2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some talk about eyelids from ebay, and from companies like CORKSPORT and Nextmod. People either like the style but not the price, or like the price but not the style. Personally. I didn't like either. Actually to be honest, I think eyelids looks stupid as all hell. I like the large headlights. But, because I enjoy building things and I have nothing to do, I figured I'd like to create my own eyelids that I might actually like.

The goal of the project was to
  1. Not go over $20.00
  2. Have fun
  3. Leave a mess in the living room to piss off the girlfriend in hopes of having make up sex.

This DIY will be in parts, as I am creating this post while I am making it. Additional parts will be added to this, original post, when updating.

So I suppose here it goes.

PART ONE

Creating the overall look, and cardboard template.

Materials used:
  • Eletrical tape
  • Blue Painters tape
  • 1/16 thin cardboard - from the back of an IKEA bookshelf because I'm cheap.
  • Beer. (Don't judge me because it's before noon, I'm thirsty)

The first step was to clean the headlights. After they are clean I used the electrical tape to create a rough outline of the shape I wanted for the eyelids.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7394812434_fb8db4b19d_z.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7394811652_2e1c2cd95a_z.jpg

Once happy with the first draft outline, I filled it in with more electrical tape, so I can get the full effect of what would be covered in the final product.

After filling in the empty space I found myself not liking now thin and low key it was - reminded me of already existing eyelids. I decided to add more tape and thicken it up.

Happy with the results, they next step is to create a template with the painters tape. The reason for using two different tapes is to be able to pull up the painters tape, while keeping the electrical tape on the headlights to keep the overall design and shape.

I covered the electrical tape with the painters tape, overlapping them from the inside out. Layering them is important so when you pull the tape up, from the first layer you put down, the tape you overlapped gets pulled up too, making one piece.

After the painters tape was down, I pulled it up and placed it on some computer paper so it wouldn't stick to itself, and it'd keep the shape.

You can see the painters tape pulled up some of the electrical tape, which is okay. The important thing is that it left the final shape of the eyelid.

Now I went inside and placed the painters tape template on to some thing cardboard to create the cardboard template.

Traced it on, and cut it out.

Then I bought it out to the car, and trimmed it just a bit to fit a little better. I also created marks on the headlights with sharpie that match up with marks on the cardboard template. This allows me to line it up perfectly every time so I don't screw up. The sharpie will be removed later with rubbing alcohol.

I drew a line where the cardboard bends. Just for shits and giggles.

Thats it for part one. Hopefully in a few hours I'll have part two, which will be creating the fiberglass sheets that i'll be tracing the cardboard cutout on, and creating fiberglass pieces. I gotta make more of a mess in the living room so I can get it in later... :yes:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
[*]Leave a mess in the living room to piss off the girlfriend in hopes of having make up sex.
LOLed at this haha
i seriously just got back from walmart with the fiberglass kit lol gonna start after lunch :3

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This project will have to go on hold for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What happened? Im half way done, not sure if it will look good tho lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
isnt that almost the exact same shape as these ebay lids?
Almost. But the ones I am working on have more of a swirl too them. I didn't like how sharp of a line it was.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What happened? Im half way done, not sure if it will look good tho lol
The weather here is getting bad, and I am trying to think of a new way to mount them. Plus, I am unsure I want to invest more time right now. I work from home and I tend to lost track of work and work only on car shit.

I might plastidip the shape on there, to see if I really like it. Then peel it off in a day or two and continue working. Let me see what you're working on.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
lol alrighty, mines gonna be similar to the gv ones from nextmod

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The weather here is getting bad, and I am trying to think of a new way to mount them. Plus, I am unsure I want to invest more time right now. I work from home and I tend to lost track of work and work only on car shit.

I might plastidip the shape on there, to see if I really like it. Then peel it off in a day or two and continue working. Let me see what you're working on.
i have a question, would it turn out fine if i add another layer of fiberglass after it is cured?

nice if they come out good ill buy them from you
lol i only made one pair and used pretty much all of it lol
they are like 14 bucks in walmart

·
Registered
268 Posts
lol i only made one pair and used pretty much all of it lol
they are like 14 bucks in walmart[/QUOTE]

you should make some more and sell them on the forum, i would buy them specially if they look identical

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
lol if they do end up being good then i might think about it

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Working with fiberglass and fun should not be used in the same sentence unless the phrase "is not" is places between them. Ie. working with fiberglass is not fun. Seriously. More power to ya but that shit gets everywhere and you really can't clean it up. Lol.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Working with fiberglass and fun should not be used in the same sentence unless the phrase "is not" is places between them. Ie. working with fiberglass is not fun. Seriously. More power to ya but that shit gets everywhere and you really can't clean it up. Lol.

lol the cloth did get every where in my garage but nothing a little sweeping won't clean up lol
but the resin did get on my hands and they won't wash off >.<

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
It's the resin thats a pain in the ass. I always wore latex gloves when I messed with it. And that wasn't enough sometimes. oh well. Glad people are trying new stuff on here :yes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both eyelids are cut and shaped from the fiberglass. I just haven't put too much thought on how to attach them.

I was never going to actually keep them on, so I might just sloppily attach them for your entertainment.

I've just been swamped with website work. I also do a personal 52 week project where I create products and start with concept and end with product packaging for funsies. Create some sweet ambient light lamps for a desk. Maybe I'll share those in an off topic thread.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i still need to sand and paint mine... got a bit lazy :p

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You may have answered this and I'm on my phone so I can't see pics but how are you attaching the eyelids to the headlight?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
im planning on just using the 3m double sided tape

1 - 20 of 22 Posts