2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting some mixed answers when trying to Google it. Some say yes, some say no, some say certain models, etc...

I kinda miss the 2015 I had, so I'm looking to buy new for a second vehicle. Dealers want $20k for a 2015-2017 with 60k miles on them. Might as well by new for a couple more grand. But I don't want CD. I'll pull plugs and sensors to deactivate it if I have to...

Looking at a 2022 Mazda3 2.5L S Sedan.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,627 Posts
I believe it was phased out for the 2021 model year but a few early production models got some remaining inventory with it installed.

I think you are good, although 2023 models will be available in a few months, most likely.
CK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't think it came on anything other than the Premium at launch. And my 2022 does not seem to have it. The shitty transmission makes it sluggish enough!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe just the Select model has CD...and only the Sedan?

Advanced Features and Tech

Stepping up to the Mazda Mazda3 Select, we find a Mazda Mazda3 sedan motivated by the same SKYACTIV®-G 2.5 DOHC four-cylinder with variable valve timing (VVT) found on the Mazda Mazda3 2.5 S sedan. The Mazda Mazda3 Select also provides cylinder deactivation and has an available all-wheel drive (AWD) powertrain.

Mazda 3 Select sedan:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Mazda 3 Select Hatchback:

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 2021 turbo model does not have that feature, it’s the “base” model turbo, not sure what options it has (I believe not much unless machine gray is an option), also not sure of the actual manufacture date. For sure though when you spend that much cash on something, if your dealer can’t properly take care of you and answer your questions about cylinder deactivation, I would not spend my money there, remember you need a good relationship with them. I’m picky enough when I buy my next weed eater I will buy from someone who will take care of my needs more than the brand. I like Husqvarna but would choose another brand as long as I don’t have to deal with the people down the road anymore. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I've looked at several used models (2015-2018) and I just can't find one that is in good enough condition to warranty the asking prices...so I'm back to looking at new ones. Lease? Buy? I don't know yet, but I did stumble on another bit of information. I believe "CDA" stands for "Cylinder Deactivation"...if not, someone please correct me.

So hopefully using the PDF sandy posted above (Models with an "M" as the 8th digit in the VIN have CD)
And what I just stumbled on involving the gear ratios, we can narrow it down further.

Looks like the models without CD have a 3.42 final drive ratio, and models with CD have a 3.62 final drive ratio.
(I am not looking at AWD or Turbo models. Just the base 2.5L)

This also confirms my suspicion that the Hatchback models do not get CD, as the final drive option is blank "---" for the 3.62 option that the CD engines get.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then we have this one. A Select model, which my research shows does have CD, but the 8th digit of the VIN is NOT a "M", but it does have the 3.63 axle ratio.

No idea if it actually has CD or not, as I can't find any wording about it for that car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Sedans are built in Mexico, and the Hatch is built in Japan?

Reactions: 700R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I've looked at several used models (2015-2018) and I just can't find one that is in good enough condition to warranty the asking prices...so I'm back to looking at new ones. Lease? Buy? I don't know yet, but I did stumble on another bit of information. I believe "CDA" stands for "Cylinder Deactivation"...if not, someone please correct me.

So hopefully using the PDF sandy posted above (Models with an "M" as the 8th digit in the VIN have CD)
And what I just stumbled on involving the gear ratios, we can narrow it down further.

Looks like the models without CD have a 3.42 final drive ratio, and models with CD have a 3.62 final drive ratio.
(I am not looking at AWD or Turbo models. Just the base 2.5L)

This also confirms my suspicion that the Hatchback models do not get CD, as the final drive option is blank "---" for the 3.62 option that the CD engines get.

View attachment 287651
Hey, just signed up -- first post. I'm taking delivery of a 2022 White M3 2.5T PP on Sept 6. Funny story -- it's one of the last 3 model year 2022 mazda3's ever made. They happened to get delivered to the same area around me and I snagged one! So they will be on to 2023 inventory now, they've taken 2022 M3TH's off their site as well. I was concerned about this as well and my M3TH does NOT have CDA. CDA was phased out in the hatches last year. That's as much as I know. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey, just signed up -- first post. I'm taking delivery of a 2022 White M3 2.5T PP on Sept 6. Funny story -- it's one of the last 3 model year 2022 mazda3's ever made. They happened to get delivered to the same area around me and I snagged one! So they will be on to 2023 inventory now, they've taken 2022 M3TH's off their site as well. I was concerned about this as well and my M3TH does NOT have CDA. CDA was phased out in the hatches last year. That's as much as I know. Hope it helps!
welcome and enjoy the ride. FWIW the turbo never had CD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2017 Touring hatch 6-spd...so I brought that home today. No new car for me yet. Maybe that inline-6 will sway me in the future though. Thanks for all the help and info...hopefully it will help someone else

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been getting some mixed answers when trying to Google it. Some say yes, some say no, some say certain models, etc...

I kinda miss the 2015 I had, so I'm looking to buy new for a second vehicle. Dealers want $20k for a 2015-2017 with 60k miles on them. Might as well by new for a couple more grand. But I don't want CD. I'll pull plugs and sensors to deactivate it if I have to...

Looking at a 2022 Mazda3 2.5L S Sedan.
I owned a 2019 GT with CD and a 2021 GT turbo (recently deceased) without. And good riddance. CD was really noticeable at 90 Km/h with a slight barely perceivable jerk like the AC engaging. Only it did that constantly. Mazda tweaked it after some engines were being destroyed by this half baked technology. The tweak made it almost never engage.
I was happy when the Turbo abandoned it.
i have a 2022 GT turbo on order. When it arrives I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding is, the production year of 2023, Mazda has now started to use the CD again on the 2.5L NA engines...
hence the reason (in part) why the 2023 models can now do 191hp instead of 186hp which was the norm for model years 2019 - 2022.
For the Turbo, no CD is used for 2021, 2022 or 2023. Mazda is calling the 2023 turbo engine 'Dynamic Pressure Turbo'.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My understanding is, the production year of 2023, Mazda has now started to use the CD again on the 2.5L NA engines...
hence the reason (in part) why the 2023 models can now do 191hp instead of 186hp which was the norm for model years 2019 - 2022.
For the Turbo, no CD is used for 2021, 2022 or 2023. Mazda is calling the 2023 turbo engine 'Dynamic Pressure Turbo'.
You intimate, then, that CD and the mods catering for a boost in power happened at more or less the same time...? They are not actually linked or related to one another, per se...

·
Super Moderator
7,407 Posts
The specs for the 2023 hatch are up on the Mazda website. All hatch models except the turbo have CD, but CD has nothing at all to do with power output. The increase is due to design changes in the engine and engine management system.
Mazda has since day one used the term "dynamic pressure" for its turbocharger. Nothing new there.....

·
Super Moderator
7,407 Posts
5 hp isn't a whole lot. Chances are Mazda won't say exactly what changes were made. Probably just a minor software tweak, and no dealer will do a software update like that for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts