2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This 2019 is the first car I've had with a HUD, which I love! However... every now and again the sun is at whatever angle, I find I get really distracting reflection onto the windscreen - a square round what I presume is where the HUD projects from.

Anyone else finding this? And anything that can be done??

Thanks!
M

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the previous model and cured bad reflections by placing black felt over the offending parts of the dashboard. I suggest placing black felt around the aperture from where the HUD projects. If the aperture itself is a problem then there isn't much you can do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nothing can be done, its the nature of physics. Its like if you were to leave a park receipt on the dash it would reflect onto the wind screen. You will also notice the center speaker grill also reflects... aint reflection a bummer ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing can be done, its the nature of physics. Its like if you were to leave a park receipt on the dash it would reflect onto the wind screen. You will also notice the center speaker grill also reflects... aint reflection a bummer ...
Yet other car manufacturers have figured out how not to have this annoying reflection. Have they defied the law of physics?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yet other car manufacturers have figured out how not to have this annoying reflection. Have they defied the law of physics?
Do you have a pic? I get a reflection as well sometimes but it’s mostly a half or quarter of a rectangle that frames the information. It doesn’t feel any more obstructive than the actual info so not sure how it’s distracting.

As far as other manufacturers, do the ones you’ve experienced have a flat display thats flush with the dash? Maybe it’s the shape of the Mazda one?

EDIT: I just saw you said it’s your first car with a HUD...how do you know that other manufacturers don’t have the same glare then? :grin2::detective:

·
Registered
144 Posts
The thing about glass reflections is that once you start looking for them you'll notice many and it will be difficult to get them out of your head. Eventually your brain will ignore them but if you look for them again, they'll be back. I try not to think about or look for glass reflections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you guys referring to the blind spot indicator on the HUD? I initially thought it was glare on the windshield but I soon realize the HUD was indicating that an object was present either on my left or right blind spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only thing I have noticed is occasionally there is a corner reflection on the windshield of my 2019 but it is pretty easy to ignore. I have been wondering why Mazda calls themselves a drivers car when they left out a couple of items that would be useful in the car when driving in manual mode, a tach, and gear position indicator. I love the hud but it would be nice if it had both of those things when manually shifting the car since the purpose of the hud is to keep the driver's eyes on the road and I have trouble seeing the tach in my current seating position. The steering wheel is just in the road for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the various replies! Sunglasses definitely does improve, but I think some black felt round the edge could help as it feels like that's what I'm seeing (it's definitely not a deliberate HUD projection such as proximity warning etc). And no I don't have experience from other cars hence was interested if anyone did have experience to know if this M3 implementation is any worse than others (Mazda or other).

·
Registered
141 Posts
One guy I saw on youtube drives with a sock and puts it in the hud, you could try that too (no need for a sock, just get some kind of a cardboard to cover when the sun is in "that" position)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the various replies! Sunglasses definitely does improve, but I think some black felt round the edge could help as it feels like that's what I'm seeing (it's definitely not a deliberate HUD projection such as proximity warning etc). And no I don't have experience from other cars hence was interested if anyone did have experience to know if this M3 implementation is any worse than others (Mazda or other).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here with windshield refection at times.
You would think the designers and techs would have realized and corrected before mass production.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I have noticed this too under certain weather/sun/light conditions. Pretty distracting. I think it's due too a poor choice of (too reflective?) materials. Here is someone on a Volvo forum with a similar issue and posted some pictures:

But I find the backlight that doesn't always seem to dim properly even more annoying. In that case you see the entire backlight display frame. Almost as if the auto brightness bugs out. Couldn't find an option to disable the auto brightness for the hud either,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts