2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to put my lugs in, they begin to croak a little when it gets to the very end where it wont tighten anymore. I'm using a single-handed tire iron and not exerting that much force. I only go until it stops tightening and I'm a pretty skinny guy (so no intense muscular force on it). I have the standard wheel (steel) along with the OEM lugs. Is this something to do with the metal, is it normal, or am I doing something wrong?

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Its normal, especially if they are being over-tightened. You should really be using a torque wrench though. The lugs only require about 90 ft/lbs and it doesn't take a lot to over tighten them. If you weigh 150 lbs and lean on a 1 foot long wrench handle you can easily go past 90 ft/lbs without trying too hard. You can get a proper torque wrench at Harbor Freight thats more than accurate enough for about $20.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I always dread removing my lugs after taking my car in the shop for some reason....you know they purposely overtighten for liability reasons.

·
Banned
842 Posts
WARNING
All lug nuts or fasteners on any vehicle wheels, it is VERY IMPORTANT use a Torque wrench (verified calibrated or routinely set to zero when not in use)

**It is very easy to over tighten a wheel fastener which can shorten it life by stretching or fracturing the stud or nut leading to breakage.

NEVER assume you know how much torque you are applying by the** feel method.
NEVER increase the specified Torque values set by the OEM or specified Engineering recommendation.

Always use a several stepped tightening procedure when torquing any wheel fasteners.
Always use a proper sequence when tightening.

Things DIY and many mechanic dont realize!:

If you use lubricants on the threads i.e. anti seize, greases, spray lubricants, etc., this will change and effect the torque applied to the fastener generally increasing the force which can lead to damaging and or breakage.

If you use more then 2 inch extension on any torque wrench you need to adjust your values using a Torque table for the extra leverage of force applied when torquing a fastener.

If you are unsure of the condition of a torque wrench...DONT USE IT. They are inexpensive ...buy a new one!

Having a shop service your wheels:

If you have anyone other then yourself torque your wheels I strongly suggest to raise the axle the wheel is on loosen all the fasteners and re-torque.

After about 50-100 miles re-check the wheel fasteners with your torques wrench.

Common sence:
If there is excessive rust on any threads use a fine copper brush to clean. You can use WD-40 or the like to help but you MUST use a cleaner to remove any and all substances to have a DRY CLEAN (brake clean works well) fastener to re-use.
If any fastener is damaged in any way even cosmetically GET A NEW ONE!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts