2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!
I'm new to the 3 family and so far I love it.
I do a lot of in and out of my 3 without ever getting on a public road and the seatbelt chime gets annoying after a while (don't worry, I'm religious about buckling up when I drive on a public road).
Is this possible on these new cars? I don't want to just use a dummy buckle as that would be very inconvenient as I do use my seatbelt. I've tried a search on here but was unable to find an answer.

Thanks in advance! :smile2:

·
Banned
125 Posts
Howdy all!
I'm new to the 3 family and so far I love it.
I do a lot of in and out of my 3 without ever getting on a public road and the seatbelt chime gets annoying after a while (don't worry, I'm religious about buckling up when I drive on a public road).
Is this possible on these new cars? I don't want to just use a dummy buckle as that would be very inconvenient as I do use my seatbelt. I've tried a search on here but was unable to find an answer.

Thanks in advance! :smile2:
Yes it is a pain. I must admit to hate wearing the bloody things, always rubbing against your neck, and restricting movement. Before the do-gooders had their way, and got the law changed so you had to put the horrible things on, I never used to wear one. As far as I'm concerned it should be personal choice. Cue the straight A.
As to your question though, I'll be very surprised if it's not computer controlled, as is most things these days.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a 1986 Chevy pickup where the seat belt buzzer was a module you could unplug from a socket under the dash. It started going bad one day and buzzed non-stop whether the seat belt was clipped or not, so I found it and yanked it. Job done. (Disclaimer: I always wear my seat belt)

I assume the chime in our cars is now a bit more complicated. But see if you can find out where the sound comes from. I've never paid any attention to it, but does the chime come from the stereo speakers, or is it a separate sound from somewhere else, maybe under the dash? Maybe there's a little module or speaker, if you can find it, that can simply be unplugged or put a piece of tape over it to muffle the sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 1986 Chevy pickup where the seat belt buzzer was a module you could unplug from a socket under the dash. It started going bad one day and buzzed non-stop whether the seat belt was clipped or not, so I found it and yanked it. Job done. (Disclaimer: I always wear my seat belt)

I assume the chime in our cars is now a bit more complicated. But see if you can find out where the sound comes from. I've never paid any attention to it, but does the chime come from the stereo speakers, or is it a separate sound from somewhere else, maybe under the dash? Maybe there's a little module or speaker, if you can find it, that can simply be unplugged or put a piece of tape over it to muffle the sound.
Not a bad idea, worth looking into at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't get it. Seatbelts shouldn't even have to be a law. They just...make sense. If the vehicle is in motion, put it on.
I completely agree and I always wear my seat belt. But in situations where you have to say; open and close a gate at the end of your driveway, it's pretty stupid to have to buckle up between the garage and the gate just to shut the car up, or else it sits there and dings the whole time you're closing (or opening) said gate. Not to mention I just plain don't like my car telling me what to do, regardless of whether it's legal or not. I've never understood the whole stigma around seat belts, I don't hear my car making any annoying sounds if I drive over the speed limit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The chime is there because most of us are idiots and don't know what's good for us.

Many of us would *not* be bothering with seat belts if there weren't a somewhat annoying chime. The slight inconvenience of buckling up is not as bad as the annoyance caused by the constant ding-ding-ding and that's kind of the genius of it. There'd be so many more cases of serious injury and deaths, especially in the teens-to-30s age group, if not for the chime. We're just lazy chimps that aren't very good at evaluating risk.

Maybe people here don't get into serious accidents, but I'm sure most of us have close friends and family that have and there's a good chance a decent number of them wouldn't have been wearing their seat belt if not for the chime. I know my dad would be one of the lazy ones, and I'm thankful that the chime was there when he got into a somewhat gnarly accident but was able to walk away unscathed.

I get that it'd be annoying to listen to when having to listen to it when opening and closing the gate, but why not instead think of it as the slightly nagging but helpful tone that's probably saved countless lives? :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I completely agree and I always wear my seat belt. But in situations where you have to say; open and close a gate at the end of your driveway, it's pretty stupid to have to buckle up between the garage and the gate just to shut the car up, or else it sits there and dings the whole time you're closing (or opening) said gate. Not to mention I just plain don't like my car telling me what to do, regardless of whether it's legal or not. I've never understood the whole stigma around seat belts, I don't hear my car making any annoying sounds if I drive over the speed limit.
And then it gets to be a habit and you forget to put it on once past the gate one day

·
Banned
125 Posts
The chime is there because most of us are idiots and don't know what's good for us.

Many of us would *not* be bothering with seat belts if there weren't a somewhat annoying chime. The slight inconvenience of buckling up is not as bad as the annoyance caused by the constant ding-ding-ding and that's kind of the genius of it. There'd be so many more cases of serious injury and deaths, especially in the teens-to-30s age group, if not for the chime. We're just lazy chimps that aren't very good at evaluating risk.

Maybe people here don't get into serious accidents, but I'm sure most of us have close friends and family that have and there's a good chance a decent number of them wouldn't have been wearing their seat belt if not for the chime. I know my dad would be one of the lazy ones, and I'm thankful that the chime was there when he got into a somewhat gnarly accident but was able to walk away unscathed.

I get that it'd be annoying to listen to when having to listen to it when opening and closing the gate, but why not instead think of it as the slightly nagging but helpful tone that's probably saved countless lives? :)
Then there's all the serious road crash cases where everybody was wearing a seat-belt, but everyone was still killed. Yeah seat belts came in real helpful there. Not to mention the cases where the car left the road, and was submerged in a river, and in the panic to get out people couldn't get their seat-belts off and drowned. Just another case where seat-belts came in real helpful. Not. They're only ok in minor fender benders, anything serious and your stuffed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't get it. If something doesn't work 100% of the time and has any side effects, then it's not worth using ever?

Pretty sure in those serious road crashes, not wearing a seat belt wouldn't have saved you, so having seat belts for minor to moderately serious crashes where the occupant space isn't compromised is still a net win. I don't have hard numbers, but I'm sure cases of cars sinking in water happen a lot less than accidents on the road. Maybe it's different where you are and this is anecdotal, but I don't think I've seen any accident scenes where a car is fully submerged in water. Accidents just tend to happen on roads.

And really, it's not hard to get around it if you wanted to. As others have posted, just get a cheapo buckle extender. Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
OK, listen up. I had to delete a couple posts in this thread already. Any more posts like that and the thread will be locked and somebody is getting some time in band camp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting back on subject...my original question was if there is any way to stop the chime the 2014+ Mazda 3 makes when the seat belt is not buckled. I did not ask anyone's opinion regarding operating a vehicle without having your seat belt fastened. Can we please stick to the original question? Thanks :smile2::thumbup 1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
A little research suggests this is usually something in the ECU and a dealership may be willing to change it. You'll likely have to sign disclaimer forms for them to do this, and not all dealerships may be willing to do it. Read whatever you sign very carefully and know what you're signing.

Reminder that this is an important safety feature, and you may want/need it reenabled when selling the car.

With some searching, you may also find suggestions of disconnecting wires under the car. I highly advise not doing this unless you really know what you're doing. There are wires that interact w/ the airbag system (likely weight sensors and also seat belt sensor wires). Screwing these up may seriously affect the entire SRS airbag system.

If you go this route, I'd be curious what forms you had to sign as well as what's stated in the forms.

Also very interesting to think about the implications here w.r.t. insurance as well...

·
Registered
34 Posts
My suggestion: If your gate is far, put on your seatbelt. If it's close, a short walk won't hurt you. How far is your gate that you can't walk to it, but doesn't make sense to put on the seatbelt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a 1986 Chevy pickup where the seat belt buzzer was a module you could unplug from a socket under the dash. It started going bad one day and buzzed non-stop whether the seat belt was clipped or not, so I found it and yanked it. Job done.
Thanks for the suggestion vondiesel, this ended up being the solution I used.
Although, this won't be for most people as the same buzzer that causes the seat belt chime is also for pretty much every other chime the car makes too e.g. turn signal, door ajar, etc. I never cared for these chimes either so I was more than happy to remove the buzzer completely. The job was very easy and straight forward.
1. Set the steering wheel all the way out and down to give you the most space to work with.
2. Remove the instrument cluster cover. The cover isn't bolted down, just pull it towards you and it comes right off. The start button is connected to this so it will need to be unplugged. The fabric will need to be removed as well, it's just hooked onto the cover in around 10 spots.
3. Four bolts hold the IC onto the car, you can't miss em. Then a single plug (this may differ for models with active driving display).
4. No need to fully dissemble the IC (as I did in the pictures) just remove the clear (or white) back cover that gives access to the circuit board.
5. Remove the buzzer (see pictures), it's the little black, cylinder shaped piece marked RMX-12. I grabbed it with pliers and twisted until the glue broke loose.
6. All done, just put everything back together.
This triggered a CEL but it went away after an hour or so; I'm guessing unplugging the IC is what caused the CEL.
Now my little Mazda doesn't make a single annoying buzz or ding.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts