contribute in some way... Started reading WHY the thread started, now I'm going to nope the hell out of here.

On a side note, I had a spider in my helmet... didn't notice til halfway through my ride...

Reactions: JerryO81

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Uh... Spiders through Fresh Air Tract.. Maybe? Honestly I bet they will get in regardless depending on time of year, location and if you park under trees or not. I get crazy amounts of spiders in my house and car cause I live under a bunch of huge trees.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've not had an issue with spiders, but I do try to remember to set mine to recirculate when I get home. We had a dog that had horrible tummy trouble one night and had to clean up several messes. Since our garbage can is in the corner of the garage, my car smelled like it had horrible tummy trouble when I left for work the next morning. :\

The smells definitely don't come in like that when the fresh air intake is off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with others, I think spiders can crawl into a car through many ways other than the air ducts.

Anyway I usually left mine in "fresh air" mode. I only turn to "recirculate" mode if I am driving behind a truck pumping out lots of dirty diesel smoke or near a smelly garbage truck.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
have been setting it on recirculate since reading this thread....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use to switch between fresh and recirculation mode on my old Hyundai. But one day when I switched back to reciculation mode, something seems to prevent it from closing completely, not sure if it is leaves or twigs stucked inside. If there is odour outside, I can still smell a little of that coming out from my airvent in recirculation mode. So now I dont switch to fresh air mode for my new car. And also I stay in city, not much fresh air to talk about in the first place. Ha ha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts