2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I am interested in getting a better sounding engine. The stock 2.0L sounds too wheezy. Do intakes help with it? If not, I'll just go with getting a Vibrant resonator in place of the stock one.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Hi there. I am interested in getting a better sounding engine. The stock 2.0L sounds too wheezy. Do intakes help with it? If not, I'll just go with getting a Vibrant resonator in place of the stock one.
They do make a lot more noise than the factory intake.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure aftermarket exhausts make a lot more noise than the factory ones. I'd also like to know qualitative change in the engine sound

·
2015 Mazda3 iTouring
3 Posts
I tried a Corksport intake and ended up going back to the factory airbox, because the engine only sounded good during aggressive revving. During normal driving, it actually made the car sound like it had a header exhaust leak. I think swapping for better exhaust would be a better, albeit far more expensive, way to improve engine sound.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
I have a K&N 69 typhoon cold air intake (SRI with a heat shield).

It added a nice growl to my engine that wasn't there before. It sounds similar to a stock Subaru WRX in my opinion.

If you go online you can find videos of people revving their engines with various exhaust and intake modifications. If you type in Mazda 3 and Borla, Magna Flow, Racing Beat or Corksport exhausts you should find some good videos.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
I tried a Corksport intake and ended up going back to the factory airbox, because the engine only sounded good during aggressive revving. During normal driving, it actually made the car sound like it had a header exhaust leak. I think swapping for better exhaust would be a better, albeit far more expensive, way to improve engine sound.
The problem with many exhaust systems is they can be loud all the time, unlike an intake. Some systems are loud and can drone badly at the rpms where you would normally drive. Unfortunately the only way you're going to find out is install one. Youtube videos are for the most part pretty crappy and don't give an accurate reproduction of how a system might really sound. Look for reviews, read up on real world experiences on various forums etc before you buy. Keep in mind that what a few might see as "cool" most others would see as obnoxiously loud or ricey sounding.:smile2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best case scenario would be meeting up with a local but the Mazda3 scene in LA is pretty dead, or so it seems

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an Injen SRI and yes it's louder but not as LOUD as you would expect. And as @agochee mentioned, It sounds nice on aggressive revving.

I had my sister do a drive-by and imo it's pretty quiet. It's not something that would make people think "where's that sound coming from"

If you're after being "Loud" and getting that "oh yeah" feeling, i would suggest get an Exhaust or the cheaper route: A Muffler Delete (if legal in your area)

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Check my build thread to see an "acceptable" quality exhaust clip. I need to re-record it under better conditions, but all I did was chop the old axleback exhaust off, and weld a new eBay exhaust can to it. Gave it a more low end rumble and has zero drone whatsoever. Just don't touch the resonators/cats in the middle and you should (key word there) be fine. I also have the stock intake and it's a 2.0L. But I mean for $60 it made my car sound the way I wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts