2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally was able to get a spot in my buddy's garage and some free time, so here it is, as promised.

EDIT: Here's the 2010-11 guide, adding as per Phil's request: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...010-3i-fog-light-installation-guide-pics.html

===============================================
Interior

Pre-install:

I started off with the switch on the steering column - install took about 10 minutes because I was being super careful. Pull off the top half of the plastic guards by pushing up on the indents of the old switch and starter port.

Top-down view once it's off:

Side view:

There are two screws you need to remove, one above the switch and one below it. In order to get the bottom one, you need to detach (but not necessarily remove) the bottom steering column shield. If you look at it from the bottom, there are two holes with screws inside of them. Remove them.

Holes with screws inside:

Once you've removed the screws, pull down the shield and demount the switch from the steering column via the two smaller screws:

Screws:

Pull it out, and detach the cable - it should come out rather easily, just make sure you push down on the plastic lock.

The cable:

Switch-less column:

Now attach the new switch
to the cable, screw it back in using either the screws from the old switch or the new ones that came with the kit, push up the bottom plastic shield, screw it in, and put back the top shield by simply holding it in place and pushing down.

Test out the switch to make sure your lights work - I just flashed the highbeams.

Exterior - The Good Stuff
Jack the front of the car up (I used two floor jacks - I don't recommend this, my friend was using the two jack stands at the time on his Expedition so we had to make do) and remove the bumper. If you're not sure how to go about doing that, this page has a great explanation of how to do it - and it works for the 2012, too. Remember to detach the cable from the bumper.

This part was done very quickly (10-15 minutes?) as my friend really wanted to get to a.. "hangout". ;) So, the pictures won't be as detailed and descriptive as with the Interior.

Put the bumper down on some sort of easy surface (cloth, cardboard, etc) to prevent any scratches if you happen to slide it - and this thing is light, you will slide it. First, remove the dummy foglight housings by pushing outward on the little locks that line their edges.

Picture is of an upside down view:

Then remove the two screws that hold each one in place, and pull them out - make sure to keep the screws, you'll need them for the real foglight housings.

Now install the new housings the same way you removed the old ones, there will be an LH and an RH written on them - "Left Hand" and "Right Hand". Line them up and push them into the housings, then take 3 screws from the bag that came with the kit and mount them as shown here:

Start with the right-hand side, attach the longer-wired blue-tipped cable to the fog light and push the white pins from the harness into the fog light mount as shown here:

Secure the wiring harness along the bumper:

Attach the other side of the harness to the left foglight the same way, hold the bumper up to the car and reattach the cable that you removed when detaching the bumper. As the bumper is held close to the car, continue to secure the wiring harness via the white pins up behind the windshield washer fluid tank, and finally attach the tip as [poorly] shown here:

Reattach the bumper, turn on your headlights (the fogs are not independent of them), and enjoy their SEXYNESS!

The aftermath:

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts
Sweet good to ee its pretty much the same as the '10-'11 cant wait to get some money and do this

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, it's a quick install.. all in all took about 45 minutes. Removing the bumper took the largest chunk of time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very nice. I think this is a first fog DIY for the 2012. This should be posted in the How To section.
Now all you need are yellow lamin X films:mellow 1:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paging Mr. Admin O_O

Could this be moved to the How-to guides page, por favor?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Straight from the dealer, they had a 15% sale on it so after taxes and everything it ran me $331. I'm pretty sure that's the only place you can get these kits nowadays - unless you wanted to go to a junkyard in hopes of finding a 2012 Mazda 3 of iTouring trim or better.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looks good!

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your fog lights from?

Also, did it come with the new light stalk to control fogs independent from low beams?
I got it from the dealership. Just under 300 for the lights/bezels and stalk. Yes, the stalk comes indepentent from the lights because if you have auto headlights, it's a different stalk. The stalk does not, however, work the fogs independent of the low beams. You'll have dig into the wiring to bypass the headlights for fogs only.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Which dealer did u get it from? I asked my dealer, they wanted 375+tax

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
My dealer wants $385.90 ($305.95 for the kit + $79.95 for the turn signal stalk). Should come down to 328.02 with my 15% off coupon Mazda mailed me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hmm... mazdaparts.org has it for $333.69 (no tax and no shipping). I wonder if I can get my dealer to match that and honor the 15% off coupon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts