2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was reading in the car manual, when I came accross the "Distance & Speed Alert (DSA)" part.

1598180201213.png 1598180297649.png

I realized that I've never seen a warning of the DSA assistent. Only the SBA warnings are coming up regulary.
My car is having this feature definitly, and it's also enabled in the Mazda Connect II system.

Does anybody of you have ever seen this warning?
1598180318872.png

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I know that there are four different screens and that the assistent is for the tailgating traffic only. (y)

But I'm wonder that I never got a warning from this assistent so far. I mean, I'm pretty sure that I'm not always keep the recommend distance to the cars ahead. So I'm wondering if anybody of you ever got an alert from this assistent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've asked the same question in the German Mazda forum and a user replied, that the assistant alerts him often, when he switches to a lane on the highway, where another car drives right in front of him. So I guess it needs a really small distance to trigger this alert.

Good to know that the assistant is there....but I think it's too dangerous to test the function. It could cause an traffic accident.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I am very close to the car in front, yes I saw the red warning telling me to back off lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
The other day I was reading in the car manual, when I came accross the "Distance & Speed Alert (DSA)" part.

View attachment 278379 View attachment 278381

I realized that I've never seen a warning of the DSA assistent. Only the SBA warnings are coming up regulary.
My car is having this feature definitly, and it's also enabled in the Mazda Connect II system.

Does anybody of you have ever seen this warning?
View attachment 278382
My 2016 M3 says audibly watch your speed only on one intersection in my neighbor hood no matter how slow I go I wonder what could be triggering that message since no police monitor that intersection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
@tsaoandy12 What's "very close" in feets or meters? And how long does it takes until the assistant alerts you?
Hmmm I am not sure how to explain this and I am not sure what distance when it occurred. Basically if you are tailgating someone, it will appear. (I know I should not do this, but people need to move out if they driving slow in the very left lane🤣🤣🤣🤣) I will ask my friend to take a picture while I am driving tomorrow if it happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw this alert last night when on purpose drove closer to a bus in front, trying to trigger the alert. It did work, but I have to admit, I was so close to the bus in front that I literally find the alert useless. At 60mph, someone should be insane to drive that close to the car in front. I would take that alert as a rather “if you see this, you are way too close”

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the photos @tsaoandy12
It looks like it is the same distance I often have to the car in front of me, but I've never seen this alert. 🤔

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am having problems in triggering this notification / making this system work. I have this option in the car's menu and can turn it on or off, but it does not make difference to my car's behaviour.

Other Mazda3 owners in my local Polish community are claiming that if they are too close to another car, their car even fails to accelerate when the gas pedal is depressed, thus trying to avoid a collision. They often find this irritating because it makes it difficult to change lanes dynamically.

In my car, I have never seen this notification, let alone had the car reacting this way, even though I often tried to make it happen whilst driving very close to another vehicle (just to test it).

I presume we must be talking about the same system, i.e. DSA (Distance and speed alert) because no other system in the car appears to be able to react in this way (suppressing the vehicle whilst trying to accelerate, which is of course different to emergency braking you can expect from the other safety systems).

I told my dealer about this, they tested my car and claimed that everything was fine (surprise, surprise). Next week I will have my car serviced for another reason and during this time I will get a CX-30 as a temporary replacement / loaner. I intend to check how it works in CX-30, if the system reacts then I will bring this issue up again to my dealer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have this option in the car's menu and can turn it on or off, but it does not make difference to my car's behavior. Other Mazda3 owners in my local Polish community are claiming that if they are too close to another car, their car even fails to accelerate when the gas pedal is depressed, thus trying to avoid a collision. They often find this irritating because it makes it difficult to change lanes dynamically.
DSA does not modify the car's behavior in any way - not sure what those other people are experiencing, but it ain't DSA. It sounds like they're experiencing Adaptive Cruise Control and the vehicle keeping a forced distance between themselves and the vehicle in front.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In some markets DSA will reduce the engine power if you are too near to a car in front of you. That's exactly what @dzonn described.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indeed, I was referring to DSA and not to Adaptive Cruise Control. This behaviour i.e. reducing the engine power / failing to accelerate occurs when Adaptive Cruise Control is off.

If you check Mazda3 Owner's Manual available here: https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/mazda3/mazda3_8hc2eo19a/contents/05283501.html, it states:

The DSA is a system which provides advice for maintaining the appropriate distance between vehicles and notifies the driver of the recommended, safe distance to maintain with a vehicle ahead. The system measures the distance between your vehicle and a vehicle ahead while the vehicle speed is about 30 km/h (19 mph) or faster. If the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead is continuously close, the system alerts the driver of a possible collision using an indication on the display and suppresses your vehicle speed to prevent it from approaching the vehicle ahead too closely.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Indeed, I was referring to DSA and not to Adaptive Cruise Control. This behaviour i.e. reducing the engine power / failing to accelerate occurs when Adaptive Cruise Control is off.

If you check Mazda3 Owner's Manual available here: https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/mazda3/mazda3_8hc2eo19a/contents/05283501.html, it states:

The DSA is a system which provides advice for maintaining the appropriate distance between vehicles and notifies the driver of the recommended, safe distance to maintain with a vehicle ahead. The system measures the distance between your vehicle and a vehicle ahead while the vehicle speed is about 30 km/h (19 mph) or faster. If the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead is continuously close, the system alerts the driver of a possible collision using an indication on the display and suppresses your vehicle speed to prevent it from approaching the vehicle ahead too closely.
Ah, good to know. I've had the DSA warning show in the cluster at times but only at highway speeds, far above 30 km/h.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did some further testing today and have to admit that, much to my surprise, the system actually works.

Now I realise why I did not notice the system work before, even though I was trying to test it out. I was testing it the wrong way. I was aggressively approaching the car in front of me, expecting my car to show some sort of warning and hold me back. This is not how it works. Today, I switched my instruments cluster to the screen where you can see the car icon (as pasted above) and started tailgaiting a truck in a very close distance on the highway (at about 90 kph). As opposed to what I had been doing before, this time I reached and maintaned a constant, very close distance for a while. It was only after some time, maybe 10 seconds, that the system would start to show a warning in the instrument cluster.

At the same time, when I continued to press the gas pedal in the same way (i.e. with the same force), the car would actually start to slow down in order to increase the distance. What is important though is that when I pressed the gas firmly (even without the kick-down) during this process, the car would still accelerate. So it was something in between - the system would indeed suppress the vehicle if you maintain the same throttle, but you can still override it if you press the pedal firmly enough.

I also believe that the notification is only visible on this particular instrument cluster variant where you can see the car. It does not show up where you have the screen with traditional speedometer enabled, nor does it show up on the HUD. This may be another reason why I never noticed the system intervene - I always drive with the traditional speedo.

All in all, the system works but how it works renders it practically useless. I never drive my car that close to the car in front of me, even though I am not the most cautious person. I take it that the other people in my local community either drive their cars more dangerously, or maybe their radars are calibrated differently, so that the system reacts sooner.

I wish this post will help other users understand how this system works and will especially help @JasMan to test it out and confirm that it actually works in his case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts