2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Do I have navigation system?

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  2017mazda3 
#1 ·
When I click on the Navigation icon I see the compass with a message that my vehicle is not equipped with navigation system, but I can purchase such from a Mazda dealer. :surprise::surprise::surprise:

I do not have a SD card, but want to know how can check whether anything additional is required to use the navigation ?

I'm the second owner of the car, so don't know whether the 1st owner ordered it with navigation...

Asking my local dealer is not an option, because the car is imported from Canada and I'm in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe), so the local dealer does not recognize the vehicle VIN number. No such car they say.... communication has to go through Mazda Europe. I want to avoid such hard communication...

Thanks!

#5 ·
Why buy from ebay? You can download from internet and make SD card for free. Just need to activate by running scripts if you have access to you CMU (firmware less 59.00.502). I have successfully added EU maps on Canadian car.

#8 ·
Here's an interesting question for which maybe the answer is obvious or not...

What happens if someone bought a used Mazda which previously had an SD nav card inserted, but for some reason the SD card was removed prior to that person buying the car....keeping in mind in this scenario that the person buying the car never knew either way if there were a SD nav card previously used and inserted.

It seems the only way to get a working nav SD card in this scenario is to go to the Mazda dealership (and buy and have programed a new Mazda SD card) because the previous SD card would have been locked to the car and updated thru Mazda toolbox? Correct? So buying a Nav card from ebay in this scenario would be a waste of money if there were previously a SD card locked to the car's vin.

I bring this up for anyone who may have bought a used Mazda which has nav capabilities but did not include the nav card. You take a chance wasting your money first on ebay if there were a nav card installed previously.

#10 ·
It seems the only way to get a working nav SD card in this scenario is to go to the Mazda dealership (and buy and have programed a new Mazda SD card) because the previous SD card would have been locked to the car and updated thru Mazda toolbox? Correct? So buying a Nav card from ebay in this scenario would be a waste of money if there were previously a SD card locked to the car's vin.
Not exactly. You can add new SD card and drive 100km until it will be locked to car. Then connect to mazdatool and update. Just your free update expiration date will remain the same what was with original card. Naviextras.com have your car VIN and expiration date is locked to that VIN. I've bought a used car with original NA maps SD inserted. Removed that card and installed new one with EU maps. After driving and locked to cars VIN card was first time connected to Mazdatools. Mazdatools regonnized my VIN and said that I also have NA maps and updated both Europa and USA maps on the same SD card. Expiration date remaining the same what was on original card for both maps.
In my case I've added different maps card, but it should word with the same region maps.

#12 ·
I made a patched SD 8Gb with Europe maps for free (found instructions on this forum how to). When connected first time to Mazdatool ran update, mazdatools said there is no enough free space on card. So I moved card content to 16Gb SD and connected again. This time both maps was installed successfully.
If subscription is expaired then this is the end. Only way to extend subscription is to buy it from naviextras officially. VIN is locked with expiration date and every new card will have this expired date. In my case I have 2.5 years of subscription for both maps because first map was activated on mazdatools 0.5 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.