2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to disable my ABS, has anyone done this on a 2014+ Mazda 3 yet? If so which fuses do I pull? Usually its one of the fuses under the hood. I can do trial/error method but am hoping someone else has done this before already and knows which one(s) to pull.

Disclaimer, I am not debating why I am doing this, the choice is mine and I want my ABS disabled immediately. Any help in achieving this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try pulling fuse F45.

I am starting to wonder if I should be doing this, with all the stuff possibly tied in like G-Vectoring, electric steering rack.....I kinda want to hear from a few more people before I decide to pull a fuse. Ideally someone who has successfully done this without any unforseen issues.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If it didn't come on you probably would have hit whatever you tried to avoid, and successfully did avoid. ABS works. Anyone who feels they are better at braking than the ABS is either a highly trained individual or severely misguided. But alas we all have the right to make our own choices. But with those choices we must also accept any consequences that occur.

Don

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most of my driving experience has been with non-abs since about 2005. I also continue to drive older cars from the 60's. I prefer the feel of non-abs, but have managed with abs. It seems abs can be reliably driven using similar skills, the brain foot connection, meeting the stopping situation.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its for high performance driving which I have training for. The more I dig the less likely this is possible, the ABS is likely tied into far too many other systems and sensors. If I pull the fuse it will probably compromise other systems like electric steering inputs, g-vectoring, speed sensors, ect. If anyone has successfully disabled ABS on a 2017 Mazda 3 without consequence please post up, but I feel now that this is very unlikely. I may have to take a step back from the Mazda and pickup another Acura Integra and dump some money into it in order to achieve my goals.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It might be a bit early in experience, to think ABS is a limitation. Many other important driving factors to be considered.
There are certain situations I will agree ABS can be helpful, but in this case it is hindering me and causing grief to my objective. As I said, I do not wish to debate this, I know what Im trying to achieve, I well know the limits of my driving, and I well know the capabilities of the vehicle. In this situation ABS is bad and could cause an "off" incident, so if possible within reason, I want to disable my ABS when the situation calls for it.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
You are experiencing the same problems that many police departments did when ABS was first introduced into police chase cars years ago. There were many crashes until the officers got trained to drive with ABS. It turned out in the end that the ABS equipped cars were actually better once they figured out that non-ABS techniques just don't work and new driving skills were needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There are certain situations I will agree ABS can be helpful, but in this case it is hindering me and causing grief to my objective. As I said, I do not wish to debate this, I know what Im trying to achieve, I well know the limits of my driving, and I well know the capabilities of the vehicle. In this situation ABS is bad and could cause an "off" incident, so if possible within reason, I want to disable my ABS when the situation calls for it.
Many track/race cars have ABS, what is your objective and how is the ABS causing your grief ?

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@arathol you can close this thread, it is going nowhere and I will not be getting the answers I was hoping for. I trust the professional race instruction I have received, I trust my abilities behind the wheel, unfortunately that's not enough for M3R users and I don't care to debate this.

/end thread

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Its also possible that you need to be a little more open minded about this. You have apparently got some HPDE training, however that training does not seem to be working for you in whatever it is you are trying to do. If you can't get things to work for you, maybe doing it differently is the way to go.
Its also possible that instead of taking the confrontational approach of "I'm not going to tell you what I am trying to do, don't try to tell me what to do, but I need help doing it", maybe you should explain the problem and ask if anyone else has had similar experiences, if the issue was resolved, and how it was resolved.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Its also possible that you need to be a little more open minded about this. You have apparently got some HPDE training, however that training does not seem to be working for you in whatever it is you are trying to do. If you can't get things to work for you, maybe doing it differently is the way to go.
Its also possible that instead of taking the confrontational approach of "I'm not going to tell you what I am trying to do, don't try to tell me what to do, but I need help doing it", maybe you should explain the problem and ask if anyone else has had similar experiences, if the issue was resolved, and how it was resolved.
I can guarantee that nobody else is driving their 2014+ Mazda 3 in a rallycross manner. I have experienced this problem with ABS before on 2 other vehicles and the only solution was to disable it. I need the brakes/tires to lock/bite down into the gravel to get the proper flick, but with ABS if I try to bite down the system assumes I am out of control and trying to avoid something. As such it compromises my driving line and the maneuver I am trying to achieve. My training is not HPDE, that is for smooth surface racing, my training is dirt/gravel/ice/rallycross style racing. My Integra, RSX, and Accord(ABS disabled) all performed this maneuver as intended. I have a back road out of the way spot to practice this flick maneuver and keep my skills sharpened for when I return to local rallycross. I would not be doing any of this without having received proper professional racing instruction. I also have claimed 1st place in FWD class against some very talented very experienced local competition using my previous Acura Integra. The Mazda 3 has many similar handling characteristics and I believe that if I return to rallycross I have a shot at taking the FWD title building on my previous success and experience. If I need more training, and I will, I have access to some extremely talented local drivers including a Canadian national champion, BMW/Mercedes/Porsche race instructors, and several stage rally drivers. As I grow and build faster cars I will be seeing these individuals to continue building my skills on and off the pavement.

I promise you, its not me, its the car in this particular situation. To obtain what I want I need ABS disabled, which unfortunately does not look like its possible on my 2017 Mazda 3. This leaves me to conclude that I may need to invest in a 2nd vehicle, another Integra, to feed my rallycross desires.

I hope that answers all your burning questions and puts this to bed. I apologize for coming across as arrogant, that was not my intention. Just did not want to hear people saying I shouldn't or can't rallycross my Mazda 3 when in fact I can and am only being held back by an intrusive ABS system, which is a common affliction when racing on dirt/gravel. The system only senses the marbles on the surface and does not realize that biting down would find the desired level of grip, as such I wanted to disable the system if possible. For what I am doing I did not and do not expect many if any members on here to understand my needs in this situation. Racing on loose surface is a very rare skill to have and I almost never encounter individuals on car specific forums who have experience in this field of racing. Pitching a car sideways at 100km/h(60mph) on dirt/gravel while scrubbing speed and flying around an apex takes extreme discipline/focus, and a properly setup car. If I hope to achieve such maneuvers in my Mazda I will need ABS disabled for both the high speed sections and the low speed sections. The low speed sections are what I have been trying to practice as the high speed sections are not safe to practice outside of the races. Both sections must come together smoothly in order to achieve podium finishes which is what I will be chasing in the near future. I will also be attempting ice racing this winter after being an instructor for the past couple years teaching local drivers how to safely handle and maneuver their vehicles when bad situations arise. Every vehicle is different, some do better in ice racing with ABS, some do better without it. I had been hoping I would have the opportunity to try both methods in order to secure the fastest times my Mazda is capable of on the ice racing courses after some trial and error over the first 2 races. My goal is a top 10 finish this season and next season fight my way into a podium position.

Again, I did not mean to come across as arrogant and I apologize for that. I came looking for info about disabling the ABS, @Cookie_Thumper provided a possible means of achieving this, and @arathol via PM provided me with more information, warning me that my Mazda has a great many interconnected systems and that pulling a fuse could cause more headaches than it solves. As such I have reached out to corksport in a last ditch effort to secure a safe method of disabling my ABS when the situation calls for it. As a backup plan I have already begun looking for another Acura Integra should I desire to have a vehicle without ABS at all.

***Disclaimer*** all of the above racing is done on a time trial basis 1 car at a time, zero door to door racing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation of your issue, it now makes sense as to why you want to disable the ABS.

Our race cars are are factory backed by both Mazda Thailand and Mazda Japan and often the Mazda engineers Japan are over here, next time they are here I will ask them how to disable the ABS.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation of your issue, it now makes sense as to why you want to disable the ABS.

Our race cars are are factory backed by both Mazda Thailand and Mazda Japan and often the Mazda engineers Japan are over here, next time they are here I will ask them how to disable the ABS.
That would be greatly appreciated. Thankfully Traction/Stability turns off completely at the touch of a button, some newer vehicles don't turn off completely. That would be a massive headache. ABS is what will hold me back from a Podium finish, I can finish top 10 regardless, but the last couple seconds will be from ABS interfering, in rallycross that is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts