2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this option be disabled or the angle at which it is activated increased? I believe I can feel a definite lag between me trying to move and the brakes being released as I sometimes feel a resistance when I try to take off aggressively even on the slightest of inclines.

I do not need this feature, I also think this is why the car lost about a second in 0-60 times. Power to weight and gearing the car should've been 6.5 not 7.5.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I haven't run across anything useful except to let off the brake and wait a few seconds for the hill assist to disengage automatically. I would definitely like to know of some other possible solutions!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't think there's anyway to turn it off, except maybe disabling traction control:

 Hill Launch Assist (HLA) does not
operate on a gentle slope. In addition,
the gradient of the slope on which the
system will operate changes depending
on the vehicle's load.
 Hill Launch Assist (HLA) does not
operate if the parking brake is applied,
the vehicle has not stopped completely,
or the clutch pedal is released.
 While Hill Launch Assist (HLA) is
operating, the brake pedal may feel
stiff and vibrate, however, this does not
indicate a malfunction.
Hill Launch Assist (HLA) does not
operate while the TCS/DSC indicator
light is illuminated.

Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on
page 4-20.
turn off even if the DSC OFF switch is
pressed to turn off the TCS/DSC

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Don't think there's anyway to turn it off, except maybe disabling traction control:

operate while the TCS/DSC indicator
light is illuminated.

Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on
page 4-20.
turn off even if the DSC OFF switch is
pressed to turn off the TCS/DSC
There is no way to disable the HLA that anyone has come up with yet. It is possible that there may be something in the ECU that turns it off but otherwise, no, it stays on.:frown2:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't need it either really and don't know how to turn it off, but it has not gotten in the way of anything on my 2016. I have not felt any intervention during a 0-60 run that leads me to believe the hill assist is holding anything up. Let out the clutch and the car goes...of course i'm not starting on hills either

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Can this option be disabled or the angle at which it is activated increased? I believe I can feel a definite lag between me trying to move and the brakes being released as I sometimes feel a resistance when I try to take off aggressively even on the slightest of inclines. I do not need this feature, I also think this is why the car lost about a second in 0-60 times. Power to weight and gearing the car should've been 6.5 not 7.5.
Is it possible that the hillhold feature effects automatic trans cars differently than manuals?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible that the hillhold feature effects automatic trans cars differently than manuals?
I did a little testing today to see how it works. Essentially it holds the brakes for 1 additional second when you let go of the brakes but only if the car is in 1st gear. The car rolls back after 1 second. If you are in neutral it does not do the hill assist and the car rolls back immediately when you get off the brake.

The hill assist engages even on a slight incline and if you let off the brakes and go for the throttle very quickly you wil feel the braking for a split second.

Regarding whether it affects 0-60 or not, until now I did not even think about it. Do the journalists who do these pieces ensure that all the cars they are testing are on a perfectly flat track for the entire run? LOL! Otherwise, the tests can be accurate. In addition they need to run it at the exact same elevation as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of tapping the gas before I start on a hill to disengage it. While it is nice to have in some cases (jerks pulling up too close), hill assist definitely messes with my timing and made me stall once. An on/off switch would be nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pull the ABS fuse ;) Not many cars that dont have hill start assist tied in with the cars ABS system (tone ring etc)

Unfortunately in an era of RSC and TC that causes other undesirable consequences. On the other side of things a skilled foot is always faster to zero than ABS.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
If you have a 2016 or earlier, just lift up the hand brake a hair. When the light goes on the HLA goes off. The light comes on way before the parking brake starts to engage.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have the new e-brake version and hill start assist works fine. You can manually engage and disegnage the e-brake if you don't want the hill start assist to operate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts