2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Original Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my 2010 Mazda3 5dr and wanted to paint the fog bezels black. After searching, reading, and PMing, I found that the popular opinion was that you must remove the bumper cover in order to remove the fog bezels, or you can just pull and break the one tab that has a screw in the top center area of the bezel. I decided against the break method. I wanted to see if there was a way to avoid removing the bumper cover, and I found that it can be done. So I wanted to share the steps I took since there's not already a DIY about this specifically.

I also had purchased some yellow vinyl fog film and wanted to remove the fog lamps for installation, as I bought just a sheet of 12"x12" and did not get pre-cut vinyl.

I am only going to describe how to remove the parts from the car, the painting and vinyl processes can be found on various websites and the vinyl will usually come with detailed instructions.

Tools Needed:
jack and jackstands
wheel chocks
phillips screwdriver
"stubby" phillips screwdriver
flat head screw driver or automotive clip removal tool
10 mm socket and rachet
21 mm socket for the lug nuts or your factory lug wrench
Needle-Nose pliers
beverage of choice and music optional, I was drinking Kona Longboards and listening to Talking Heads.

The time can vary depending on what mods you're doing, but removing the fog lamp should only take about 10-15 minutes. The whole process start to finish took me much longer as I was taking photos, being careful, painting and doing vinyl...and I also removed by bumper emblem for paint.

Start by putting the car on jackstands (I put my stands under the rear engine cradle bolt on both sides) and removing both the front wheels.

Next, remove the 3 screw retainers marked with arrows in the photo below. Once the screw is out, you can use your clip tool or flathead to pry the base of the clip out of the fender liner.

On the passenger side, there is one 10mm bolt circled in this photo...remove it. I believe the driver's side has no bolt and has only a plastic screw retainer like the one pictured below next to the 10mm bolt.

Then go underneath and get the three dark screws (not the silver screws)

Then you can pull the liner back..you kinda have to pull outward a little to get it pop out of the joint with the inner liner piece where the white arrow is pointing

I used a bottle of washer fluid and radiator coolant to hold the liners back out of the way while I worked.

Now you can remove the fog lamp assy, housing and all. There are four silver screws holding each lamp on. The top right one on the passenger side is where you'll need a stubby phillips because the washer reservoir is close by. This is also where I unplugged the fog bulb and the other plug on the inner side of the housing. The driver's side has only the fog bulb plug.

The passenger side has a wiring harness clipped into the fog housing in three spots as marked. Do not remove the screw circled in red, this is your lamp aiming adjuster I believe.

Once the fog housing screws are out, you can twist the lamp assy around to gain access to remove the wiring harness (passngr side fog lamp only). The harness is clipped into the housing in two spots, and then the inner plug also snaps into the housing. All 3 of which can be accessed on by turning the lamp around different angles.

And....happy little fog lamps

Now there's that pesky bezel screw (which I chose not to reinstall).

Driver's side is a little easier as there is no washer reservoir and no wiring harness on the fog lamp. Good time to tackle that horn upgrade as well!

Finished product:

Also painted my bumper emblem while I was in there, it comes off pretty easily through the hood latch area.

Left over parts:

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Nice write-up and they look great ! :yes:

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
Great writeup, but why didnt you put the screws back in?

·
Registered
987 Posts
i'm guessing so he can pull 'em to repaint...mine need repainted.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
I see that makes sense.

·
Original Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
AcrophobiA
144 Posts
nice write up! looks great as well..

·
Original Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great write up.
What paint did you use? Did you do anything to the emblem prior to painting it?

thanks...there are many different opinions on what paint to use. I personally like to use the semi-gloss black Duplicolor engine enamel. I've had great luck with it on wheels, interior plastics, exterior plastics, emblems, headlamps housings, etc. And yes, you must prep the parts before painting them. It's best to try to strip all the chrome off of emblems before painting them. The fog bezels are made of a really soft plastic, so just a scuff with scotch brite pad is enough, no real need to sand those down as you risk leaving sand scratches in the material.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just wanted to confirm that the bolts circled in red are indeed used for fog light adjustment. The entire housings are mounted on a semi-horizontal axis so you have up-down adjustment, but no left-right adjustment. Simply loosen the bolt and push the bottom of the assembly forward to raise the fog beam. I found that the factory setting was not to my liking. I adjusted mine shortly after picking mine up.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
fog lights

nice write up. have a quick question though. how were you able to get the fogs to turn on? did you use any type of special harness? or do they come on with the headlights? i'm also thinking about adding the fogs to my car. thanks

·
Original Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice write up. have a quick question though. how were you able to get the fogs to turn on? did you use any type of special harness? or do they come on with the headlights? i'm also thinking about adding the fogs to my car. thanks
My car came with foglights. If yours didn't, you'll need to run a wiring harness and a switch, possibly a relay too. I'm not sure since I didn't need to do any of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts